Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #51
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Heck. Half of tbh will tell you that a 243 is plenty for nearly any animal in North America haha
Because it will with the RIGHT bullet for the application and the RIGHT shot placement... I wouldn't shoot a Aoudad in the shoulder with my 300RUM. Unless I had too much less a .243.
Notice, according to the way I read it, the one in the rib cage brought him down..
Familiarity with the critter you are hunting and their muscle/skeletal structure helps greatly..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 10-12-2017 at 07:44 AM..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #52
chrisgunguy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking.....

Gar! It is not uncommon for us to finish a 5-6 hour long night and have living Gar in the bottom of the barrel with a hundred pounds of carp on top of them and an arrow hole in them and they are still clinging to life.
chrisgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #53
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

GarGuy shot an old 10pt a couple of years ago and called to tell me. I had skipped a morning hunt so was glad to jump in on the track and drag. He'f shot the buck about 45min after daylight that morning and I didn't get to his house until around 9am. The arrow was painted in blood and there was a 1" wide constant stream of blood on one side, and clouds of arterial spray on the other. We followed that trail like that for 300 yards or so until it started playing out. We continued on the trail until we found a bed with dry blood in it (an indication that the deer had bedded for a short time and we hadn't bumped him). We backed out at that point and went back to the house for lunch. After lunch we resumed the trail and and followed tiny specs of blood for almost 2 miles from the initial shot and the bloods had pretty much completely played out. There were 2 possible directions the deer could have gone so GG went one way and I went the other. I jumped the deer. I went to where he'd been bedded and sure enough there was a dollar bill sized spot of wet blood. I told GG the deer seemed to be totally fine when it ran off and pointed out the area where I had last seen it. This was baout 3:30pm 9 hours after the initial shot...

The next morning about 10am I get a call from GG. I asked what he was doing and he said, "Looking at this deer you couldn't find yesterday." I was blown away and told him not to touch anything that I'd be there soon. My wife and I rode out, I had to see it for myself. It was almost 11 by the time I got to him. The deer had been shot through the liver, entered the back of one lung, dead centered the other, and knocked a chunk the size of a walnut out of his heart. The deer was still limber and warm on a cool morning. He had just died!
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #54
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

A big orange striped Tom cat..I shot him on two seperate occasions @ 30yds with a .22 short.Found blood,fat,meat,and hair,both times.He didn't come around much,but I saw him licking his butt in the honeysuckle the day I sold my old house.True story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #55
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

This will get wacked and me sent to the cooler but my Ex was the toughest I ever saw. She could bleed for 7 days and not die.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #56
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

My brother in law allowed me a chance at a great buck he shot two years before. The shot looked good. Hit a touch high but went through both shoulders and lodged in the opposite shoulder bone. BH was a grim reaper. He never found that deer. I eventually killed him two years later and he was 9 years old and found the BH fused to the bone. Amazing how he survived.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #57
hoythitman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever you want to trade for a fishing trip or two

When I was 18 I had an old S-10 with a 383 in it. Was was out cruising across the Oklahoma state line, from Arkansas, going to pick up my ex wife, girlfriend at the time. I was running 70-75, came around a corner and there was a herd of cattle across the roadway. I jammed it into second gear and braced for impact. Took a big ol Hefner broadside, snot down one side of the truck and fertilizer down the other. From the front bumper to the beginning of the extended cab was a perfect slope, no boxy body lines. Cow had to be put down 4 hours later by a trooper. County shot it in the head with a 45 about 10 times and it kept eating. Poor thing suffered a lot. All of it’s legs were broken, ribs were broken, then idiot deputy didn’t listen about proper putting down technique. Always had a bigger respect for cows after that. Tough critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoythitman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #58
jay07ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Angelina & Gonzales Counties, TX; SW Montana

Toughest animal I've ever dealt with was the Javan Rusa I killed in Australia. I shot him initially (with 7 Mag) while he was standing still, right behind the shoulder at 200 yards. He then takes off running towards a crest of a ridge. I ended up getting two more shots off before he went over the ridge, and was wondering if I had missed all three shots, considering he was running like he was perfectly healthy and never flinched on any shot that I took. We tracked the blood trail for a few hundred yards and finally found him dead with three bullet holes within 4 inches of each other behind his shoulder. Once we opened him up, we realized he had run almost 500 yards with a completely exploded heart and lungs that were turned to mush. Tough SOB
jay07ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #59
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

Zebra I shot while in Africa. He jumped the string at 30 yards and I hit him high in the lung and spined him. He fell down at the shot, got back up and ran over 900 yards before he finally tipped over. We ended up cutting the broadhead out of the vertabra.
hgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #60
TxAgBowHntr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City

Nilgai cow...took a .300 win-mag to the head from about 200 yards out...dropped her in her tracks. When I got up to her, she was still breathing and almost kicked me (luckily I was just out of range...tall grass so couldn't tell right away). I then put three more in her chest before I was tired of screwing around and put another in her head. I was amazed!
TxAgBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #61
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Had a guy on my lease shoot a big aoudad ram and he pulled the shot and arrowed him through the neck. 2 days later that ram came to another guy's feeder on my lease and he arrowed him quartering away and just behind the shoulder and we never found him. 2 weeks later the same ram came limping to my feeder and I just happened to have a 30-06 with me. I decided to finish him off and shot him high shoulder. He hit the dirt and I turned to lean my gun back up in the corner. When I turned back around he was up again and running. Never did find him and looked for a long time.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #62
topher
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Coyotes, will chew his leg out of a steel trap and live. Will to survive!
topher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #63
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Nobody has said A 271" whitetail buck?
Better be careful.... apparently threads that mention this deer get whacked.....
Pullersboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #64
kdkane1971
Four Point

Blackbuck antelope - pound for pound toughest hombre out there. Shot one twice with a 7mag before he would go down.
kdkane1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #65
webb09
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb County

South Texas mature buck in full rut
webb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #66
Wayno
Ten Point

I saw a friend shoot a WT buck broadside at 20 yards with a 300 WM. Blew out his off side shoulder. Second shot as he was running took out his back leg. We trailed it about a half mile when it jumped and ran. Decided to give him overnight. Trailed him the next morning for a couple of miles and jumped him still alive. Third shot put him down enough that we could get to him and stick a knife in his chest.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #67
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160class View Post
I hadn't killed one but I've seen an Oryx take 2 CCs of bam and walk it off like it's nothing
Had a couple of bucks years ago when I was still using Telazol/Xylazine that were like crack heads. One buck weighed about 160lbs, hit him with 2cc's and didn't even phase him. Hit him with another 2cc and knocked him out for about 10 minutes barely long enough to get him on the trailer. His son was the same way. About 170lbs. on the hoof and hit him with 2.5cc's and knocked him out for about 15 minutes. Never used any reversal on the blue tag line....
Hawkpuppy 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #68
colonel62
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever my next adventure takes me

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. We run hog dogs and had a good boar bayed in a fallen tree top. Fella shot him once with a 30-30. He busted out of the tree top and I watched a guy put three 44 mag bullets in his head as he ran by. He touched the barrel to the hogs head on the third shot. These weren't misses. All 3 shots connected. I was standing next to the guy shooting the pistol. The boar made it another 50 yards before giving up.
colonel62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #69
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
This will get wacked and me sent to the cooler but my Ex was the toughest I ever saw. She could bleed for 7 days and not die.
ha ha ha.

I shot a coyote a couple of months ago and went up to it after the shot and took pictures. Went back to hunting for another hour and then drove the Mule to pick up the coyote. As I was pulling the Mule up to the coyote the danged thing jumped up and took off.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #70
lonestarag
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Hag!

You don't shoot hogs in the forehead. Didn't your daddy teach you that??

They are also one of the few creatures to swerve away from in your vehicle cuz they'll flip you in a second.
lonestarag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #71
Farmdog
Ten Point

I just pushed very slowly a nilgai newborn calf...tough little thing but I should have thrown it on the pit tonight
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #72
Jackbdwyer
Spike

Hunt In: Public

Many years ago I shot a large turtle with a 20 g shotgun and blew its head to mush. I put it in my backpack and kept on going. 20 minutes later I thought I got stuck with a thorn or something and I looked over my shoulder to see where he stuck his head through an opening in my backpack and was biting the thin little skin over my ribs. 20 gauges wasn't enough, 40 was.

Jackbdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #73
Mohawkman
Six Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, And CO.

A beaver. Those things can really take a licking.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #74
seminole1990
Eight Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
TX bowslaughter

Legend has it that he fought off two dudes with fighting styles in his own garage while half asleep then chased down their pickup on foot and slashed a tire with his hunting knife...

...but I didn't see it happen myself though so it may not count.
You win the internet. Fighting styles! Loved that one. Tongue still stuck in cheek.
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #75
Reaper87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawkman View Post
Drops mic walks off stage
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #76
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyart View Post
married her almost 27 years ago
hahahahahahahahaha
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #77
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Never had the opportunity to hunt many of the critters posted...exotics or African game, but the good ole' American Feral Hog is still tops on my list.

*Visited a hog trap set near Beeville several years ago. Pulled up one morning to check and it had a nasty younger boar (about 150lbs guessing) snorting and running into the fence when I pulled up on my UTV. All I had, don't do it anymore as I also carry a Glock 10mm, was a AR15 wilde. Of course, the AR was scoped so I backed off about 20+- yards and let a round fly.

Thought I compensated for the scope but unfortunately it broke the hogs lower jaw, just flopped but he was MORE than pi..ed off. He had his eyes on me and kept charging the fence to get to me. Even thou I HATE these critters, I really felt bad because of the scope and my lack of shot placement! Any true hunter always strives for ethical, first shot kills.

Anyway, I adjusted my aim at the same distance and dropped him on the next shot with a heart/lung.

**Funny, to this day I remember that and won't EVER have the same result if I can help it, even with our Dam Feral Hogs.....10mm is a DRT!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #78
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:

Yep, you can’t seem to hurt those things.

shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #79
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!

Went to a Chinese buffet once. Pretty scary experience when I got 10 yards of the last egg roll and 3 people were eye balling it.

I shot a 315 lb Boar 2 months ago. Then I shot it again, and again, and again...
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #80
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson,Coryell, Bell

A large Tigershark 70 miles offshore, ate half of a large red snapper, then I caught the shark and he broke my line and moved on.
10132297 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #81
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancito1 View Post
Nilgai on few occasions
X10 one tuff dude right there. Anything that can run right through a barbed wire fence and never break stride is tuff.

Also shot a charging boar in the junk and he just kept righ on going.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #82
TeamAmerica
Six Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Just about every catfish I ever caught. I used to iced them down at the lake and bring them home to put in the tank. I guess the cold slowed their blood. Normally they will swim off after being filleted!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #83
Bowtech38
Ten Point

Quote:
Well played sir
Bowtech38 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #84
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Shot a doe 6 times over a 10-15 min span (with a .243) and 5 of the 6 were “kill shots”. Toughest animal I have ever experienced in person
Codie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #85
sendit
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
Yep, you can’t seem to hurt those things.

yeahhhh some can take a real pounding
sendit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #86
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Shot a pig in the head at 80 yards with a 58 grain bullet out of a 243 at nearly 4,000 fps. Dropped him. Then he got up and ran off.

Shot him a couple weeks later at 40 yards with a 45-70, then again in the sack as he ran away. That anchored him for good.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #87
Gherkin05
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Back home in NM I've seen Gemsbok and Barbary take 180gr 300 mag and run a long ways on many occasions. A lot of folks hit Gemsbok too high and they'll live, no problem.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #88
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Shot a coyote 5 times with a .243 using 100 grain softpoints. My first shot hit him in the bridge of the nose and took off one side of its face. I thought it was done for until he got up. When I went up to get him after making a lot of noise he was laying with the good side of his face up and I saw him blink. I ended up shooting him again with a .22 and that was that. I'm not proud of that one....at all. Made me feel pretty lousy seeing that coyote layin there tore up like that. I've seen my share of tough coyotes but that one definitely stands out.

Shot a 180 pound boar in Texas with the same rifle that was caught in a snare. Hit it in the shoulder with a 90 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. My buddy grabbed its leg and it flipped right side up and hit the end of that snare. He told me to shoot it in the ear with his .22 revolver. 6 shots later it was still alive and mad. Every time I put a bullet in his ear he'd shake his head and run at me. I got the .243 out and shot him behind the shoulder at point blank. I took pictures with that hog and we threw him in the back of my buddies old Suburban. We had driven a little ways when someone said to listen....That dang boar was still breathing. I have the skull and you can see one hole where a .22 bullet made it through. Apparently it didn't hit what it was supposed to.

Last edited by okrattler; 10-12-2017 at 10:22 PM..
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #89
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

350 pound bull while going to rodeo school. I never had a chance lol.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #90
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
Cape Buffalo

Not when you shoot them in the heart. They die.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #91
Mountaineer
Six Point

Hunt In: WV,SD, Hunt co

I was trapping black bears for research and attaching radio collars to sows. I used snares chained to a tree and checked them early every morning. Most bears would just sit there or climb up and down the tree base until they were darted, measured, and released.

I caught one big boar that tried to chew his paw off. 3 digits down to the bone. After I cleaned it up as much as possible and covered it with antibiotic ointment, he went on his way after the drugs wore off.

Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #92
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

when I was about 12 I shot a possum in the backyard with my pellet gun. I had to shoot that thing about 8 times before it finally died. pumping my old crossman up like a frantic crack head and putting one .177 7 grain pellet after another into the poor thing... that was the last possum I ever killed.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #93
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
when I was about 12 I shot a possum in the backyard with my pellet gun. I had to shoot that thing about 8 times before it finally died. pumping my old crossman up like a frantic crack head and putting one .177 7 grain pellet after another into the poor thing... that was the last possum I ever killed.
Opossums are tough. That reminded me of one I killed one time. I don't remember how many times I shot it but I'm wanting to say 11 or 12 with a Ruger 10/22. I could hear bullets thumping it so I knew I was hitting it. That sucker just started walking around in circles. I finally ran up on it and shot it in the head.

Saw two of my buddies shoot a opossum almost simultaneously with .22's and if ran off. I don't know how they're so tough but they don't give up the ghost easily. I think the trick is a head shot. Every opossum I ever smoked in the noggin right off the bat was down for the count.

I've seen some pretty tough porcupines and all jokes aside beavers are tougher than nails too. I've heard people talk about how tough badgers are but I've shot literally hundreds of them and only a few took more than one shot to kill. If you run up and thump one in the head with a jack handle it'll go bye,bye pretty quick.

Last edited by okrattler; 10-14-2017 at 12:14 AM..
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top