Electric trucks are coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sotol View Post
    Don't smoke, eat healthy and get plenty of exercise.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
    I do all of that.....so you are saying there is a chance.

Comment

why not a diesel generator to power the electric motor/charge batteries. if it can haul that much it shouldn't be an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
        How much Electricity does it eat up trying to charge the batteries and how do we get that power? In my mind, those the electric car has no place unless it sustains itself. I know that is a HUGE order to fill, but why trade my petro bill for massive electric bills where power is still made by petro products?
        IF the electric trucks really do produce the towing and hauling capabilities they say, and IF it can withstand that kind of stress over 500+ miles, hey I'm all for its success, but for now, I'll stay respectfully skeptic.
        I think you may be confusing the idea of electric vehicles to replace fossil fuels. What I see happening is the electric vehicles will replace combustion due to them being quieter and lower maintenance and cheaper to operate...initially. However, if a large portion of the population is driving electric vehicles, which I fully expect in the next 25 years, the cost of electricity will sky rocket. Electric plants are powered by fossil fuels so fossil fuels will always have their place, or at least I hope being a Texan. But, we will either have to build more electric plants, or...have blackouts due to not enough power on the grid. In addition I see a huge increase in demand for advancement of solar or wind powered electricity. Regardless, change in what powers our cars directly is coming. No oil changes, no transmissions, no stops at gas pumps, no issues associated with a combustion motor wear parts are huge positives. What then is the next hurdle, is replacing and recycling batteries.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tesla is actually lagging behind on the electric pickup market. "Rivian" and "Atlis" already have working prototypes and numerous videos out there. Amazon just invested HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in Rivian. Rivian will launch a Truck and SUV by 2020-2021 and has already begun taking pre-orders. The Rivian RT1 can go 400-600 miles between charging depending on battery pack AND be FULLY recharged in 1 hour. Tesla doesn't even have a platform yet.

We'll see if all the claims come to fruition when they say they will. It's coming whether we are ready or not. I think this is another example of poor planning of infrastructure ready programs and products. Like Sticks&Strings stated, get ready for electricity rates to sky-rocket. More Natural Gas vehicles may be on the horizon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
            I think you may be confusing the idea of electric vehicles to replace fossil fuels. What I see happening is the electric vehicles will replace combustion due to them being quieter and lower maintenance and cheaper to operate...initially. However, if a large portion of the population is driving electric vehicles, which I fully expect in the next 25 years, the cost of electricity will sky rocket. Electric plants are powered by fossil fuels so fossil fuels will always have their place, or at least I hope being a Texan. But, we will either have to build more electric plants, or...have blackouts due to not enough power on the grid. In addition I see a huge increase in demand for advancement of solar or wind powered electricity. Regardless, change in what powers our cars directly is coming. No oil changes, no transmissions, no stops at gas pumps, no issues associated with a combustion motor wear parts are huge positives. What then is the next hurdle, is replacing and recycling batteries.

Other states like Illinois already have plans in place to add taxes to electricity and electric vehicle registrations to make up for not using gasoline. What some people haven’t considered is that by using heaters and air conditioners on these electric vehicles, the advertised range is not even worth looking at.

They’re now trying to force the introduction of totally electric, autonomous farm tractors that use big power cords with self adjusting reels on carts. Very few farmers will be able to afford the installation of power requirements in out of the way places. Those will be limited in practical use. Trees and rocks and other obstacles will make them also impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
              How much Electricity does it eat up trying to charge the batteries and how do we get that power? In my mind, those the electric car has no place unless it sustains itself. I know that is a HUGE order to fill, but why trade my petro bill for massive electric bills where power is still made by petro products?
              IF the electric trucks really do produce the towing and hauling capabilities they say, and IF it can withstand that kind of stress over 500+ miles, hey I'm all for its success, but for now, I'll stay respectfully skeptic.
              This. It makes zero sense in the move to "green" to have your electric car charged by hydro carbons. FTR, I'm not against hydrocarbons and I personally don't believe they will be totally replaced in the next fifty years, much less in what few years I have left on this planet, but I could dig an electric truck since I'm not driving 250/300 miles a day anymore. I think my hunting cart is better than my gas Ranger in most instances so yeah, I'm ready, but cautiously optimistic.

I probably should also say that I just bought a new F150 nearly a year ago which will probably last me until I don't wake up one morning so it's probably a moot point.

Comment

Electric is coming and it’s coming much faster than anyone anticipated. I bought a new f250 in 2016 and I’m guessing my next truck will be electric. Anyone on the verge of buying a truck, say in the next 2-3 years may want to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Electric motors are already available that would be on par with any truck with a diesel or gas engine. It's the batteries that have been the issue. Battery Technology is improving and will be sufficient at some point where you will be able to drive an electric vehicle anywhere. It's coming, how soon? Who knows....

Look up diesel-electric locomotives... Essentially they are diesel powered generators/turbines to power the electric motors that actually power the locomotive...
                  Agreed. Why we haven't gone there makes no sense, except for the fact big oil fights it.
                  About 8yrs ago or so, there was a guy who built a truck and displayed it at the SEMA show.
                  Had 800hp, and 1000+ ft lbs of torque. Electric motor at each wheel, and a generator for the engine. The truck averaged somewhere around 110 mpg. He used a brand new Chevy 2500 as the platform if memory serves me correct.
                  The technology to have vehicles that average in the 100 mpg range has been around for awhile.
                  Anyone know the MPG a train gets VS say a F250, when you figure in the weight difference?

Comment

I've driven a client's Tesla. Cool deal. I wouldn't mind an electric truck but I'm not convinced it is an environmental positive. Battery manufacturing and disposal not to mention accidents. Still, I think the biggest move for electric will be autonomous tractor trailers slaved to a driver. I expect to see rigs with unattached trailers following on the interstates in the next 5-10 years. These would be hauling enough weight to make an on board generator viable.

Comment

How much pollution will this cause?
                      The more dependant on electricity we become the more strain we put on the electric grid.

I'm not saying it's not cool and all that. I imagine it's probably really quiet as well

Comment

I'm curious of these 300 Hp motors and how large they will be? I work on electric motors for a living and a 300 horse motor is quite large and heavy. Do you have any specs of these motors, I don't build them I just set them up to drive what I maintain and repair.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          Agreed. Why we haven't gone there makes no sense, except for the fact big oil fights it.
                          About 8yrs ago or so, there was a guy who built a truck and displayed it at the SEMA show.
                          Had 800hp, and 1000+ ft lbs of torque. Electric motor at each wheel, and a generator for the engine. The truck averaged somewhere around 110 mpg. He used a brand new Chevy 2500 as the platform if memory serves me correct.
                          The technology to have vehicles that average in the 100 mpg range has been around for awhile.
                          Anyone know the MPG a train gets VS say a F250, when you figure in the weight difference?
                          This is where I'd put my money. Just a scaled down version of a train maybe..? Not sure what size generator it'd take to run it but I'd think emissions would be a whole lot less. The pollution created in the production of all those huge batteries will be more than what these new cars are putting out--if you include mining, shipping to china and them blowing all kinds of zhit into the air, then shipping to Japan for production, then shipping here. Then, how long will it last until you get to buy another one?!
                          Still will all boil down to $$$$.

Comment

Actually electric has it's good points but it can never do this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82x-CLSAQoc"]Smoking a Vette[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              This. It makes zero sense in the move to "green" to have your electric car charged by hydro carbons. FTR, I'm not against hydrocarbons and I personally don't believe they will be totally replaced in the next fifty years, much less in what few years I have left on this planet, but I could dig an electric truck since I'm not driving 250/300 miles a day anymore. I think my hunting cart is better than my gas Ranger in most instances so yeah, I'm ready, but cautiously optimistic.

I probably should also say that I just bought a new F150 nearly a year ago which will probably last me until I don't wake up one morning so it's probably a moot point.
                              It actually does make a ton of sense. And not because of the elimination of use of fossil fuels. I dont think most care If its oil based or not. For most consumers it is all about what the costs and maintenance associated with the vehicle are during their ownership. And that....leads to electric cars right now. But I expect that gap to narrow over the course of time. I have a client that is a car nut. Owns about 10 mustang's. And a tesla. Said the tesla is amazing and he gets free nights and weekends on his electric bill, so the car has cost him zero to power it. He charges it at night when his electricity is free.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

i agree with this except, factor in the advent of every roof top in the city covered in solar technology... thats the key, and tech is moving us much faster to that reality than any-other time in history. the naysayers have an understandable 'we have heard all this for years', but its coming. ive been following this outfit in austin for a few years and they just went live recently:

Welcome to the new age of crypto hardware.

grid + solar + blockchain = the future for energy

Comment

Working...
                                X