Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Hillary
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria & Bandera County
Default Colorado, Unit 62, 3rd Season Mule Deer

Looking for advice, tips, if anyone has drawn or hunted this area.
We are 3rd season, Early November. I have found some info on-the-line but looking to see if anyone from TBH has experience in that area.

Thanks
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Hillary
Pope & Young

Bump for fun
Old 06-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #3
Billy02
Nubbin' Buck

Im sorry, i wish i could help. but best of luck
Billy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary View Post
Bump for fun

Do you have a general area picked out? Is it your first time in 62? How do you feel about packing in 3 or 4 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-Man View Post
Do you have a general area picked out? Is it your first time in 62? How do you feel about packing in 3 or 4 miles?

First time hunting in 62 and Colorado.
We donít have a set spot picked out yet, we are making a trip here in about a month to scout out as much as we can. Looking to stick towards the divide rd.
I feel comfortable packing out. We will be in a team of 2. If you have a location for us to check out I would be willing to put up with the pain!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Your gonna see alot of orange. This is one of the most heavily hunted units in the state. Theres some big ones in there though. Good luck. I would try and get away from the divide as far as you can. That road is like an interstate of atvs during the season.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Pmíed you.

Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Your gonna see alot of orange. This is one of the most heavily hunted units in the state. Theres some big ones in there though. Good luck. I would try and get away from the divide as far as you can. That road is like an interstate of atvs during the season.

Thatís what I am finding about divide rd. We are going up in about a month to get a feel for the area.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Join, or at least follow, hunttalk forums. Search on there for unit 62. That forum has guys who have hunted elk, sheep, moose, and deer more hours than I have been alive.

If you really want to start scouting, start by desk scouting. Watch the Randy Newberg desk scouting video's. He will give you more tips and tricks, and your mind will be blown as to what is online that can help you narrow your search within the unit. For example, the state of Colorado has a website that shows various species winter ranges, summer ranges, migratory corridors, etc....his video's will point you to that stuff.

Call the local biologist, and even the ranger station. Those guys will have more info for you if you ask questions right. Gohunt has a story on how to ask the correct questions from a biologist.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/d...ng-a-biologist

Finally, don't ask questions like "what are some tips/tricks/places to check out". No one ever gives those out, and it comes across as lazy to guys and gals who put in the desk scouting/field scouting time, and they will be less likely to share anything with you. What specifically do you want to know?

I'm not trying to be a ****, but you will only get responses that are generally correct, like "there is lots of orange" or "there is not a lot of orange if you want to pack way in". Those two statements contradict each other, and do not help you very much in picking a spot to hunt.

Good luck this fall!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Hillary
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Good luck this fall!

I completely agree with your points.
I have been desk scouting for hours a day. My google earth has many pins at this point. I have also tracked migratory patterns and found the resource map you mentioned. Which has helped tremendously.
I am sure that we will have a large learners curve with things that you can only learn in the field.
I am also sure that I will have more specific questions when the hunt gets closer.