Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #51
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
What facts can you add to your opinion? Why are you so mad at Holden and Double Down? Why are you, TKK, and GingiB so butt hurt?
Just your post above is a perfect example - butt hurt? No...... just rational people not buying into the hype that you have chosen to buy into

I am not mad at holden or DD. Never said it was not a good feed. If any other feed company was doing the same silly "over promotion" of their feed I would feel the same

What I (and many many others object to) is the over promotion, info commercial type hype that the DD people put out.

Some of us have been around long enough to recognize the exaggeration
when we see it. Some of the sensationalized claims about what this feed does is silly IMO.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of hunters out there cannot put feeders out every 100 acres and do not have an unlimited feed bill. It is very close to being a feed lot whether you want to admit it or not. I have even read claims that "deer will pass up natural browse so they can eat DD feed" - who in their right mind would believe that if you know anything about free range deer?

So for the average hunter, feeding enough DD to produce 200 inch deer will never happen. But the promotion draws people in on the hope that they too can reproduce what Holdens ranch does. I do not like seeing people being taken advantage of and spending their hard earned money on promoters. So if you think that is being "butt hurt" then go ahead and believe that.

Last but not least - if anyone dares to question the miracle feed, the "soldiers" come out in force to bash anyone who dares question their feed - please observe what your response will be to this post - you will prove my point by your response.

Last edited by TKK; 04-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #52
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
Just your post above is a perfect example - butt hurt? No...... just rational people not buying into the hype that you have chosen to buy into

I am not mad at holden or DD. Never said it was not a good feed. If any other feed company was doing the same silly "over promotion" of their feed I would feel the same

What I (and many many others object to) is the over promotion, info commercial type hype that the DD people put out.

when we see it. Some of the sensationalized claims about what this feed does is silly IMO.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of hunters out there cannot put feeders out every 100 acres and do not have an unlimited feed bill. It is very close to being a feed lot whether you want to admit it or not. I have even read claims that "deer will pass up natural browse so they can eat DD feed" - who in their right mind would believe that if you know anything about free range deer?

So for the average hunter, feeding enough DD to produce 200 inch deer will never happen. But the promotion draws people in on the hope that they too can reproduce what Holdens ranch does. I do not like seeing people being taken advantage of and spending their hard earned money on promoters.

Last but not least - if anyone dares to question the miracle feed, the "soldiers" come out in force to bash anyone who dares question their feed - please observe what your response will be to this post -

SO, what do I mean by "there is a sucker born every minute?" - I will let you ponder on that
Very very well said..... I agree 100 percent with your post. Except for the last sentence I'll stay out of y'alls bickering
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #53
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Very very well said..... I agree 100 percent with your post. Except for the last sentence I'll stay out of y'alls bickering
LOL I deleted the last sentence just for you - I do not like bickering either - you made a good point
Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #54
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
LOL I deleted the last sentence just for you - I do not like bickering either - you made a good point
Old 04-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #55
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK
Default Double Down attraction capabilities

Iím Not currently feeding protein... but can DD or any of the others be broadcast out of a timed corn feeder? Iím sure itís not ideal, but better than nothing I reckon.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #56
Doublelunger
Four Point

I think its a great product and kudos to him for growing an awesome place. There’s no doubt he changed the bell curve on his place but i have some questions after listening to his podcast on youtube with wildbuck. If its so great why do they still feed cottonseed. Peanuts grow underground, do deer even eat them in the wild or do they eat the plant? If they claim its not for penned deer cuz forage is needed with it, then why brag about deer making their biggest jumps at 11 years old because they have no teeth and only being able to eat double down cuz how palatable it is. If the deer live at the protein feeder and you shut them off to run timed feeders during the day, why did it take 44 hunts to kill your deer. And most importantly how was he able to make 44 hunts during bow season(i am hating on that cuz jealousy). That being said, i think the higher tdn makes it great and helps but i think his success has more to do with his management program than type of protein he feeds but if you can afford it cant hurt to try it
Doublelunger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #57
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Mexico
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublelunger View Post
I think its a great product and kudos to him for growing an awesome place. There’s no doubt he changed the bell curve on his place but i have some questions after listening to his podcast on youtube with wildbuck. If its so great why do they still feed cottonseed. Peanuts grow underground, do deer even eat them in the wild or do they eat the plant? If they claim its not for penned deer cuz forage is needed with it, then why brag about deer making their biggest jumps at 11 years old because they have no teeth and only being able to eat double down cuz how palatable it is. If the deer live at the protein feeder and you shut them off to run timed feeders during the day, why did it take 44 hunts to kill your deer. And most importantly how was he able to make 44 hunts during bow season(i am hating on that cuz jealousy). That being said, i think the higher tdn makes it great and helps but i think his success has more to do with his management program than type of protein he feeds but if you can afford it cant hurt to try it

I am feeding Bee County Coop feed. My deer eat WAY less than when I was feeding DD.
Feed bill has been knocked way down. My deer are Fat and Sassy.
Guess they are getting all they need and don't need to stand at the feeder 24/7.
Bee County Coop only uses the best quality feed products, no fillers.
Trust me, they told me so, only top quality stuff!!!
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #58
taylormade820
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Clay, Young county

In my experience from North Texas to West Texas... big mature bucks don't like to be near feeders at all. In fact, all my big deer stay 40+ yards away from them when chasing doe, and they have one specific pattern, living nocturnal.... and it is absolutely frustrating for a bow hunter. But, you will get lucky in November..
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #59
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post

I am feeding Bee County Coop feed. My deer eat WAY less than when I was feeding DD.
Feed bill has been knocked way down. My deer are Fat and Sassy.
Guess they are getting all they need and don't need to stand at the feeder 24/7.
Bee County Coop only uses the best quality feed products, no fillers.
Trust me, they told me so, only top quality stuff!!!
+ if you buy 12 tons, delivery is free.
It is $380/ton for 17% and $420/ton for 20%.
If I were you Black Gold, I would put either DD or this Superior Bee County coop feed in your spin feeder with your corn and feed it timed with your corn.

Last edited by bukkskin; 04-18-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #60
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
Peyton, I will chime in here.
First off, I think DD is a GREAT feed. I have fed a lot of it. Second, I love what Bret is doing over on the Holden pasture. It's Awesome!!!
I think what annoys people is the fact that THEY(Holden group) put up high fence to keep the deer from jumping the fence and getting killed by certain neighbors. Then put "LOW FENCE" in every title. It don't bother me, but I can see some peoples point on that.

Let’s clarify...you do not line up a fence line with 30+ Temporary feeder pens while you pay for a high fence to be put up to keep deer from jumping out....you do this to get them to jump in.

Frankly I have nothing against the feed...Holden has screwed a lot of people over that have gotten on his lease only to be denied to shoot a buck but when they left after a weekend hunt...Holden’s buddy’s or family shot the deer. It’s a proven fact if you are not in his click you will be used just to fill a spot. Frankly I’m surprised someone hasn’t really whipped his short *ss really good.

And yes he has done a lot a good things for hunts for kids, etc...but if we are gonna call a spade a spade then we will call the whole spade - not just the positive half people want to talk about.

Again I have nothing against the feed...

As far as Peyton ...he seems to get his Napoleon panties in a wad when either Holden or DD gets commented on.
RINCON is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #61
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post
Letís clarify...you do not line up a fence line with 30+ Temporary feeder pens while you pay for a high fence to be put up to keep deer from jumping out....you do this to get them to jump in.

Frankly I have nothing against the feed...Holden has screwed a lot of people over that have gotten on his lease only to be denied to shoot a buck but when they left after a weekend hunt...Holdenís buddyís or family shot the deer. Itís a proven fact if you are not in his click you will be used just to fill a spot. Frankly Iím surprised someone hasnít really whipped his short *ss really good.

And yes he has done a lot a good things for hunts for kids, etc...but if we are gonna call a spade a spade then we will call the whole spade - not just the positive half people want to talk about.

Again I have nothing against the feed...

As far as Peyton ...he seems to get his Napoleon panties in a wad when either Holden or DD gets commented on.

Quote:

So for the average hunter, feeding enough DD to produce 200 inch deer will never happen. But the promotion draws people in on the hope that they too can reproduce what Holdens ranch does. I do not like seeing people being taken advantage of and spending their hard earned money on promoters. So if you think that is being "butt hurt" then go ahead and believe that.

Last but not least - if anyone dares to question the miracle feed, the "soldiers" come out in force to bash anyone who dares question their feed - please observe what your response will be to this post - you will prove my point by your response.

Both of yíall have personal grievances or opinions again Holden, but admit he created a good product. Iíve heard your opinions before, but you continue to sí*t on every DD thread on TBH.

I know Brett but I will not be a part of his marketing. Iíve repeatedly told him to tone it down and resisted his requests to use my pics in his advertising. The fact is that he brought a new product to market and there is a lot of exposure in a short time. Maybe his style works. Iím able to look beyond the internetís opinion and evaluate a product compared to its competition. Iíve fed other brands that were inconsistent ingredients, inconsistent availability, and unpredictable. I switched to DD in Ď15 because I was tired of profit dictating the ingredients of the feed I was buying. Highest TDN, higher consumption, and a consistent recipe win in my book. My opinion is that DD is a good, consistent product.

If they hang their hat on LF giants at least theyíre not like Purina or L&E that consistently promote their feed with pics of BREEDER BUCKS.

Yíall can call me all the names you want, it only exposes the weakness of your opinions. I only speak up because you continue to dogpile every thread about DD.

I buy it, you donít. Move on!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #62
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
Both of yíall have personal grievances or opinions again Holden, but admit he created a good product. Iíve heard your opinions before, but you continue to sí*t on every DD thread on TBH.

I know Brett but I will not be a part of his marketing. Iíve repeatedly told him to tone it down and resisted his requests to use my pics in his advertising. The fact is that he brought a new product to market and there is a lot of exposure in a short time. Maybe his style works. Iím able to look beyond the internetís opinion and evaluate a product compared to its competition. Iíve fed other brands that were inconsistent ingredients, inconsistent availability, and unpredictable. I switched to DD in Ď15 because I was tired of profit dictating the ingredients of the feed I was buying. Highest TDN, higher consumption, and a consistent recipe win in my book. My opinion is that DD is a good, consistent product.

If they hang their hat on LF giants at least theyíre not like Purina or L&E that consistently promote their feed with pics of BREEDER BUCKS.

Yíall can call me all the names you want, it only exposes the weakness of your opinions. I only speak up because you continue to dogpile every thread about DD.

Unfortunately you exposed your struggles to comprehend what you read...I stated I have nothing against the feed...what part of that do you not understand?

Secondly what I stated about Holden is not a Fín opinion...it is pure fact. If you do not know anything about it then donít comment.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #63
Peyton
Pope & Young

Apparently, youíre OPINION must be heard. Do you have anything to say about the OPís topic? According to posts other than mine, DD is more attractive than its competitors. Have you bought any and want to share your actual experience or do you want to continue to spew your hate based on your personal opinion?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #64
Peyton
Pope & Young

I think Iíll have a cocktail 🤫
Old 04-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #65
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
Apparently, youíre OPINION must be heard. Do you have anything to say about the OPís topic? According to posts other than mine, DD is more attractive than its competitors. Have you bought any and want to share your actual experience or do you want to continue to spew your hate based on your personal opinion?
Iím embarrassed for you...that can not decipher the difference between opinion and fact.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #66
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iím embarrassed for you...that can not decipher the difference between opinion and fact.

Aww

Please tell me where Iím wrong about the product. Leave your personal opinions at the door. Itís childish that you have to resort to name calling, vague insults, and personal attacks to try to make a point, while admitting that the product you consistently sí*t on is good. If you donít like ďitĒ, donít buy it. We heard ya.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #67
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
Aww

Please tell me where Iím wrong about the product. Leave your personal opinions at the door. Itís childish that you have to resort to name calling, vague insults, and personal attacks to try to make a point, while admitting that the product you consistently sí*t on is good. If you donít like ďitĒ, donít buy it. We heard ya.
Ugh....seriously you should have someone read and explain for you.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #68
Peyton
Pope & Young

Default Double Down attraction capabilities

Quote:
Ugh....seriously you should have someone read and explain for you.

Again, so weak and vague. Pick up your panties and speak to your actual experience with DD, not where it hurt you.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #69
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Well....let me get off the current topic and back to the topic at hand.

I was contacted by Bee County Co-Op this week which is a feed very close to the same TDN% as DD. They got me some of their feed in hand and Iím going to do my best to do a side-by-side comparison taste test of the two in front of a game camera. I tried this once before with another feed, but had some technical difficulties, but with a couple new cameras will give this a shot. We are headed to fill feeders out west first week of May and will try it then. We shall see.

Thank you all for your responses and feedback above. It has been a plethora of knowledge and opinions to read thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #70
Peyton
Pope & Young

Actual experience should be whatís important here.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #71
RINCON
Ten Point

Peyton...follow along and let me simplify it for you.

I stated that I have nothing against the product.

You keep harping to me about the product and stated “tell me where I am wrong about the product”...

And DD has not hurt me...I do not have a dog in the DD fight!

I have only expressed facts about Holden.

You read Holden and your mind immediately comprehends DD...seriously dude are you that stupid?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #72
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Peyton...follow along and let me simplify it for you.

I stated that I have nothing against the product.

You keep harping to me about the product and stated ďtell me where I am wrong about the productĒ...

And DD has not hurt me...I do not have a dog in the DD fight!

I have only expressed facts about Holden.

You read Holden and your mind immediately comprehends DD...seriously dude are you that stupid?

Does this thread or any other thread youíve sí*t on have HIS name on it?

Your personal attack is obvious, tired, and weak. You have nothing to say about the product.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #73
Mexico
Pope & Young

Y'all need to stop drinking while TBH'n and feed the darn deer as you please. MOST feeds on the market today are enough to get the "supplemental" box checked. DD is an awesome feed as many others are also. But they don't shove their feed down my throat...i can show plenty of studs that aren't pen deer with LnE but what would I gain? Notta... Just as fair I'm sure many others could brag about their DD or Purina bucks...
Old 04-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #74
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Y'all need to stop drinking while TBH'n and feed the darn deer as you please. MOST feeds on the market today are enough to get the "supplemental" box checked. DD is an awesome feed as many others are also. But they don't shove their feed down my throat...i can show plenty of studs that aren't pen deer with LnE but what would I gain? Notta... Just as fair I'm sure many others could brag about their DD or Purina bucks...

Box checked
Old 04-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #75
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Both of y’all have personal grievances or opinions again Holden, but admit he created a good product. I’ve heard your opinions before, but you continue to s’*t on every DD thread on TBH.

I know Brett but I will not be a part of his marketing. I’ve repeatedly told him to tone it down and resisted his requests to use my pics in his advertising. The fact is that he brought a new product to market and there is a lot of exposure in a short time. Maybe his style works. I’m able to look beyond the internet’s opinion and evaluate a product compared to its competition. I’ve fed other brands that were inconsistent ingredients, inconsistent availability, and unpredictable. I switched to DD in ‘15 because I was tired of profit dictating the ingredients of the feed I was buying. Highest TDN, higher consumption, and a consistent recipe win in my book. My opinion is that DD is a good, consistent product.

If they hang their hat on LF giants at least they’re not like Purina or L&E that consistently promote their feed with pics of BREEDER BUCKS.

Y’all can call me all the names you want, it only exposes the weakness of your opinions. I only speak up because you continue to dogpile every thread about DD.

I buy it, you don’t. Move on!

Please re-read the first sentence of my post.

You also agreed with what I stated was my only issue with DD - I said it is over promoted - you stated the exact same in your post. So we do agree on something!

Adios

Last edited by TKK; 04-22-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #76
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Well....let me get off the current topic and back to the topic at hand.

I was contacted by Bee County Co-Op this week which is a feed very close to the same TDN% as DD. They got me some of their feed in hand and Iím going to do my best to do a side-by-side comparison taste test of the two in front of a game camera. I tried this once before with another feed, but had some technical difficulties, but with a couple new cameras will give this a shot. We are headed to fill feeders out west first week of May and will try it then. We shall see.

Thank you all for your responses and feedback above. It has been a plethora of knowledge and opinions to read thru.

My deer are looking great on the Bee County Coop 17%.
Their consumption is way down, but still look great, which is a good thing for me.
My prediction is that the deer will be standing at the DD feeder more. Whether they will get more out of that, I don't know???
Let us know, thanks
Old 04-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #77
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico

our deer look great on second rate Mexican made protein .....Dont tell Holden
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #78
B&C
Four Point

Quote:
Peyton, I will chime in here.
First off, I think DD is a GREAT feed. I have fed a lot of it. Second, I love what Bret is doing over on the Holden pasture. It's Awesome!!!
I think what annoys people is the fact that THEY(Holden group) put up high fence to keep the deer from jumping the fence and getting killed by certain neighbors. Then put "LOW FENCE" in every title. It don't bother me, but I can see some peoples point on that.
We have 4.5 miles out of 12 LF. Deer contest, B&C and all most everyone would consider it low fence. I do point out that we are HF'd on 3 sides to insure someone might not be mislead into believing we're completely low fenced. Brett has more LF than the haters want to believe.

The marketing techniques of DD annoy many folks and push people to look for things to discredit the product/Brett.

DD is one component in a very successful program on a very special ranch. Many ranch managers wont feed it because its only one ingredient in the recipe for success and it's often promoted as the only ingredient required.

And to answer the original question posted on this thread..... Yes, I believe your deer will be more attracted to it and eat more. Many, many threads out there supporting that claim. Can't wait to see your results.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #79
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C View Post
We have 4.5 miles out of 12 LF. Deer contest, B&C and all most everyone would consider it low fence. I do point out that we are HF'd on 3 sides to insure someone might not be mislead into believing we're completely low fenced. Brett has more LF than the haters want to believe.

The marketing techniques of DD annoy many folks and push people to look for things to discredit the product/Brett.

DD is one component in a very successful program on a very special ranch. Many ranch managers wont feed it because its only one ingredient in the recipe for success and it's often promoted as the only ingredient required.

And to answer the original question posted on this thread..... Yes, I believe your deer will be more attracted to it and eat more. Many, many threads out there supporting that claim. Can't wait to see your results.
Fair enough, but if you are going to claim "low fence" in every title, then cut ALL the fences down to 4 foot and let the chips fall where they may. Give ALL your neighbors the chance to kill the deer at 3 1/2 yrs old just like all the REAL low fenced places.
Why HIGH FENCE anyone out?
If you want to claim low fence, then BE low fence!!!

Last edited by bukkskin; 04-22-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #80
Catarina
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit, Brooks, and Zavala

Quote:
Frankly I’m surprised someone hasn’t really whipped his short *ss really good.
Actually I heard that happened at a CCA banquet

What I don't like about the DD add's, especially on their facebook page, is that they will take pictures of deer on their lease and make it sound like the picture was submitted by some random hunter who just started using DD on their lease in some other part of the state..... most people don't catch that, but I do and its kinda slimy

And a lease like the Chittum ranch SHOULD NEVER have an open spot, but holden has atleast a few every year it seems....that tells a lot about the guys who run it and the shady business that goes on out there.

Does DD work, yes, would it have the same effects on most other ranches, probably not. Just a heads up, the Chittum Ranch has produced 200" bucks since the beginning of time and will continue to even if every feeder on the place was taken down and day hunts where offered.
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #81
Mexdeer19
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freer, Texas

I currently hunt with a guy who hunted on the Holden pasture a few years ago.
Mexdeer19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #82
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdeer19 View Post
I currently hunt with a guy who hunted on the Holden pasture a few years ago.
Ok... and?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #83
Peyton
Pope & Young

Again, yall are harping on Brett and his marketing while complementing the product. I understand your personal opinions, but why sí*t on every thread about DD?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #84
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Why come to every thread about it and act like the number one fan boy? Why do you feel the need to defend DD every time someone posts about it? If anybody says anything negative you label them as a hater.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #85
texas shag
Ten Point

Quote:
Again, yall are harping on Brett and his marketing while complementing the product. I understand your personal opinions, but why s’*t on every thread about DD?
As a casual observer with no skin in the game, here is my honest feedback for you. People tend to buy products, and speak well/poorly about products, based on how they feel about the companies owner/leaders. While the product may be good, if the person in charge is a poor character, many will not buy from them.

So your expectations that people can separate the product from the owner/representation is not realistic. The list of real world examples is pages long.

Quality customer service, ethical actions by leaders of a company and moral character of the leadership a company are so, so important. And what you are seeing is Mr. Holden's reputation holding the product back.

Last edited by texas shag; 04-23-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #86
Peyton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
Why come to every thread about it and act like the number one fan boy? Why do you feel the need to defend DD every time someone posts about it? If anybody says anything negative you label them as a hater.

The original post was about the attractiveness of DD. I responded with my experience and predicted the comments that would come from yíall, and they came. Same points, same folks. Personal opinions against Brett, compliments on the product.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:30 AM   #87
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas shag View Post
As a casual observer with no skin in the game, here is my honest feedback for you. People tend to buy products, and speak well/poorly about products, based on how they feel about the companies owner/leaders. While the product may be good, if the person in charge is a poor character, many will not buy from them.

So your expectations that people can separate the product from the owner/representation is not realistic. The list of real world examples is pages long.

Quality customer service, ethical actions by leaders of a company and moral character of the leadership a company are so, so important. And what you are seeing is Mr. Holden's reputation holding the product back.
Get that checkbook ready DD is next for us

Last edited by bphillips; 04-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #88
texas shag
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Get that checkbook ready DD is next for us
Old 04-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #89
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
The original post was about the attractiveness of DD. I responded with my experience and predicted the comments that would come from yíall, and they came. Same points, same folks. Personal opinions against Brett, compliments on the product.
Your first words were ring the bell for the haters!
Why? And who is Y'all? People have opinions I guess it's hard for you to accept that.
You going to answer my question of why you feel the need to act like a fan boy and defend DD? You act like you have some stakes in Bretts game the way you defend it. You can't just post your experience with it and move on.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #90
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Catarina hit the nail on the head. The Chittum was producing 200Ē deer long before DD.

hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #91
bigtex76
Six Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Hunt

I tried double down in a gravity feeder for the past couple of months and didn't have any evidence from game cam or the amount in the feeder left of the deer coming to it. With it being in northeast Texas, not sure if deer are more accustom to the spinners since it is eaten off the ground. First time of using the gravity feeder.
bigtex76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #92
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Peyton - I admire your persistence. However if you read back through all the post you will find that I also predicted your comments.

Your post defends DD based on your experience - no problem. You seem to have a problem though when others respond with THEIR experience.

Everyone here has the right to respond with their opinions - not just you.

If the entire thread is reviewed you will find that the majority of folks say the same thing - they do not like the over promotion. And YOU said the same - you posted that you told Bret he needed to back off the over selling. So at the end of the day we are all saying the same thing - feed is good but please do not promise results that are questionable at best
Old 04-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #93
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex76 View Post
I tried double down in a gravity feeder for the past couple of months and didn't have any evidence from game cam or the amount in the feeder left of the deer coming to it. With it being in northeast Texas, not sure if deer are more accustom to the spinners since it is eaten off the ground. First time of using the gravity feeder.
Keep at it. I tried protein years ago, the deer never ate it but I had some fat coons!

Last year I went all in, bought a 2000lb timed all season feeder and topped it off with DD. It took from March until November before the deer finally ate, once they did it was game on!

Be persistent, they'll eat it eventually!
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #94
Mexdeer19
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freer, Texas
Default DD

Quote:
Ok... and?
No Comment!
Mexdeer19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #95
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
competition. Iíve fed other brands that were inconsistent ingredients,
I know Brett but I will not be a part of his marketing. Iíve repeatedly told him to tone it down and resisted his requests to use my pics in his advertising. The fact is that he brought a new product to market and there is a lot of exposure in a short time. Maybe his style works. Iím able to look beyond the internetís opinion and evaluate a product compared to its inconsistent availability, and unpredictable. I switched to DD in Ď15 because I was tired of profit dictating the ingredients of the feed I was buying. Highest TDN, higher consumption, and a consistent recipe win in my book. My opinion is that DD is a good, consistent product.

3 sides high fenced is called low fence now???
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #96
Dustinb09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Tx

Quote:
Fair enough, but if you are going to claim "low fence" in every title, then cut ALL the fences down to 4 foot and let the chips fall where they may. Give ALL your neighbors the chance to kill the deer at 3 1/2 yrs old just like all the REAL low fenced places.
Why HIGH FENCE anyone out?
If you want to claim low fence, then BE low fence!!!
I thought it didn't bother you? Kinda sound bothered there. I have a buddy that feeds it and all he talks about is how much they eat. Everyone that feeds it talks about how they tear it up. Must be doing something right.
Dustinb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #97
lab man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
When the low fence side is over 10 miles I can see their point. Not many ranches have that much fence on the entire ranch let alone just one side.
lab man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #98
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
If you've read any of my posts, (especially the protein ingredient/TDN mega-post) you know that I have a decent understanding and common-sense approach to protein supplementing the deer at my spots.

I have been totally happy with Lyssey & Eckel 20% and my deer seem to do well on it. I do have a few large bucks that only eat from the protein feeder on rare occasions. I have put cameras up around the feed pen and see that they are there, but mainly just eat corn spread from the cast feeder. 3 of these are my larger bucks, and I bet I don't have a dozen pictures of each actually eating protein.

One of a few things could be happening.

1.) They were obviously older when the protein feeders were placed and they are skiddish of them to a certain extent...which if true, is weird that that ever eat from the feeder at all.

2.) They are happy with corn or pick corn over protein and just have their way with that and forget the protein.

or

3.) The taste/choice of protein isn't enough to get them "addicted" to the pellets so there is no driving force/desire to eat the protein.

I do believe that Double Down is an excellent feed, based on the TDN%. I believe that DD's marketing strategy was brilliant, but on a level of nutrition, I feel it is on the same level of Lyssey & Eckel.
I've probably read 95% of the DD posts on the Green Screen, and the one common denominator is that folks say that consumption levels increase and more deer start eating it. I'm guessing this is from the use of peanuts in the feed which to me adds an "attractant" aspect to the feed.

I'm debating whether to mix my next feeder fill with 50-50 DD/L&E to try and get the larger skiddish bucks to begin eating the protein more consistently.

I have already mixed it with corn as well as soybeans, and although I have a LOT of deer eating it, the few big boys are still stand-off'ish.

Your thoughts....???
My old man uses L&E because they have a deal with the feed company in Tilden, they have a trailer loaded in April. A few of the guys started putting DD our thanks to the Holder Ranch thread on 2cool. There has been no crazy difference. One of the guys thinks the Holder Ranch has more to do with the cottonseed that is put out. Do you happen to know the nutrition makeup in cottonseed compared to DD or L&E? To force the eating of protein, during protein months (January-September) they do not put out new corn.
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #99
MidlandTXHunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Irion County, TX and Maverick County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Are there 3 sides high fenced? Really?
MidlandTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #100
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlandTXHunter View Post
Are there 3 sides high fenced? Really?
Haha. I was going off the above post that got everyone jacked up.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top