Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX
Default Rattling for Deer East Texas

Im on a place in Woodville, learned how to rattle in south Texas last year during the rut. Seems as if the deer in ETX are a whole lot smarter than the deer in STX, anybody have any good tips for me! the rut isn't far from kicking off!
justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

It works but you better have some natural barrier to keep him from getting down wind if you are planning to shoot one with a bow, I've rattled several bucks in east texas but they will absolutely come in from the down wind side regardless of where they are when they pick up on your rattling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Never had it work. Ever. Seems the buck doe ratio is way to out of whack. I know they fight bc I had busted up deer last year on cams but I just haven't ever gotten it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I rattled one in 2 years ago. He ended up busting me on the down wind side. It's was around mid October
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

It works. You may not know it because the buck got downwind and busted you, but it works. Stay well hidden and make sure the wind is right from where you believe the deer will be coming from. It's a lot easier to rattle them in down in South Texas. East Texas deer as the smartest ones in the state. I would suggest not over rattling. A decoy or two also helps. Chances are you won't be successful, but it's worth a try. I've only been able to take a deer while rattling in East Texas twice. I've tried it at least 50 times. I think your best bet is to be silent and hunt the game trails.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Never had it work. Ever. Seems the buck doe ratio is way to out of whack. I know they fight bc I had busted up deer last year on cams but I just haven't ever gotten it to work

This has been my experience. Unless you count coyotes. Ive rattled in 2
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
This has been my experience. Unless you count coyotes. Ive rattled in 2

Lol. Rattle once and had a doe blow at me. Does that count?

Old 09-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
CEO
Ten Point

I rattled up a 170" ten point outside of Bedias about 15 years ago. Only problem was he lived on the other side of a high fence that bordered the property I was hunting. Aside from that I've tried a few times with no success.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #9
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

I have been rattling in Freestone county for 20 years and have not had near the success as I do out in Schleicher county. Have rattled in several over the years, but not near like out west. Have a buddy that rattled in a 145 two years ago. Helps to get down in the thick stuff and away from the open meadows and feeders. Technique is the same as any where else, but location is key.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Lol. Rattle once and had a doe blow at me. Does that count?

At least its a deer.

Ive not had any luck trying to grunt at deer either. Ive literally watched bucks spar and grunt at each other, watch the winner stand there bristled up and grunted at him. No response whatsoever. Or see deer just outside of range and grunt. Bucks never break stride. Keep saying I'll dry a doe bleat and see how that goes. Sure cant do any worse
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Yeah, I think it only works on hunting shows with 1-1 buck doe ratios. Lol

Old 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
nothinbutwelves
Ten Point

ive never been succesful nor have i heard of anyone being succesful good luck Hoss
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
EastTx
Ten Point

I have rattled in a bunch over the years. I rattled in and shot a 139" 9 point with my bow last season in East Tx. Like others mentioned, hunt against a barrier so they cant get downwind, and the thicker the area the better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTx View Post
I have rattled in a bunch over the years. I rattled in and shot a 139" 9 point with my bow last season in East Tx. Like others mentioned, hunt against a barrier so they cant get downwind, and the thicker the area the better.

What kind of barrier are we talking. I think a buck could get through anything on my lease.
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
jjaimes
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
What kind of barrier are we talking. I think a buck could get through anything on my lease.
A deep creek, ditch, river, etc. something not easy for them to cross or offers resistance in order to cross.
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
SwineAssassiN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastrop co. Brazoria co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaimes View Post
A deep creek, ditch, river, etc. something not easy for them to cross or offers resistance in order to cross.
Well we don't have a river but several creeks. But the deer cross them no problem. I figured that's what he meant but I guess I'm just not really understanding if you're on the edge of a creek or ditch how does that keep a buck from running up behind you and winding you
SwineAssassiN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #17
Native Texan
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I've rattled in countless bucks in East Texas over the years. I always try to set up directly upwind of an active scrape on a calm morning with a slight breeze. I rattle for about 15-20 seconds, then repeat about 20 minutes later. Most bucks come in right after the second round.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #18
EastTx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
A river, lake, swamp, steep creek bank, deep ditch, steep hill, anything that can keep them from circling downwind of you.

EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #19
FlightCancelled
Six Point

Works great in certain areas and have to know how, I use cover scents and lots of it. Scent web puts off strong scent I like it. I killed a 157 last year rattling on thanksgiving morning.
FlightCancelled is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #20
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anderson & Coleman Counties

Absolutely works. Last week of Oct thru the first 7-10 days of Nov. My best morning I rattled in 5 different bucks. My son said it was just like he sees on TV

Always start off soft in case they're close then progressively get louder.

SKLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #21
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Just depends.. a lot of it has to do with your buck to doe ratio. If this is out of whack, the bucks don't have to "rut" as hard to breed does which means they aren't fighting as much because there are plenty of does to breed.

If your ratio is stronger, the bucks have to work harder (competition) to breed a doe.

4 years ago at our place I would have said hell no but now that ours is in check, it would be worth a try around the rut.
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #22
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
I rattled up a 170" ten point outside of Bedias about 15 years ago. Only problem was he lived on the other side of a high fence that bordered the property I was hunting. Aside from that I've tried a few times with no success.
That would have been a sight! Where was that at?
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #23
CEO
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
That would have been a sight! Where was that at?
It was on a high school buddies grandparents property. I don't remember the name of the high fenced place that bordered it but it had dozens of species. Ended up costing us in the end. We got in the habit of looking toward the high fence when we would reach the opening where the box blind was. On the last morning we looked right toward the fence and didn't see anything. Started walking toward the blind and we look left to see a ten point about 130" staring at us. We freeze but he hit the gas and got out of there. Lost a deer we could've shot trying to look at animals we couldn't.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #24
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

A handful of good ones in 30+yrs in leon co. Lots of 1.5's & 2.5's.
My wife even rattled a shooter in for my son once.
Definitely works on the right day or days and Worth a try when the conditions are right
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #25
Mo 7777
Spike

Hunt In: cass co

Always have a grunt call at hand. It will help!
Mo 7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #26
SapperTitan
Four Point

Deer are not smart they are just more in tune with their surroundings.

Rattling success will many times depend on buck to doe ratio. Also East TX is pretty thick in most areas so rattling may be working but you just never see the deer because they use the brush so sneak downwind of you and smell you before you ever see them. Timing is also very important, I've had most my success pre rut but have had success during the rut and post rut as well.
SapperTitan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #27
db@100
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
It was on a high school buddies grandparents property. I don't remember the name of the high fenced place that bordered it but it had dozens of species. Ended up costing us in the end. We got in the habit of looking toward the high fence when we would reach the opening where the box blind was. On the last morning we looked right toward the fence and didn't see anything. Started walking toward the blind and we look left to see a ten point about 130" staring at us. We freeze but he hit the gas and got out of there. Lost a deer we could've shot trying to look at animals we couldn't.
That would be my luck! I guess that's another reason not to put a blind near a fence.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Lampasas

Have had better luck using a canned doe bleat and grunt calls together.
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #29
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Bump
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #30
trash2
Six Point

Much more success in mornings for me it's probably 10:1 am vs pm
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #31
HoustonR6ryda
Ten Point

Hunt In: the woods

rattle'd (Primo's rattle bag) in a monster once in Oakwood,came in so fast I missed straight at the bottom of the tree,one of my greatest hunt's ever learned alot
HoustonR6ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #32
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

I've rattled in lots over the years. No monsters, but several nice ones. Young bucks sssm to be more gullible. I rattled in 4 different bucks last year at the same time, granted they were all 3.5 or younger. Then they started posturing towards each other when they saw each other. It was a fun hunt. But you do need some type of barrier downwind of you. In this particular case last year, it was an open field on the edge of an oak flat
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #33
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio

Not East Texas but I have found buck to doe ratio is over rated when it comes to rattling. I have rattled two sometimes three bucks at a time on a ranch that was way out of whack on the buck to doe ratio. It just depends on time of year. The best time is pre rut, when they first start chasing.

When the does are not quite ready but close. This is when you'll have the most success, granted most of them will be smaller younger bucks you will eventually get some mature ones who o come in. I like to rattle on the down wind side of a pipe line or creek.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #34
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

OP, I hunt just North of you in Zavalla. This buck responded to numerous cold calls; 1/2 dozen times both grunts and rattling, in 2014but was not shot. He again surfaced 2015 but was less responsive to rattling and was shot coming to check a dominant buck breeding grunt. Don't know what changed year to year but he wasn't nearly interested in the horns the second year I hunted him. I have found the younger bucks to be more responsive to rattling and older more mature dear favoring a mouth call in that area.
Attached Images

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #35
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Update: Friday evening rattled in a 4 pointer from my tree stand overlooking my feed pen, got him close a pizzed him off real bad with an extinguisher mature buck roar, finally tracked off, wish I would have had a buck decoy to study his reactions.

Saturday morning got down from the stand at 8am, and hauled butt to a big open lane in the middle of our place, bordering a creek and sparsely vegetated area. Rattled for 5 minutes with 10 minute intervals 3 times with. combination of buck and doe grunts, no specific pattern just trying to mix it up. I was set up with a briar pact about 6 foot tall, 20 foot wide and 20 feet long, under a small pine with tall grass on either side, wind coming from my back paralleling the creek, and headed down the East Texas version of an natural sendero. Gave it 10 minutes after the last rattle and stood up, took a step and turned around to look around and there was a long spike on the treelike about 30 yards behind me staring right at me. Learned my lesson there as to give them time to get through those thick east Texas woods. No luck Saturday evening around the feed pen, then Sunday was a rain out. Frigid air coming this weekend so it should light the rut on fire so midmorning rattling should be dang good, will keep y'all updated!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 AM   #36
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Like others, it has been best for me in oct. before they started locking down.
Best to try early, not late in the morning. My best luck is out of ladder stands. Elevated, but not too high. Cause they definitely come in looking.
And like someone above, seems better in the morning.

We do have a decent ratio in Leon co. More bucks means more chances one of them might be aggressive.

I rattled in a bunch last year in goliad. That was a ton of fun. Makes every buck look bigger !
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #37
Native Texan
Six Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Now is the time to try rattling!! This cool weather will have them active, frisky, and looking for does.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 03:21 AM   #38
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

I thought about this thread on Monday (Oct 30th) when I was using my climber to get down at 1250 after a long sit of seeing only one inside the ears nine point at 11:10.

I had made it about 5' down the tree when the noise of the climber decent must have resembled a buck fight or spiked curiosity because I had a 3 1/2 yo looking 8 point come in (one year class older than the previous mentioned 9) looking for the noise. He crept in looking for a bit, then skirted around me at 30-40 yards and went on to eat some brush before leaving but it was cool to see nonetheless.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #39
Tiger
Ten Point

may have better luck grunting
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #40
Gary Roberson
Six Point

A couple of years ago I wrote an article, "Common Sense Rattling for Hill
Country Whitetails" for THE JOURNAL OF THE TEXAS TROPHY HUNTERS magazine. The basics that I give you in this article work across the state.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #41
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

The better success I have had rattling was in an old meadow that my grandfather all but cleared and grew hay in. This particular meadow has a pond that borders it's South and West sides.
If I have been seeing deer activity on the cameras I would sit in the small thicket in the middle of the field, where I have a 360* view. Or, If the wind is right I will set up near the pond where they cannot come from downwind.
I give most of my luck to the fact that I can see them before they see me.

Another example....
On a property that we hunt down by the Sabine River there are some "cliffs" if you will and we have set up there at the base and rattled with luck as well. Again we see them before they see us, and we have a barrier that they cannot or don't cross.

Hope this helps
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top