How many ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many ??

Leases have you been on in the last 20 years. This year will be the 7th lease I have been on since 1998. One lasted for 9 years and the rest were 1 or 2 years. Some we left because no deer, some were sold, land owner died, some were leased for more money and lost a good one because the lease manager kept the money and did not pay the land owner(she still let us hunt though). I have seemed to be the one who always finds them since I ask and ask and ask. So my magic # is 7.

2! One lasted 16yrs, and was the best lease I have ever been on. The oilfield finally moved in and ruined it! Now I own my own place to deer hunt, but still have to beg for places to pig hunt.

Bisch

Comment

3. Family land, one lease for just one year, and have been on my current lease for 4 years

Comment

I have been a member on the same lease for 17 years now. I've been on this lease sense I started bow hunting at the age of 10.

Comment

3. This will be my 8th year on my current lease and don't foresee leaving anytime soon.

Comment

Been on the same lease for 15 years

Comment

4th one.
              1st was OK, but weird landowner. Lasted 2 years.
              2nd was OK, but oil pipeline put in diagonally across long rectangular property after second year. We left.
              3rd was very good. Lasted 9 years. Owner/'friend' weirded out, left our church, gave us a false reason to remove all hunters.
              4th is new this year.

Comment

0 for me

Comment

3 pretty decent leases early on, but I've been blessed to be on a family members land for the last 7 or 8 years.

Comment

I've been on three leases and the current one for 8 years. Sadly it's going down hill and while I may keep it I'll be looking to join another in a year or two.

Comment

This may go back a bit farther than 20 years - let's see if I can remember them all....
                      1st was near Gorman
                      2nd near Loving
                      3rd was near Archer City
                      4th around Cross Plains
                      5th south of Putnam
                      6th south of Baird
                      7th just north of Cisco
                      We lease a small acreage now but it is adjacent to a property recently acquired by my hunting partner. This is my last stop as far as leasing goes - never again. If/when I lose my current arrangement I will be content with shooting 3D and the occasional hunting invite.

Comment

My lucky number is 7 too. Half those years were spent on one and 5 on another. The other five leases were one and done.

Hunting my own land this year. Hope I never have to lease again, other than just to have a different place to go.

Comment

4 leases in the last 20 years.

Chico
                          Jacksboro
                          Jacksboro
                          Coleman area
                          Family owns property now, no more leasing.

Comment

6 three were lost due death of owner and kids selling.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                              6 three were lost due death of owner and kids selling.

We lost a couple that way too - pretty common I guess. Lost a couple more because our group fell apart. Had two that looked like great habitat but we saw very few deer. In both those cases we discovered that the landowner's extended family was hunting it hard - shooting the place up when we weren't there. I quit one mid-season because the lease manager was a jerk and hated bow hunters. There were some good times along the way but a helluva' lot of aggravation and disappointment too.

Comment

Working...
                              X