Whelping Box Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whelping Box Thoughts

Been looking for a whelping box. Any info on what's a good one to get or DIY build would be appreciated. Female is about 45 # and expecting around 8 puppies.

Kids swimming pool.

Comment

I use DuraWhelp.

Comment

built a 4 foot square one out of plywood painted white. used a 3" PVC pipe system around the edge for a safety rail... Lab with 11 pups... all made it just fine... Round (like a kiddie pool) is not good unless it has a good rail. Round increases the chance female will roll over on and smother pups...

Edit to add pic of box with rail...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00327.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	24591616
        Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 09-03-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

We’ve got a couple that I built with 14-16” sides out of plywood. I don’t like using a pool.

The front has a hinged section that can be lifted as the pups start to grow or left down for easy momma access.

Just used a 2x4 as a rail for the pups to be able to crawl under without getting crushed.

The best thing is that they can be taken apart with 8 screws and stored flat.

I’ll see if I can find a picture

Comment

I went square with a 100 watt light bulb. Plans are on the web............

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              built a 4 foot square one out of plywood painted white. used a 3" PVC pipe system around the edge for a safety rail... Lab with 11 pups... all made it just fine... Round (like a kiddie pool) is not good unless it has a good rail. Round increases the chance female will roll over on and smother pups...

Edit to add pic of box with rail...

[ATTACH]970875[/ATTACH]
              Thanks for the pic.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  Kids swimming pool.
                  This right here. Add some cedar shavings and you are $25 all in. Works great.

Comment

We built one similar to what AtFullDraw made, but we are planning on more litters. The kiddie pool works as long as it's big enough. One thing you might consider is using the kiddie pool during the actual whelping because of the amount of fluids and clean up and when she is done, the next day move her to a box with rails. There used to be a very helpful Facebook page for canine whelping too. I'm trying to find the name of it.
                    And www.revivalanimal.com has great prices as well as things you will definitely find helpful for puppy health and record keeping etc. I use the catalog for ideas and some things I can get cheaper elsewhere but they are the only complete source for whelping.

Comment

DIY cheap and doesn't have to be too heavy duty of wood I just used 1x1s and light ply wood. depending on type of puppy make walls taller than you think cus my lab pups started to climb over the edges.

Comment

Thanks for all the info and ideas, think I'm gonna go ahead and build one.

Comment

Get one of these for the floor

We’ve tried several brands and this one is the best

EZwhelp 48" x 60" Machine Washable, Reusable Pee Pad/Quilted, Fast Absorbing Dog Whelping Pad/Waterproof Puppy Training Pad/Housebreaking Absorption P https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AY7GIC..._U1PdOW2T9l3Wn

Comment

Originally posted by Topgun View Post
                            I use DuraWhelp.
                            This is my plan for when mine has pups in the next year

Comment

Whelping Box Thoughts

Plenty of dogs out there why is anyone whelping.....

Last edited by eastxhunter; 09-06-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X