String silencers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String silencers?

I was just wondering what type of string silencers y'all like to use on your longbows? I've got some beaver balls on mine and I've never tried anything else.

I make my own out of 100% wool yarn from Hobby Lobby. 1 skein of yarn costs about $8 and I can make a gazillion silencers out of it.

Bisch

Comment

Bisch thats a great idea, that has to be super quiet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        I make my own out of 100% wool yarn from Hobby Lobby. 1 skein of yarn costs about $8 and I can make a gazillion silencers out of it.

Bisch
        Brilliant!

Comment

sheep wool is the best I just go pull some off of my four horns, black or white I can dye the white to any color I want

Comment

Originally posted by Dubya View Post
            Bisch thats a great idea, that has to be super quiet?
            They work very well.

All I do is wrap the yarn around my fingers on one hand, then tie in the middle with a piece of serving thread. (How many wraps you make around your fingers depends on the thickness of the yarn. A little experimenting and you figure it out pretty fast.)

Then separate the bundles of the string and put half of the yarn and 1 end of the serving thread thru the string.

Then tie a square knot in the serving thread around one of the string bundles.

String up the bow.

Use a pair of scissors to cut all the loops in the yarn on both sides of the string.

Go shoot the bow and after the puff has frizzed out, trim to a nice round shape.

Bisch
            Last edited by Bisch; 06-07-2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I tanned a grey fox I shot with my long bow an cut a couple of strips of the hide with fur out an made my own type of beaver ball. Worked good for me

Comment

String whiskers for me. I need something that is water proof/resistant. The only downside is sometim es they do trap water, but all you gotta do is pluck the string a little to get the moisture out.

Comment

Bisch
                  I do the same thing.

Comment

I do the same as Bisch. You can buy CAMO pattern wool yarn. I have one that is dark green, light green and yellow. My other is earth tones brown dark and light yellow and orange. Works great and wool is fairly water resistant

Comment

I like to use Acrylic Yarn.

38 strands X 2" length
                      Make a perfect little round puff.

Works just like wool, but is lighter in weight.
                      Finished weight of these is 16gr.

Comes in a multitude of colors, so the sky is the limit as to what you can make them look like.

This one is suppose to resemble a gobbler's tail fan feather.

Rick
                      Attached Files

Comment

Bisch
                        This, except its acrylic

Comment

I use beaver!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                            I use beaver!
                            Never seen a beaver that was quiet!

Comment

Ya got to tie them real tight!

Comment

Working...