How to Adjust/Change Draw length on Mathews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Adjust/Change Draw length on Mathews

A friend is wanting to buy a Mathews bow and I am helping him look for one.

He has a 31.5" draw length.

Question is if I were to locate a Mathews bow for him and it needed more draw length for him, what would/could be done to do this?

Different cams?

Longer string/cables?

Will one model Mathews vary from another?

Swap out cams. U can try looking on ebay

Comment

good luck finding him a setup that supports 31.5" though, but to answer your question, all newer mathews bows need to have the cams changed to change draw length.

Comment

Mathews are almost all one draw length cam specific, and yes the stated draw length can vary a bit on different models. You can fudge a little with string loop length, a 31.5 goes to 31 with a loop and you can get a little more with a long loop(30.5?). You sure he is a 31.5? Thats quite a draw length.

Comment

Originally posted by demtx View Post
          Mathews are almost all one draw length cam specific, and yes the stated draw length can vary a bit on different models. You can fudge a little with string loop length, a 31.5 goes to 31 with a loop and you can get a little more with a long loop(30.5?). You sure he is a 31.5? Thats quite a draw length.
          He is a tall thin man, so 31 doesn't seem unrealistic knowing him.

This guy is kinda ignorant to bow tuning issues, as well as myself, and he may not be exactly 31.5" so I am trying to help get him in the right direction. That is what the green screen is for!

Comment

I'm not trying to doubt you Ty, but I understand that he is tall and all, but I'm 6'2'' and I still shoot a 28 1/4'' draw. Lol if skinny has anything to do about it, I'm only 165 lbs. b but the best thing to do is take him to a mathews shop and they will tell you what his draw is, take him to Smithfield in Fort Worth or the place in Lewisville. They will get it super close, if not take his wingspan and divide that by 2.5 and that will get you to something close, but not as accurate as they do at the shops.

Comment

I also have a 31" draw length. My Mathews Z7 Extreme came with a 30" cam, so to compensate for the 1" to make my draw perfect, I get my bowtech to tie me a longer D-Loop and I have a release that adjust out to give me extra length. Im pretty sure Mathews cams only go to 30" so i hope this helps, it sure helped me!

Comment

The MR8 goes up to a 32.5 dl, MR7 up to a 32" dl and the MR6 and the Monster Safari go up to a 31"dl.

It is better to get a bow that fits. As mentioned above, measure wingspan (fingertip to fingertip) to the closest .25" and then divide by 2.5. Round down to the nearest .5", usually pretty darn close.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                  He is a tall thin man, so 31 doesn't seem unrealistic knowing him.

This guy is kinda ignorant to bow tuning issues, as well as myself, and he may not be exactly 31.5" so I am trying to help get him in the right direction. That is what the green screen is for!
                  Hey if he's 31.5 he's 31.5, not unrealistic, just long. Most people would be about 6' 5" to have that draw with average height to arm length. As stated,you can measure fingertip to fingertip across the back, divide by 2.5, and be real close. You don't want a bow with too long a draw for sure. Hope this helps, good luck.
                  Last edited by demtx; 10-16-2012, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtremeHunter80 View Post
                    I'm not trying to doubt you Ty, but I understand that he is tall and all, but I'm 6'2'' and I still shoot a 28 1/4'' draw. Lol if skinny has anything to do about it, I'm only 165 lbs. b but the best thing to do is take him to a mathews shop and they will tell you what his draw is, take him to Smithfield in Fort Worth or the place in Lewisville. They will get it super close, if not take his wingspan and divide that by 2.5 and that will get you to something close, but not as accurate as they do at the shops.

Im 5' 10.5 and my draw length is 29.5

Comment

Todd as far I know the Mathews Craze is the only Mathews bow that will adjust from 17 to 30 inch draw without changing the cams. It was designed with growing kids and woman in mind. Any Mathews regular bow can be adjusted to fit his needs as long as it is capable of 30 in draw

Comment

To answer the question. Cams and loop

Comment

He will have to change cams if you cant find one with the set up already. a new cam will run about a hundred bucks. a longer loop will also give him length in his draw. and as stated before measure the wing span finger tip to finger tip and divide by 2.5 and this will get you win in a half inch of actual or what is comfortable for him.

Comment

You can get a Z9 also it goes out to 32'' DL, but its draw specific with cam changes.

Comment

This is the only downfall to mathews but once u get it set up your good to go

Comment

Working...
                              X