Buck Identification-year to year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Identification-year to year

Question for all the management guys/gals. What do you use to Id your animals from year to year. Horns work sometimes but there is often a lot of change from 2.5 to 3.5. so I struggle with this at times. We had a deer with white spots on his hind quarters thus we names him appaloosa. Fork horn year one, small 6 year 2 and then a nice 9 point on year three. Year four and five had him with similar racks but just more lenght and mass. Without the spots I would have never know he was the little 6 the year prior.

What other features do you key on when studying trail camera pictures.

usually have to see em on the hoof. gives an indication of behavior and a better chance at accurately identifying. but I look at small differences as I am sure you do. I have a lot of trouble with does. Very difficult to get an estimate on the doe pop.

Comment

I look for any distinctive features, like spots, a notched ear, scars or anything else that makes them easier to id each year.

Comment

Almost all deer will have at least one or two distinct markings on them that separate them from the rest. I always start with the face, looking at the ears, forehead, and eyes. Then look at the throat patch, then coloring/markings on legs/knees, hooves. Pay close attention to the tail too, they are usually distinct.
        After some practice you can really start to pick up on small things that really make them stick out. You will even get to where you can distinguish between does as well.

Comment

General frame shape and brow tines.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-Drop View Post
            Almost all deer will have at least one or two distinct markings on them that separate them from the rest. I always start with the face, looking at the ears, forehead, and eyes. Then look at the throat patch, then coloring/markings on legs/knees, hooves. Pay close attention to the tail too, they are usually distinct.
            After some practice you can really start to pick up on small things that really make them stick out. You will even get to where you can distinguish between does as well.
            x2

Comment

thanks for the info, I will start studying a little different to see if I can start keying on those differences. I have used notched or torn ears but really not coloring difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-Drop View Post
                this

Comment

Working...
                X