No announcement yet.

What has worked for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won’t be able to make Bryan’ it’s a little far. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Fredericksburg. There’s a lot of us trying to improve. Rick stepped up with this weds first shot challenge. Keep it coming guys.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
      I won’t be able to make Bryan’ it’s a little far. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Fredericksburg. There’s a lot of us trying to improve. Rick stepped up with this weds first shot challenge. Keep it coming guys.
      Oh yeah, Fredericksburg is a good one. We'll be there.

A new First Shot Challenge has been posted by DRT.

Going to shoot it this afternoon.

Todd

Comment

This morning I setup my practice based on advice gleaned from this thread and I feel like it was one of my better practice seasons. The target was a 300 indoor which has a 3” center (5), and a 6” (4). My goal was a three shot string with nothing outside the 6” 4 ring at progressive distances. I started at 15 yds and moved back after each successful string. I talked myself through each shot with a mantra of “anchor, aim, pull through “ ( back tension). My failure yardage was 35 yards where my best effort was two in and one out.
        For me this was a good practice and a confidence builder. By the time I got back to 35 I have to admit that back tension was going out the window as shooting my hunting weight bow was beginning to fatigue me (51#). Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

One thing that kinda helps me sometimes and helps me relax is to shoot at something fun. I like to blow up balloons and shoot at them because I just like watching the balloon pop. I love to hunt rabbits, and I am not going to lie, when you let go of that arrow and you see it hit that rabbit and it flops over, it is the best feeling in the world. Instant feedback.

For Christmas my wife bought me that little 3D set that has the 3 little critters in it. I set the ground hog up behind a piece of rubber that usually holds up my block target. It looks like a ground hog sitting up out of a hole. When I hit that tiny white patch on it's throat and it flops over... it is the most gratifying feeling in the world. I can't get enough of it and it provides that feedback that helps make practice fun.

Comment

I have learned many things on this site that have helped me a lot. Of course not all tips "click" with me, but others have been game changers. I will mention two:

1) I made great strides when I separated "form practice" from "aiming practice." I do almost all my form practice at close range in front of a blank bale. Going through my pre-shot routine and ingraining what proper form "feels like" is easier for me when I'm not aiming. I concentrate only on elements of form - back tension, deep hook, anchor, etc. Maybe it's my own brain problem but I cannot consciously think about form and hyper-focus on a spot at the same time.

2) One arrow practice. This has been invaluable, especially during hunting season and the days leading up to a 3d shoot. If I shoot a whole bunch of arrows before I go pull, chances are my mind will wander on several of them. (another "my brain" problem?) I take one arrow into the back yard and really take my time on each shot. I will shoot from a different spot in the yard each time, always varying distances/angles - between trees, up/down hill etc. Taking a few minutes between shots really helps me focus.

Comment

Other than being very lucky to learn from some of the best, I feel using the same well tuned equipment makes things easier.

Sure that sounds easy enough. Traditional archery is really no different than any other sport, the more you know about it the easier it is to learn well. Keeping your equipment consistent is as important as keeping your form consistent in my opinion.

I have been called a "tuning nerd" understanding tuning and the effects that form has on the shot is important to learn at some point.

I suggest being able to shoot well at 10 yards before trying to shoot 20 yards. Like mentioned above when you practice at 50 yards it can turn a 20 yard shot into a chip shot. The long range shooting takes time and practice but anyone can do it with proper form and practice.

Also, make as many 3D shoots as possible. Making the 3D shoots serve several purposes, fun first and foremost but meeting some of the great shooters we have on this site. Shooting with good shots will bring anyone's shooting up a notch. If it had not been for meeting people at 3D shoots I probably still could not hit my butt with both hands.

Comment

There are so many things I could say about this subject I don't know where to start. I suppose the best advice I could give would come after watching a video of you shooting.

Comment

I do "walk back and walk up" together, 1 arrow practice.
                  I'll start at 5 yards and shoot at a 4" circle, when I hit it I go to 10 yards then 15 then 20 and 25. Then back to 20 and 15 and 10 and 5. All of this is done with 1 arrow so I have plenty of time to walk and relax between shots.
                  I figure most of my shots will be between 10 and 20 yards on the course so those shots get practiced more.
                  It comes out like this, 21 shots (only 1 arrow, shoot and pull)
                  5,10,15,20,25,20,15,10,5,10,15,20,25,20,15,10,5,10 ,15,20,25
                  5=3 shots
                  10=5 shots
                  15=5 shots
                  20= 5 shots
                  25 = 3 shots

Comment

Right now the one biggest thing that is working is having folks on this site reminding me to just relax and enjoy it. I'm stupidly competitive with myself so I get easily frustrated when I'm not making the gains that I feel I should. That of course makes me shoot even worse. If I had to pick one specific "game" that helps the most its the paper plate one. Shoot at a dime sized dot in the middle of a 6" paper plate, if you hit the plate step back 3 yards, if you miss step forwards three yards.

Richard.

Comment

Here is a game I play when practicing: I have a catchers mitt sized circle I shoot at. I count balls and strikes and try to get three outs without walking anybody. Simple but fun. I shoot from 25 yards.
                      Last edited by moe monsarrat; 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I will say keep it simple close shots till form becomes automatic slowly over time stretch it out. I stop shooting once my shots start to scatter. I don't over think it if you are having a bad day don't shoot results will be bad. When I have bad day at work I take 3 shots and if they're not where I want them I hang it up and shoot next day. If I get tired I stop take break so I can be on point again when I start shooting again.

Comment

I drink a beer or a Crown and DP and shoot.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by DRT; 02-09-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I like to shoot clay pigeons hung on a nail on my target butt.

Comment

Working...
                            X