Ramcats vs. Slick Tricks ... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ramcats vs. Slick Tricks ... ?

I've shot ST 100's for years and really have no reason to change other than curiosity and boredom. For those who may have shot both of these, which do you prefer and why? Thanks!

In for this one. I've shot ramcats for years but have been carrying a 125 grain grizztrick with the intention of letting it do some work. In practice it shoots to the same spot as the ramcats.

I must say it's hard to find a sharper bh out of the package than a slick trick.
    Last edited by Slick8; 09-04-2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Never shot slick tricks but I wouldn't hesitate. I personally I shoot 125 gr Ramcats with the 1.5" cut. I like the fact that when I release an arrow, I know major damage is about to occur on the other end of the flight.

Comment

I have both and wouldn't hesitate to shoot either one. I used the slicks on everything until I tried the Ramcats, not the slicks are my pig heads and cats are my deer heads. Only bad thing about the cats is quiver space.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
          I have both and wouldn't hesitate to shoot either one. I used the slicks on everything until I tried the Ramcats, not the slicks are my pig heads and cats are my deer heads. Only bad thing about the cats is quiver space.
          that's a good word. Why do they take up more space? Are you shooting the slip blades or fixed?

Comment

Here's a reason or two.

Sorry I cleaned up the blood for pictures. When this deer jumped the fence, I saw blood coming from both sides. It's a 125 grain 1.5" Ramcat, the deer went 70 yards wobbled and fell over stone dead.

Second is a doe I shot with the ramcats that no amount of wet rags would clean up. She went 30 yards and did the wobble n flop.

In the past 5 or 6 years, all but one of my bow kills have came from the 125 ramcat. I've had some less than spectacular blood trails. I attribute that to shooting very tight to the shoulder in which the shoulder muscle seems to cover the hole through the ribs. Doesn't matter, they don't go far when shot in the deadly V.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have both in my quiver haha

Comment

My experience with them is that the Ramcats fly better than the Slick Tricks and I believe they are quieter as well due to solid blades and not vented. I haven't put a Ramcat through an animal yet as this is my first year with them, but I do know that I don't have to worry about the arrow as these things shoot like darts (same POI out to 60 yds with my setup) I'm shooting the smaller Ramcat (Single Bevels 1" cut)

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                  that's a good word. Why do they take up more space? Are you shooting the slip blades or fixed?
                  The 125's with a 1.5 inch cut are hard to fit in a quiver. The tips will many times hang out of the quiver which is something you need to be cautious of.

I'm shooting a tree limb which I've had for years. It's the type that has two pins which attach to your sight and then the quiver will cam lock onto the pins.

My only complaint with the Ramcats is the hinged blades can be snagged. When spot and stalking hogs with a nocked arrow, if you snag a large weed or vine, it can hinge the BH forward which is not bueno.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                    My experience with them is that the Ramcats fly better than the Slick Tricks and I believe they are quieter as well due to solid blades and not vented. I haven't put a Ramcat through an animal yet as this is my first year with them, but I do know that I don't have to worry about the arrow as these things shoot like darts (same POI out to 60 yds with my setup) I'm shooting the smaller Ramcat (Single Bevels 1" cut)
                    I'm looking at the 100 gr. double bevel sliding blades - I hit with field point accuracy with my ST's as well and like the 4 blade cuts but curious to see if the ramcats punch a better hole more consistently or not. Only had one deer that wasn't recovered in the last 15 years but still want to shoot the best out there and I feel like it could be between these two for my setup.

Comment

Slick tricks always leave enough damage for me. On another thread I have a deer with my hand stuck through the rib cage. I planned on shooting a ramcat to see the hype... but quiver room and fact that it won’t clear riser without arrow being a bit in front of riser kept me from even shooting. Have a new 3 pack unshot I’d sell
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                        I'm looking at the 100 gr. double bevel sliding blades - I hit with field point accuracy with my ST's as well and like the 4 blade cuts but curious to see if the ramcats punch a better hole more consistently or not. Only had one deer that wasn't recovered in the last 15 years but still want to shoot the best out there and I feel like it could be between these two for my setup.
                        If you are having that kind of results then I wouldn't change. IMO the best head is the one that you have confidence in the most. If your set up is tuned well to Slick Tricks then I would just rock on with that.

Comment

I’ve shot the grizz trick 2s and ramcats. I decided to go with the ramcats. Flight is good from both blood trails are great. Both are really strong heads and have never had a ferrule bend or break. Downside to the ramcats is the blades can bend. Downside to the grizz tricks sound like a middle going down range. I don’t know if that makes a difference but I don’t want to take any risks with jumpy whitetails. I went with the ramcats and have not looked back. They will stay in my quiver for a very long time.

Comment

I realize st's make a little noise in flight but can't see how that makes any difference. The bow string at the shot is way louder which will be the dominant sound heard.

If you watch a video on slow motion the arrow is typically 10-12 yards down range before a deer starts it's reaction. And our small Texas deer seem to operate on a coiled spring reacting much more then other deer. That's just my most scientific opinion from watching way too many shows on the whisper channels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

use both, prefer ramcats because of the larger cut

Comment

Working...
                              X