How to determine price per sq ft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to determine price per sq ft?

How does one determine the price per sq ft when looking at how much money they will need for the house they’re wanting? Cause if you ask anyone ive gotten anywhere from “built our custome home for $75 sq ft” to “its $150 sq ft” kind of hard to determine with a price gap that big. So how does one determine a price to build a home? We’re looking at mid grade i don’t need/want marble floors or red aspen trim or hand forged iron fixtures. Lol

I think residential comps in the area could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It will be closer to 150$/sqft if you don’t try to GC it yourself.

Comment

We are currently building, well we have completed the loan process and have full contract to build. Our cost to build is $118/square foot. Heated. Not including garage and porches. Ours is also what i would call mid grade. Granite in kitchen and both bathrooms. Carpet in bedrooms, tile in bathrooms and luxury vinyl floors in the rest. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Also when we they did the appraisal based on our specs, the appraiser figured it by doing 100/living 35/squ foot of garage and 25/squ foot of porches.

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
            We are currently building, well we have completed the loan process and have full contract to build. Our cost to build is $118/square foot. Heated. Not including garage and porches. Ours is also what i would call mid grade. Granite in kitchen and both bathrooms. Carpet in bedrooms, tile in bathrooms and luxury vinyl floors in the rest. Hope this helps a little.

Yes thank you...this sounds like what we’re looking for however won’t be doing a
            garage.

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
              I think residential comps in the area could help.

That’s a good idea thanks

Comment

if you ask people what they paid, a high percentage of the times, they will quote you lower than actual because they want you to think they are "savvy" and an expert negotiator, sort of like asking some one what they paid for a truck....lol

Comps in the area with similar amenities are your best bet.

Comment

Custom homes to some are not true custom homes. The prices often change because land may or may not be included in the price per sqft. If you want to build a custom home then draw up your plans and get some estimates on what it would cost to build from local builders and go from there.

Comment

What I consider “mid grade” in my area will be $120 ish

You can’t build a deer stand for $75 a square

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                      Yes thank you...this sounds like what we’re looking for however won’t be doing a
                      garage.
                      You're not building a garage?

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                        You're not building a garage?
                        32 years old never used a garage even when i had one just something to collect junk.

Comment

i am betting the ones saying <$100/ft have included the garage and the porches in the square footage. there is a builder around here that advertises $90/ft but when you read the fine print that price is "under roof," not "heated and cooled." its probably close to a $20/ft difference on average.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                            32 years old never used a garage even when i had one just something to collect junk.
                            If you ever plan on selling the home then I'd build a garage. Not having one will hurt you on resale big time.

Comment

In the end, the finishes can swing your number a pretty good amount. Things like movie rooms, garages, porches, etc are a way to add square footage, cheaply. 2 story versus 1 story, is a pretty big delta as well, adding bathrooms arent cheap either. $150 psf is a good general number IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X