North Texas Tannery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    How do you ship them? I just d salted and froze a nilgai hide last night. He needs to be fleshed and tanned. But it's big and heavy. Does it need to be an insulated box?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Never salt before you flesh.. It needs to be fleshed(all fat and meat removed)and then salted.. Salting before hand can make fleshing a real pain in the butt.. Do not let it dry out in the state you have it in now.. Wash the salt off/out, flesh it clean and re-salt...
    Last edited by PondPopper; 04-03-2019, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Never salt before you flesh.. It needs to be fleshed(all fat and meat removed)and then salted.. Salting before hand can make fleshing a real pain in the butt.. Do not let it dry out in the state you have it in now.. Wash the salt off/out, flesh it clean and re-salt...
      It's a frozen rock right now. I took it to a taxidermist and he ballpark quoted me $400 without even seeing it. I didnt want it that bad so I tried to just buy time by freezing it.

Comment

I've also taken a few hides and a couple of euro's to NTT and always turned out great. Robert has always done me good...

Comment

Only had a couple of axis hides from there, and waiting on a WT hide. Good experience with them so far.

Comment

I’ve had a bunch of axis hides and pillows done at NTT and all turned out good.

This year I have a badger and a big boar coon from up North that I need done and now I’m debating on sending there. Can you specify for them to be stretched so they don’t lose their size?

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
              It's a frozen rock right now. I took it to a taxidermist and he ballpark quoted me $400 without even seeing it. I didnt want it that bad so I tried to just buy time by freezing it.

if you laid it flat how long and wide do you think it is, in feet?

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                if you laid it flat how long and wide do you think it is, in feet?
                Maybe 5x4

Comment

The hide I received had not been degreased and the hair was all matted! (NOT FINISHED)
                  I always heard that they were really good and professional, this was not the case with the coon I received in the mail!

Comment

Ive had several deer and a beaver done there. Very happy all around. Only think I wish he did different was hair off buckskin.

Comment

I've used them 3 times and have been very pleased

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                        The hide I received had not been degreased and the hair was all matted! (NOT FINISHED)
                        I always heard that they were really good and professional, this was not the case with the coon I received in the mail!
                        What did they say when you called them about it (assuming you did)?

Comment

Are there any other options y’all have had success with?

Comment

When my son shot his first doe, many years ago, I brought the hide there and was very pleased.

Comment

Shane --- "What did they say when you called them about it (assuming you did)?"
                              The guy said to just put it in the dryer for a little while!

To me this is unacceptable! When the hide is shipped, it should be completely finished and that includes removing the grease from the fur!

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                                The guy said to just put it in the dryer for a little while!

To me this is unacceptable! When the hide is shipped, it should be completely finished and that includes removing the grease from the fur!
                                Yes sir. Sounds like you didn't get their typical quality of service, somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X