A Buck's Nose - How good is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a 5 year old buck pick me out of a hay loft from 75 yards away? I'm 9ft up in the air on a hill top with one small window to look out of. He was downhill a considerable amount. Wind was blowing directly from me to him. 9:00 in the morning. He raised his head and stared straight into my eyes two different times for a minute or more but didnt wanna leave his doe. Was he smelling me? Or just scent checking and happening to focus on the barn I was in? Any thoughts?

In cold temps yes thermals come in to play with the wind. Something to do with the heavy cold air brings down the sent or something like that.

Comment

Comment

You shouldn't have looked him in the eyes!

Comment

I have deliberately walked upwind of a deer that was about the same distance. The young deer raised its head the ran away.

Comment

A deer has no problem smelling a human at 75 yards downwind. Scent molecules spread out and disperse into a wide area.

Comment

Very easily.

Comment

I've absolutely gotten busted by a buck more than 100 yards away. No question whatsoever - he was completely calm feeding in a pasture, I walked 200 yards through heavy woods where he couldn't see me and then crawled on my belly 100 yards to get in position for a 150 yard shot. No way on earth he saw me, when I popped up at the tree, he was staring directly my direction, stamping his feet, fully alert and then took off running. Wind was perfectly from me to him.

All I got in the scope was bouncing whitetail, huge antlers and shattered dreams.

So I shot a doe out of anger.

Comment

Charlie Alsheimer, who raised and studied deer for over 25 years, said his penned bucks could smell a doe in estrus at least 600/700 yards away, which was where the treeline was.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    I've absolutely gotten busted by a buck more than 100 yards away. No question whatsoever - he was completely calm feeding in a pasture, I walked 200 yards through heavy woods where he couldn't see me and then crawled on my belly 100 yards to get in position for a 150 yard shot. No way on earth he saw me, when I popped up at the tree, he was staring directly my direction, stamping his feet, fully alert and then took off running. Wind was perfectly from me to him.

All I got in the scope was bouncing whitetail, huge antlers and shattered dreams.

So I shot a doe out of anger.
                    I can see how he might smell you at ground level. But Im probably 15ft higher in elevation than this buck. And wouldnt the thermals still be rising at 9:00am?

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                      I can see how he might smell you at ground level. But Im probably 15ft higher in elevation than this buck. And wouldnt the thermals still be rising at 9:00am?
                      I think any level of wind will ruin the "thermals" theory.

Comment

My daughter and I had 2 doe smell us at 100 yards last weekend. We were 15 ft up in a blind. Wind was blowing right at them crossing a hay field. As soon as they stepped into that wind lane they had us pinned.

Comment

Yes, he could smell you.........

Comment

Best description I have ever heard of a deer’s nose is that when we smell a lasagna, we smell lasagna.

When a deer smells a lasagna, they smell...

noodles, ground beef, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil, fennel seed, pepper, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese....

A deer’s nose is basically unbeatable when attentive. You can’t mask your scent with another, the deer will just smell you AND the cover scent. Wind and thermals are, for me, more important than even camouflage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by IkemanTX; 10-22-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                              I think any level of wind will ruin the "thermals" theory.
                              Got it.

Comment

Working...
                              X