Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #51
EastTxHog
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East texas

yeah im thinking of going with the millennium either m100u or the m150 with the lone wolf climbing sticks! il let you know when I get it and how it feels
EastTxHog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #52
Ispdnxs
Four Point

For the small difference in price I would suggest stepping up to the 150. The extra few inches can make a big difference in comfort. This becomes exponentially more important for me on longer/all day sits. Also looks like the seat height may be adjustable. If that correct I think the 150 is the obvious choice. If you were not so far, I would let you give my gear a test. I used to travel to your area a lot for work, but that is no longer the case.
Ispdnxs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2018, 01:30 AM   #53
Ispdnxs
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispdnxs View Post
For the small difference in price I would suggest stepping up to the 150. The extra few inches can make a big difference in comfort. This becomes exponentially more important for me on longer/all day sits. Also looks like the seat height may be adjustable. If that correct I think the 150 is the obvious choice. If you were not so far, I would let you give my gear a test. I used to travel to your area a lot for work, but that is no longer the case.

I took a look at these side by side while I was at bass pro today getting replacement boots. There is a bigger difference in size than I expected based on the specs on the millennium stands. They sit back to back in the picture for comparison. The seat sits quite a bit further over the stand than I remembered as well. They look comfortable, but I wish there was a platform in between these two sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #54
EastTxHog
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East texas

Yeah I’m a bigger guy 6”0 240. So the m150 is prob better for me but I’m a run n gun public land guy always moving stands hunting the winds and scrapes/rubs that are in my favor. So mobility is important to me as well. But I none of that means jack if your uncomfortable and cut the hunt early bc of it so the added weight and Bulkiness is prob something I will take in for comfort
EastTxHog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #55
Ispdnxs
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTxHog View Post
Yeah Iím a bigger guy 6Ē0 240. So the m150 is prob better for me but Iím a run n gun public land guy always moving stands hunting the winds and scrapes/rubs that are in my favor. So mobility is important to me as well. But I none of that means jack if your uncomfortable and cut the hunt early bc of it so the added weight and Bulkiness is prob something I will take in for comfort
Sounds like a fair decision. Looking forward to your feedback after you get some seat time in your new rig.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #56
laracraft
Nubbin' Buck

Recognize the biggest urban areas on your maps and work far from them. More individuals breaks even with more seekers, and that is no greaert. You need to be a decent hour from metropolitan zones, and almost that a long way from moderate size urban areas, as well. In a perfect world, the closest town to your chasing spot ought to have just two or three corner stores, a coffee shop, and perhaps a roadside motel.
laracraft is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #57
jakefromtx
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

As everyone has said, get a good pair of waterproof boots. Also a study and comfortable frame backpack because a lot of times you’ll have to quarter the animal in the field and walk it back to your vehicle. I always have my solar powered phone charger and baby wipes, those are a must. Just this past season I got a ghost blind and I love it. I’ve tried pop up blinds but with only a few days to scout, learn, and hunt the area, the animals notice it and won’t get anywhere near it. I was skeptical at first but once I saw a ghost blind in person I knew I had to get one. You can pretty much setup anywhere you want and it’s light weight so it’s not that tough to carry around with you. Other than those things I would just say get out there and take mental notes of what could make that hunt easier next year. Good luck!
jakefromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #58
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Water purification. I have run out on SHNF enough times that I bought a purifier. Might not taste the best, but better than dehydration!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 02:51 AM   #59
laracraft
Nubbin' Buck

Default Public Hunting Gear

It is an easy way to hunt and I am hunting a long day
laracraft is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #60
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

A good pack that allows you to pack out an animal (screw a game cart!!!)
Good hiking boots
Waterproof Gaiters
High quality synthetic outer clothing layers over merino or bamboo inner layers (camo doesn't matter, quality is waaayyyy more important)
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #61
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Water purification. I have run out on SHNF enough times that I bought a purifier. Might not taste the best, but better than dehydration!
This 1000000000X

I usually start out with 2 full nalgenes and have often still had to break out the steripen...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #62
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Most of the stuff I might suggest has all ready been listed so I will just add a couple of thoughts.

1) Make sure to pack your patience and plenty of it every time you go out. No matter how far you go, at least here in Texas, you will have "shake your head" moment with some other hunter. Don't allow that to ruin your hunt/experiance just move along.

2) Scouting goes a long ways to achieving repeatable success.
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #63
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

A digital compass with savable waypoints. The one I use is called a backtrack. Itís about $30. You save your parking spot with a push of a button. And then take off using your phone and google maps. The backtrack is for when your out and about and your phone dies or you lose service. Trust me it happens. I have the stories to prove it.

FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #64
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
A digital compass with savable waypoints. The one I use is called a backtrack. Itís about $30. You save your parking spot with a push of a button. And then take off using your phone and google maps. The backtrack is for when your out and about and your phone dies or you lose service. Trust me it happens. I have the stories to prove it.

Could you post a link? I canít seem to find it for $30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top