Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Default Davy Crockett Hunting Thread 2018-19

Is it too early to start this? I know Iíve already done a good bit of scouting for the next season! Hoping to check out a few more places before season comes for a couple back up spots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

One of these days ppl will learn the hard way. The less they say on the internet about public hunting the better off they are.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolocamShooter View Post
One of these days ppl will learn the hard way. The less they say on the internet about public hunting the better off they are.

We all own it, so we should all use it. Not wanting to know anyoneís spots, just a general thread like the 1,000 other public hunting threads that are made every year.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Thereís a reason the traffic on last years thread dropped off to almost nothing. Might should take note of it.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Quote:
Thereís a reason the traffic on last years thread dropped off to almost nothing. Might should take note of it.

Well I spent a good bit of time in the DC last season and didnít come across another hunter the entire time. So I guess Iíll keep on keepin on.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
We all own it, so we should all use it. Not wanting to know anyoneís spots, just a general thread like the 1,000 other public hunting threads that are made every year.

Hey don't sweat it. Solo is right, but half the stuff on last year's thread was his.

Frankly I do wish people would keep quiet, but like everyone I also love seeing big bucks. Public land bucks just have a special mystique about them.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Hey don't sweat it. Solo is right, but half the stuff on last year's thread was his.

Frankly I do wish people would keep quiet, but like everyone I also love seeing big bucks. Public land bucks just have a special mystique about them.

Haha I thought I saw his name before! Jk. I just figured Iíd start the next thread. Iím already super excited thinking about next season. Gonna be my first season taking a bow to the DC, so Iíll let yíall know how many bucks I miss lol.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Quote:

You got me confused with someone else

Iíve always been of the opinion ppl need to keep quiet about it.

Highway hunter itís just the more it gets talked about the more ppl show up but good luck this season maybe weíll see ya out there
Old 04-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Quote:
You got me confused with someone else

Iíve always been of the opinion ppl need to keep quiet about it.

Highway hunter itís just the more it gets talked about the more ppl show up but good luck this season maybe weíll see ya out there

If yíall ever stay on the lake youíll probably see me. Iím done with the horse camp, staying at the lake is like the Ritz Carlton of the DC! Lol

Old 04-19-2018, 01:27 AM   #10
jbord39
Spike

well I won't take your bucks but am wondering if anyone knows of any good patches of squirrel
jbord39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
DeerBySchultz
Four Point

Can Davy Crockett forest be hunted with aph or only Alabama Creek?
DeerBySchultz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

I don't think DC is a big secret nowadays...
Deers & Beers is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #13
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerBySchultz View Post
Can Davy Crockett forest be hunted with aph or only Alabama Creek?

Only need the APH for Alabama creek is my understanding.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deers & Beers View Post
I don't think DC is a big secret nowadays...

After several deer shot in the DC made it on the news itís not exactly a secret.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #15
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
After several deer shot in the DC made it on the news itís not exactly a secret.

The news and TTHA magazine. The cats definitely out of the bag.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
HighwayHunter
Four Point

Quote:

Kinda how I heard about it myself lol

Old 05-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
DeerBySchultz
Four Point

Quote:
Sharing makes you a better human for the time being,don't be greedy buddy. Whoever wants it bad enough will find it.period
Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #18
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

How about this year we start a east texas public land thread? That can include all the public land around the area. I know everyone likes sharing their finds and I always just saw east texas public land. That narrows it down enough for me.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:49 PM   #19
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
How about this year we start a east texas public land thread? That can include all the public land around the area. I know everyone likes sharing their finds and I always just saw east texas public land. That narrows it down enough for me.

I like this idea. This way itís not so specific. I learned my lesson about posting too many details on these threads.

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #20
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Denton County, 9900 Four Horse Trail

Quote:
The DCNF guys don't talk much... for a reason, you will see very few reply's but lots and lots on the view counter
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
I like this idea. This way itís not so specific. I learned my lesson about posting too many details on these threads.

Very true canít share to much info.
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #22
the marshall
Six Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

There are no big deer in East Texas..
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #23
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Blame it on Ambush.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:01 PM   #24
JasonS
Four Point

I view this thread for entertainment, people fishing for info, lol.

This gets complicated. If pics are posted, it does draw attention to certain areas. Yes its public, so its avail to everyone. I don't want everyone using it, hard enough to get deer, without extra pressure, people. I would never try to run anyone off, and usually speak to other hunters in the areas. BUt I never try to welcome hunters in to any public areas that I am hunting.

Its very hard to get good deer on public lands, so people that do so, are tight lipped about it. Some areas are better for bigger deer than other public areas. Regardless of whether the New people who scour the internet looking for tips get a deer, its still extra pressure in a area. There was increased activity in DCNF, and it has been increasing the past few years. I walk up on/through more people than I used to. I believe the internet is partly responsible. Leases go up, people look for new areas, and hence research public land.

Giving tips to people doesn't make you a better person, and not doing so doesn't make you a bad person/greedy. People who hunt theses areas spend lots of time and effort doing what they do. They don't want people to profit from their hard work. They don't want people pressuring their areas. Public deer are fickle. People should do their own "footwork" to check on an area, and not rely on public internet postings to narrow their search. Public land hunting is very hard, and not usually rewarding.

In addition, not all people are good, they ;leave trash, steal things, so more people means increase in ratio of bad people as well. People Might ask to see if anyone wants to go scouting, teach them to scout, then develop those friendships. I have tried to help new hunters get into public land hunting, but a friendship was developed first.

I like seeing big deer, but whether lease of public, doesn't really matter. Lease deer wander into public land, so they are the SAME. There was an East TExas thread in the public forum with lots of pics, I liked it, and it never said where the deer were killed. These public land threads have had a negative impact on the hunting in some areas, not just DCNF. I hunt multiple public lands, and my response in not just to DCNF, but all public land forums that draw attention to those areas.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #25
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Quote:
I like this as long as them darn sam hunters stay out. Just kidding, those guys are smart. Just as good deer there, just don't get posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 10:12 PM   #26
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post

This gets complicated. If pics are posted, it does draw attention to certain areas. Yes its public, so its avail to everyone. I don't want everyone using it, hard enough to get deer, without extra pressure, people. I would never try to run anyone off, and usually speak to other hunters in the areas. BUt I never try to welcome hunters in to any public areas that I am hunting.

Its very hard to get good deer on public lands, so people that do so, are tight lipped about it. Some areas are better for bigger deer than other public areas. Regardless of whether the New people who scour the internet looking for tips get a deer, its still extra pressure in a area. There was increased activity in DCNF, and it has been increasing the past few years. I walk up on/through more people than I used to. I believe the internet is partly responsible. Leases go up, people look for new areas, and hence research public land.

Giving tips to people doesn't make you a better person, and not doing so doesn't make you a bad person/greedy. People who hunt theses areas spend lots of time and effort doing what they do. They don't want people to profit from their hard work. They don't want people pressuring their areas. Public deer are fickle. People should do their own "footwork" to check on an area, and not rely on public internet postings to narrow their search. Public land hunting is very hard, and not usually rewarding.

In addition, not all people are good, they ;leave trash, steal things, so more people means increase in ratio of bad people as well. People Might ask to see if anyone wants to go scouting, teach them to scout, then develop those friendships. I have tried to help new hunters get into public land hunting, but a friendship was developed first.

I like seeing big deer, but whether lease of public, doesn't really matter. Lease deer wander into public land, so they are the SAME. There was an East TExas thread in the public forum with lots of pics, I liked it, and it never said where the deer were killed. These public land threads have had a negative impact on the hunting in some areas, not just DCNF. I hunt multiple public lands, and my response in not just to DCNF, but all public land forums that draw attention to those areas.
You got that right, Whitney/Aquilla is a shadow of what it was 15 years ago, notice how many fewer post there were in this years thread compared to the previous year and the previous year, its been going down because the pressure has finally been getting to that place, we found greener pastures about 2 years ago
Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #27
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Blame it on Ambush.
Iím not blaming him by any means. That guy busts his hump for those government deer. The internet in general is the culprit.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #28
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Iím not blaming him by any means. That guy busts his hump for those government deer. The internet in general is the culprit.
I guess I should have added a
Old 06-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #29
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
I guess I should have added a
I knew you were "." I just didn't want anyone else thinking my comment was directed at him.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #30
robert97dodge
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/trinity/Nacogdoches county NF

Quote:

Sure he does. We all know its really him we see 100 yards from the road in a tree while we are driving in.

I don't know about y'all but i am ready to get back in the woods. I have a feeling its gonna be a miserable bow season this year.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #31
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sure he does. We all know its really him we see 100 yards from the road in a tree while we are driving in.

I don't know about y'all but i am ready to get back in the woods. I have a feeling its gonna be a miserable bow season this year.

Hey whatever works.

Bow season is always miserable.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #32
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:

No point chasing dead deer...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #33
DeerBySchultz
Four Point

Talking

Quote:

I don't completely agree with you. Just don't give a GPS coordinate, other then that a general question can be answered like what side of Forest has hogs. General area will still require for boots to hit the ground it's not like animals don't move around on an hourly basis lol