circular saw power cord??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

circular saw power cord??

anyone ever use a heavier duty extension cord to make a longer power cord for power tools? I broke off one of the prongs on the plug of my Milwaukee sidewinder 15 amp, its old cord could use updating so I thought i'd ask here before I order a new one.

First thing I do to a new saw is put a 20 foot cord on it.

Comment

Yep, any time I replace an old cord, I use an extension cord. 12 or 14 awg, depending on what it is...12 for your saw.

Comment

was trying to find an old episode of the new yankee workshop or this old house where I thought either Norm or Tom Silva said the same thing first thing they do I replace the cord with a 20 ft one thanx guys

Comment

now for the simple question do you just buy a 12 awg extension cord and cut it for the length needed? and will any type do or do I need a special type for outdoor use or all they all the same?

Comment

I have an old cord I found on a jobsite missing an end, I cut hunks off it to replace factory power cords. It's 12ga. but I replace lighter cords with it. It seems to improve performance a little too.

Comment

Doesn't OSHA have a problem with long cords like that on a job site? I thought they had to be 6' or less. I do understand most are talking about personal use and not on a jobsite.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                Doesn't OSHA have a problem with long cords like that on a job site? I thought they had to be 6' or less. I do understand most are talking about personal use and not on a jobsite.
                Probably so. If it's logical, OSHA has a problem with it.

Comment

I would consider the type of cable used.

SO, SJ or SJO is what I would use. This type uses a rubber jacket vs the plastic you find with most store bought extension cords. SJ has a 300V rating while SO has a 600V rating and has a thicker neoprene jacket which is very resistant to chemicals, cuts/nicks/burns and general abuse.

With a corded portable power tool, #14 is typically all you need for the cord. Now with extension cords #12 works better. My $.02

Side note... I have several Home Depot "Rigid" brand power tools which have longer than normal cords on them. They also have a lighted cord cap on them as well as a velcro strap on them that makes it nice to keep the cable rolled up while not in use.

Comment

SJTW is a very durable cord, without the sticky rubber jacket that SJ and SO cord has.

Many of your commercial grade extension cords are SJTW.

Include a quality cord cap (Hubbell, P&S, Leviton) and you'll be in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just use a 12g 10' extension cord and whack off the one end. It's worked for 20+ years.

Comment

Kinda on the opposite end but I've been tempted to cut all my cords down.

Makes them easier to store and transport

Comment

^mmoses^ what he said, then when you accidentally cut a power cord, its easier to fix extension cord than tearing down the circular saw.

Comment

I accidentally cut mine on the saw. It's about 6" long or so. I just replaced the end. I kind of like not having to roll it up when I put it away. I always used a cord any way, so no real change.

Comment

what is wrong with an extension cord? DMK, some of mine are too...I like them

Comment

Working...
                              X