2004 Ford with 5.4 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 Ford with 5.4 motor

Looking a FX4 2004 with a 5.4 motor. I’m not as familiar with the Ford engines as I am Chevy. Thoughts/feedback on this year model and engine. Has 150k miles and looks really clean.

Had the same truck with about 90,000 miles and I think it was some timing chain broke and it required a whole new motor.. seemed to be a known issue when talking to people

Comment

Ask for records of when the plugs were last changed. Mine broke off my 200 F250 when I try to change them at 80,000 miles. Cost me $2,500 to replace a head. This is a known weakness of this engine

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure what your budget is, but I'd opt for a first year 5.0 which I believe came out in 2011. If this out of your budget, I'd stick with a GM 5.3 over Fords 5.4. I had an '09 and it just didn't impress me much on the towing/fuel milage.

Comment

Depends on how much the truck is. I have a 04 F150 with the 5.4 and 210,000 miles on it. The original plugs tended to break in half, but the replacements were upgraded and fixed that. Some have problems with cam phasers and timing, but not all. Ive only replaced one of my vct sensors, that was about a month ago. Easy fix, took about 20 minutes going slow. Timing chains problems doesn't mean a new motor, it does cost about 2k to fix all the parts to them. Gas mileage isn't great either, 14 mpg all together. The 5.4 has been great to me.

Comment

My 05 5.4 made it 230,000 miles and was still going when I sold it. The top end was starting to make some noise, and the vacuum system had gone out on the 4x4 but it was otherwise in good shape. The spark plugs on those engines are better to just bite the bullet and have a shop change them. They are expensive but my original set lasted about 140k before it really began missing. Once they were changed it ran like new. I really didn’t have any issues with my truck except the 4wd system late in the truck’s life. It still rode quiet and good. Plan to do a plug change if you buy the truck and have a shop check the major systems out. Should last another 100k easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had to chime in, I've had three 2004, 5.4 in the Expedition.
              1st: 268k before I sold it, no major repairs
              2nd: 240k before I sold it, only 4 wheel drive issue, 700.00 fix
              3rd: 233 k, currently driving this vehicle, gas tank swapped at 200k due to crack. changed out complete fuel system at that time.

I work out of these vehicles and am a stickler about oil changes and other important fluids. Also had a 2000 5.4 that had a composite intake crack at 160k. 1600.00 changed it out and had 240k on it when I sold it. I'm a 5.4 fan obviously, hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Comment

It’s a piece of junk, run away.

Comment

Son had a 2006 5.4 and it had major plug issues and a gas smell Ford dealership couldn't ever find. He traded it for a Tundra.

Comment

The 5.4 was a good engine, spark plugs were a known issue. Just have a mechanic that is familiar change them and it’s not a big deal.
                    They aren’t great in terms of mileage but ford has never been known for economy. I owned a 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007 and now a 2015 and 2016 so I’m familiar with ford, it’s all we buy.
                    Of all the trucks I’ve owned I’d like to have my 2001 back, had 185k on it when I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Walk away. I had one and it turned into a money pit. Coil packs, plugs, cam phasers, a/c system, u-joints, the list goes on and on.

Comment

Those engines are Ford's 3 valve mod motors. They made decent power for the engine size, but have a list of problems. The cam phasers are known to go out and cause the engine to make a lot of rattling noises. They are also know for spark plugs breaking off in the heads. I seen a few that locked up, but that is a typical mod motor problem, if you don't change the oil often enough. I used to work for Ford dealers for many years, got out right before those and the 6.0 diesels came out. But I have many friends that were still in the dealers for years after I left. They have told me all types of stories about the 3 valve engines, the 4.0 SOHC engines and the 6.0s diesels, then the diesel that came out after that, don't remember if that was the 6.4 or 6.7, which ever was the last IH diesel Ford used, was also the worst one, it made the 6.0 look great. Which they cried about the 6.0 for a couple of years after it came out.

At 150,000 miles, I would expect a 3 valve engine to start having problems, if it has not already had multiple problems, that got fixed and the owner does not want to find out how many more problems it's going to have. All engines you should change the oil every 3,000 miles, don't care what type of oil you use. Ford's mod motors and most other over head cam engines it's even more important to change the oil often. When the oil passages start getting restricted up to the heads, it gets expensive in a hurry. A lot of the mod motors, had small pick up screens for the oil pump, those are known to plug up quickly and restrict the oil to the whole engine.

Comment

Let's not leave out blowing out the sparkplugs. Fairly common with these.

My old man has an expedition with 160k on it mostly trouble free. It sounds like a 12 valve diesel though. I'm guessing cam phasers from problems everyone else has had. He will probably trade it in soon

Comment

Run from those engines

Comment

As with anything else you will have tons of opinions but how many people commenting have actually owned one??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X