Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 06-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #51
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
Shame being that the players will sue the NFL into oblivion over TBI making their millions even greater meanwhile our troops are still gonna get the same but for peanuts. Theyll tell the troops they knew what they signed up for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Private dollars pay for all athletes as it should, it is entertainment!
.........our congress has decided our military should be treated horribly. I can't believe my parents survived with 3 kids while serving all over the globe for 20+ years......amazing!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #52
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Private dollars pay for all athletes as it should, it is entertainment!

The NFL should pay for the stadiums too...NOT THE TAXPAYERS!!
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #53
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
The NFL should pay for the stadiums too...NOT THE TAXPAYERS!!
Absolutely. .......talk to your local politicians!!! Total BS!!!

Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #54
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I'm just hoping something will happen to keep this whole politicized national anthem that is tied to the LE / social injustice crap out of the game next season...it's becoming nauseating & the angle the eagles organization played this last week was really pathetic.

They had every opportunity to help bring the issue of concern with an open hand behind closed doors & yet chose a sucker punch approach?? I really don't get it & the mayor of said eagles / city of brotherly love comments were delusional & idiotic...I do think the head coach did a good job today trying to dilute & get back to the game in some sort of desperate damage control today.

Now we have both nba finalists already posturing for their turn & it's all so unnecessary / disappointing. WTH has happened to basic communication?? None of these millionaires are approaching / helping the cause they claim to support with any sort of class.

I normally don't deal with bogus polls, but everything I have seen is 70% of the people asked do not want politics in their sports & want the players to be patriotic & just play.

It's sort of rewarding to see 'half-r-dik' who started this whole mess sleeping in the nest he made.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #55
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

Quote:
Depends on his age. At one point most athletes, movie stars and all sorts of popular entertainers were good role models for kids. I think probably through the early 80s. Im not saying there weren't outliners but probably back in the 60s and 70s JJ Watt was the norm. Since the 90s....... JJ is the outliner.
True, but a lot of those guys probably had issues and vices that we just never knew about.

Editops, looks like someone brought that up also, didn't see that until after I posted.
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #56
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

$75 to sit in the nosebleed section, $8 for a beer, $3 for a hotdog, $15 for parking that's a mile away- you kidding me? Just so those so called "athletes" can whine cause they only make $3-$5 million a year to ride the bench? Gimme a break. The NFL sucks. Who came up with this salary schedule?
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 04:13 AM   #57
willieaames
Nubbin' Buck

At a reasonable per team package rate, they could rival Netflix in users overnight with NFL.
willieaames is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #58
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
I agree. A caveat would be that they kept their sinning in private. Now a days not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
That's not their fault ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
The sinning or the reporting?
Back in the day Sandy Koufax could pick up a couple hootoos for five dollars and take them to a seedy motel for a quick refresher before he made it home to his wife and kids.

Nobody would be none the wiser.

But today, the clerk that checked them in to the motel would have called TMZ on speed dial asking for their $50k tip for the Intel so when Sandy surfaced from the room he'd have paparazzi clicking cameras and his face all over the media by the next morning and he'd be "in counseling" by the end of the week.

We're simply in a different information era today.
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #59
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan View Post
Back in the day Sandy Koufax could pick up a couple hootoos for five dollars and take them to a seedy motel for a quick refresher before he made it home to his wife and kids.

Nobody would be none the wiser.

But today, the clerk that checked them in to the motel would have called TMZ on speed dial asking for their $50k tip for the Intel so when Sandy surfaced from the room he'd have paparazzi clicking cameras and his face all over the media by the next morning and he'd be "in counseling" by the end of the week.

We're simply in a different information era today.
I believe that is part of it but does not account for all of it. I don't believe back in the day there was an above the law mentality. Hell in the beginning these guys didn't make much money at all relative to what they do now and adjusted for inflation. A lot of the guys now have that mentality and flaunt their bad behavior. Its not that there wasn't bad behavior before; it was just better managed through self control. Bad things were done in private; not public.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #60
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

This is from Malcom Butler meeting with the press.

I feel like he is blaming the system, not the people breaking the laws. And I am not exactly sure what he thinks the NFL or the NFL owners can do about this. Why not use his platform to reach out to troubled kids, their parents, schools, etc?

With that said, making these excuses for these troubled kids, is what I think gave us the Cruz kid in Florida. It is well documented that the kid was a troubled law breaker, and making excuses for him directly contributed to children's deaths in my opinion. Everybody wants to be a victim these days so they have excuses for why they act out.
Attached Images

batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #61
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
This is from Malcom Butler meeting with the press.

I feel like he is blaming the system, not the people breaking the laws. And I am not exactly sure what he thinks the NFL or the NFL owners can do about this. Why not use his platform to reach out to troubled kids, their parents, schools, etc?

With that said, making these excuses for these troubled kids, is what I think gave us the Cruz kid in Florida. It is well documented that the kid was a troubled law breaker, and making excuses for him directly contributed to children's deaths in my opinion. Everybody wants to be a victim these days so they have excuses for why they act out.
The Parkland shooting was absolutely a product of the ending the pipeline to prison initiative or the perversion of it which has taken over. It sounds like a great initiative on paper; execution has been a complete failure. Post modern bull****.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #62
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I'm just hoping something will happen to keep this whole politicized national anthem that is tied to the LE / social injustice crap out of the game next season...it's becoming nauseating & the angle the eagles organization played this last week was really pathetic.

They had every opportunity to help bring the issue of concern with an open hand behind closed doors & yet chose a sucker punch approach?? I really don't get it & the mayor of said eagles / city of brotherly love comments were delusional & idiotic...I do think the head coach did a good job today trying to dilute & get back to the game in some sort of desperate damage control today.

Now we have both nba finalists already posturing for their turn & it's all so unnecessary / disappointing. WTH has happened to basic communication?? None of these millionaires are approaching / helping the cause they claim to support with any sort of class.

I normally don't deal with bogus polls, but everything I have seen is 70% of the people asked do not want politics in their sports & want the players to be patriotic & just play.

It's sort of rewarding to see 'half-r-dik' who started this whole mess sleeping in the nest he made.

Not that I'll even be watching but... I predict the networks will opt for showing locker room and tunnel coverage of the players who choose to "protest" by not taking to field before the singing of the anthem.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #63
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
Not that I'll even be watching but... I predict the networks will opt for showing locker room and tunnel coverage of the players who choose to "protest" by not taking to field before the singing of the anthem.
If it gets them more viewers or even if they think it will get more views they most certainly will.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #64
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

I was a teenager and saw people spitting on soldiers returning home from pure hell in Vietnam. I told myself I would NEVER support anything that disrespected these brave men and women. It's truly sad that I won't be making the memories with my kids I have with my Dad yelling and screaming at the TV watching football but I also have to walk upright
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #65
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsknives View Post
I was a teenager and saw people spitting on soldiers returning home from pure hell in Vietnam. I told myself I would NEVER support anything that disrespected these brave men and women. It's truly sad that I won't be making the memories with my kids I have with my Dad yelling and screaming at the TV watching football but I also have to walk upright
Good way of putting it.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #66
jer_james
Ten Point

It's still not disrespect - how you choose to view it is completely up to you though.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/08/t...ers-tell-me-wh

Solid gesture that I hope comes to fruition ...
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #67
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

No disrespect but your a strange bird! You know taking a knee or hiding in the locker room is as LAZY a protest as I've EVER seen! You know I'm willing to protest as long as I can do it at work (where I get paid to do it) and as long as I really don't have to do a dam thang!!!
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 AM   #68
Smell the Glove
Ten Point

https://deadspin.com/all-the-controv...nue-1827646752
Smell the Glove is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #69
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smell the Glove View Post
Congrats to the NFL
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #70
batmaninja
Ten Point

I wonder why the headline is about revenue increasing and not something more bottom line driven like, say profits. Game attendance maybe? Season ticket holders?

Seems like the NFL got a bump in a TV contract that was signed a few years ago. Thumbs up fellas.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #71
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

The revenue increase was already baked into the cake and had NOTHING to do with the NFL's actual ratings performance. The NFL TV contracts were signed years ago. The League's TV partners missed revenue by over $600M this year because ratings were down almost 20% the past two years.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #72
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
The revenue increase was already baked into the cake and had NOTHING to do with the NFL's actual ratings performance. The NFL TV contracts were signed years ago. The League's TV partners missed revenue by over $600M this year because ratings were down almost 20% the past two years.
So was the rest of television ...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #73
Thumper
Pope & Young

NFL ratings are going down the tube.

MLB seems to be getting it right.
Attached Images

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #74
jer_james
Ten Point

Fake News at its finest. NFL is thriving :

It's not all dreary news for the league, however, as the NFL remains far and away the biggest attraction on television. Sunday Night Football and Thursday Night Football were the two highest-rated primetime programs of the year. The NFL accounted for 37 of the 50 most-watched television programs of the season, and Monday Night Football was the most watched cable program of the year, even outperforming HBO's smash hit Game of Thrones.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #75
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Good for the NFL. Has anyone seen the list of the Social Justice Organizations that will receive the 100 million dollars donated by the NFL yet?
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #76
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
Ha, why didnt you post the link to the article? Why only quote one paragraph? You cherry picked literally the one paragraph (the last paragraph of the entire article) that supports your point of view, kinda. The title of the article that you quoted is "NFL TV Ratings Down Roughly 10% From Last Season". And then want to whine about fake news.

The first 2 paragraphs to the Sports Illustrated article you quoted are -

Overall NFL ratings for this season dropped by 9.7% compared to last season, according to data released by Nielsen on Thursday. This represents and even bigger slide than the 8% dip in ratings from 2015 to 2016.

Virtually every noteworthy NFL game program saw its viewership decline. NBC's Sunday Night Football dropped from 20.323 million to 18.175 million, ESPN's Monday Night Football from 11.390 million to 10.757 million and Thursday Night Football (which aired on NFL Network as well as CBS or FOX) from 12.438 million to 10.937 million.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/0...night-football

In my best Keyshaun voice, C'mon main

Last edited by batmaninja; 07-20-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #77
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Ha, why didnt you post the link to the article? Why only quote one paragraph? You cherry picked literally the one paragraph (the last paragraph of the entire article) that supports your point of view, kinda. The title of the article that you quoted is "NFL TV Ratings Down Roughly 10% From Last Season". And then want to whine about fake news.

The first 2 paragraphs to the Sports Illustrated article you quoted are -

Overall NFL ratings for this season dropped by 9.7% compared to last season, according to data released by Nielsen on Thursday. This represents and even bigger slide than the 8% dip in ratings from 2015 to 2016.

Virtually every noteworthy NFL game program saw its viewership decline. NBC's Sunday Night Football dropped from 20.323 million to 18.175 million, ESPN's Monday Night Football from 11.390 million to 10.757 million and Thursday Night Football (which aired on NFL Network as well as CBS or FOX) from 12.438 million to 10.937 million.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/0...night-football

In my best Keyshaun voice, C'mon main
It's called click bait - that was the entire point of the post. See a headline and react. That is Fake News at its finest.

In context and comparing the rest of Television.

THE NFL IS WINNING
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #78
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
THE NFL IS WINNING
Thriving like Krapernicks career!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #79
jer_james
Ten Point

Now compare it to the rest of television - It's called context ... I believe in you.

37 of the top 50 programs last year ...
Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #80
batmaninja
Ten Point

Quote:
NFL is thriving :
You want to talk about fake news, but quote one paragraph out of an Article that is literally titled - NFL TV Ratings Down Roughly 10% From Last Season. That isnt exactly the definition of thriving.

If you are on a ship, and it is sinking. But sinking more slowly than the sinking ships around you. Would you consider the slower sinking ship to be, uhhhhh, thriving?

Quote:
I pride myself on not being a hypocrite,.
Gosh dog it, reading back through this thread, is comedy gold. Most of your posts are really, keep it up please. You have brightened by Friday all ready.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #81
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
You want to talk about fake news, but quote one paragraph out of an Article that is literally titled - NFL TV Ratings Down Roughly 10% From Last Season. That isnt exactly the definition of thriving.

If you are on a ship, and it is sinking. But sinking more slowly than the sinking ships around you. Would you consider the slower sinking ship to be, uhhhhh, thriving?

Gosh dog it, reading back through this thread, is comedy gold. Most of your posts are really, keep it up please. You have brightened by Friday all ready.
The entire point is that there is literally one paragraph in an entire article that exposes the actual truth. The headline draws you in, and then the very last paragraph is the only one that relays any sort of balance. I highlighted that paragraph as a point that you keep pointing out.

Ratings are down NEARLY 10%. That is ONE fact.

37 of the top 50 watched television shows is also a fact.

Please show the drop in ALL of television ratings.

Show the whole story / not the narrative.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #82
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Regardless if the NFL is “tanking” or not, they have a big mess on their hands. They just suspended the new anthem policy (which I thought was a chicken s way to address the problem in the first place) and now they are going to try and figure out what to do about it. They can risk further viewership decline by allowing protests, or they can enforce a Stand for the Anthem type policy and make the players mad. It’s unfortunate that Bob McNair got blasted for saying “the inmates are running the asylum” because that’s basically what is happening (I really think McNair meant it as an analogy and had zero intention of that statement/expression, having anything to do with race).

I still won’t be watching. It will be interesting to see what happens
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #83
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Now compare it to the rest of television - It's called context ... I believe in you.

37 of the top 50 programs last year ...
That's rather ironic coming from you considering you deemed comparisons and context invalid when talking about Trump.

But I agree with you. I don't think the NFL is tanking. It is becoming increasingly boring though.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #84
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
That's rather ironic coming from you considering you deemed comparisons and context invalid when talking about Trump.

But I agree with you. I don't think the NFL is tanking. It is becoming increasingly boring though.
It isn't about the comparison - it is the lack of acknowledgement of one over the other.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #85
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
It isn't about the comparison - it is the lack of acknowledgement of one over the other.
Exactly!!!
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top