Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you think your H.S. football team is/was good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
    Also I can't believe that a Carthage faithful hasn't chimed in yet
    I didn’t go to Carthage, but my wife did. We make 3-4 games each year. That coach has built something awesome there. Their coach can be a little ballsy at times but you can’t say his team isn’t prepared come playoff time. He has more state championships than playoff losses.

Comment

I think the most impressive thing about that 83 Daingerfield team was that they only gave up 6 points. Wow!!!

Comment

Cool post OP, they were a great team.

I don't know about other schools but Katy High doesn't need to recruit, "football parents" move into the Katy zone long before their kids are varsity eligible. Every realtor in that part of town has the KHS attendance zone clearly marked for all aspiring Tigers.. When I was a principal in that area, every year there would be some KHS transfers into our district that realized they were not going to make the cut at KHS, usually as 10th graders.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
          Y'all have some great teams down there. Wish we would have had a bye week so I could have watched when y'all came to Mart this year.

99 Mart team is IMO probably the best team ever below 3A.
          That’s who beat Boyd in the state game.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
            You don’t have to be a star to get recruited, just better than average.
            Put a bunch of better than average abs you are good and have more depth than the next team.
            My wife is a 20 yr high school coach. We talk to a lot of coaches.
            Not to mention the Recruiting I see happening in youth football where there are local jr high coaches coaching kids in elementary and jr high from other districts and working very hard to get those kids into their districts.
            You look at north shore high school, it’s not coincidence that they are loaded every year but just down the street channelview, Baytown or Crosby arent on the same level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            So ask them to name somebody recruited at Katy.

To me, Recruiting is Allen offering Kyler Murray’s Dad a job while the rest of his family stayed home except for Dad/Kyler. I have yet to see an instance even remotely close to this at Katy. I see people moving into Katy’s zone very early on. Not freshman/sophomore year of high school.

I’m sure there is coaches talking to parents when they are inquiring about a move but I don’t see coaches traveling across the state to get players from other schools at Katy. I’ve been following Katy for a while and just do not want to sit back and listen to people say Katy recruits when I haven’t seen it or heard of it. Maybe we just have different definition of what recruiting is, but it’s frustrating when you see Brock Sturges relocate to Allen from 7 Lakes in Katy and it’s okayed by the UIL, but katy plays a 4-5th string TE who was okayed by the district and they almost get DQ’d in he 2015 season.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              LOL!!! Tell that to Brookshire Royal HS just up the road who have lost more than their share of players over the years to nearby Katy HS.
              The next closest quality school zone from Royal HS is Katy. If somebody has a kid who has a future in football are the parents going to keep them at Royal or make a move into a football program that will give their son some shots? Not to mention Katyisd is the number 1 sought after school district. No brainer and it takes zero recruiting. Parents come talk with the coaches all the time, kids who try moving freshman/sophomore year to a program like Katy usually don’t start because it takes years to learn the Katy system as simple as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
                The next closest quality school zone from Royal HS is Katy. If somebody has a kid who has a future in football are the parents going to keep them at Royal or make a move into a football program that will give their son some shots? Not to mention Katyisd is the number 1 sought after school district. No brainer and it takes zero recruiting. Parents come talk with the coaches all the time, kids who try moving freshman/sophomore year to a program like Katy usually don’t start because it takes years to learn the Katy system as simple as it is.
                add in the fact that Royal is comparatively a terrible school academically. people fail to understand that KISD is ranked highly. people want to move there. there are certain parents that want their kids to play at the best program in the school district.

far cry from the constant bleatings of "recruiting". it's actually funny to listen to people talk about it. they know someone, that knows someone that got an apartment paid by Katy.

Comment

So ask them to name somebody recruited at Katy.

To me, Recruiting is Allen offering Kyler Murray’s Dad a job while the rest of his family stayed home except for Dad/Kyler. I have yet to see an instance even remotely close to this at Katy. I see people moving into Katy’s zone very early on. Not freshman/sophomore year of high school.

I’m sure there is coaches talking to parents when they are inquiring about a move but I don’t see coaches traveling across the state to get players from other schools at Katy. I’ve been following Katy for a while and just do not want to sit back and listen to people say Katy recruits when I haven’t seen it or heard of it. Maybe we just have different definition of what recruiting is, but it’s frustrating when you see Brock Sturges relocate to Allen from 7 Lakes in Katy and it’s okayed by the UIL, but katy plays a 4-5th string TE who was okayed by the district and they almost get DQ’d in he 2015 season.

you are real home town fan, and seem To be pretty defensive, don’t take it personally but it’s always happening whether you want to believe it or not. Recruiting is anything as simple as a coach (or parent / qb club ) whispering to a kid that they should really consider moving into their attendance zone, it doesn’t have be a suit case full of money.
                  And it’s always frustrating when you play team with a player or players that you know were recruited.

It’s not limited to Katy it happens everywhere and not only in football or boys sports, girls are just as bad.

Comment

you are real home town fan, and seem To be pretty defensive, don’t take it personally but it’s always happening whether you want to believe it or not. Recruiting is anything as simple as a coach (or parent / qb club ) whispering to a kid that they should really consider moving into their attendance zone, it doesn’t have be a suit case full of money.
                    And it’s always frustrating when you play team with a player or players that you know were recruited.

It’s not limited to Katy it happens everywhere and not only in football or boys sports, girls are just as bad.

Fair enough, I think we have a different definition of recruiting which is why I seemed more defensive. I don’t think there should be a rule against a coach telling a parent they should move out this way to play etc. Its when something is offered on top of that which bothers me. Like the example I gave.

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Fair enough, I think we have a different definition of recruiting which is why I seemed more defensive. I don’t think there should be a rule against a coach telling a parent they should move out this way to play etc. Its when something is offered on top of that which bothers me. Like the example I gave.
                        Yes. I agree, that nobody is getting paid or having apartments rented for them. I meant more subtle "recruitment". Why rent an apartment when Mom can be employed as a cafeteria worker or teacher's aid. It happens at lots of places and probably has long before Katy became a powerhouse.

Comment

7on7 for football, AAU for basketball and Select for baseball and softball have made it so much easier. My daughters play AAU basketball and this past summer as incoming Freshmen, I was approached by two different coaches looking for a PG and had interest in Paige. She shows a lot of promise and they need talent in their pipeline.

It's out of control in Basketball, but getting almost as bad in football.

Comment

Originally posted by venado View Post
                            Texas has produced some dandy players and teams. Years ago I always followed the Texas vs Pennsylvania HS Football contests. If anyone is interested, check this link:

https://www.si.com/vault/1989/01/08/...s-pennsylvania
                            Pennsylvania has a few fine football players too. Off the top of my head:
                            Joe Namath
                            Joe Montana
                            Johnny Unitas
                            Dan Marino
                            Jim Kelly
                            That's just QB's
                            Tony Dorsett
                            Curtis Martin
                            Lasean McCoy
                            Andre Reed
                            Fred Biletnikoff
                            Lenny Moore
                            Marvin Harrison
                            Aaron Donald
                            Jason Taylor
                            Randy White
                            Mike Ditka
                            Mike Munchak
                            Matt Millen
                            Jack Ham
                            Ty Law
                            Darrell Revis

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              Yes. I agree, that nobody is getting paid or having apartments rented for them. I meant more subtle "recruitment". Why rent an apartment when Mom can be employed as a cafeteria worker or teacher's aid. It happens at lots of places and probably has long before Katy became a powerhouse.

Southlake Carrol's recruiting budget is probably bigger than some colleges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X