Hog trap thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog trap thoughts

i am in need of a hog trap for smart hogs. lol the basic door trap stopped working. A guy came with a boar buster and caught 7 in one night... he then wanted to charge me 100 a pig after he gave me a "taste". i probably have 50 new pigs a yr... the issue is they are nocturnal. any other drop down traps around y'all like? thx! scott

Guys on here paying for a place like yours! Search hog lease. Can't beat getting paid to have someone hog hunting and "trying" to control the population!

Comment

I'm full of ideas, trouble is most of them don't work ! I have a 40' corral trap that I built and I trap some occasionally but not often. They're smarter than most folks think. Next time I move mine I'm gonna set it in the woods where I can frame the gate with a couple trees to hide it, paint all the panels black and see if that helps. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
        Guys on here paying for a place like yours! Search hog lease. Can't beat getting paid to have someone hog hunting and "trying" to control the population!
        This

Comment

Comment

i have tried the - let people hunt them technique... 20 people later i have maybe 40 dead hogs and a few broken four wheelers, missing this and that, gates left open, people wanting to shoot a "cull buck" an "old axis" etc . the traps that drop down seems to really work... is boar busters the only option? thx!!

Comment

The place my buddy bought this time last year came with a high dollar cell/remote trap that is about 40' across. We have regular spin feeder in it. As far as we can tell a pig has never entered the trap. (they hit the other 3 feeders daily) We get pics of deer crawling under the door to eat corn occasionally but zero pigs

Comment

We used to have pig issues in my old San Saba county place, then we put panels around all our feeders and they mostly moved off.

Comment

A corral trap is not automatically a great hog trap. I've seen ones with a 3' wide gate, and they wonder why the spooky ones won't enter. The wider the gate the better, and even better if there are two of them so they can see through. Pre-baiting is critical. If they're not entering the trap move the feeder near the gate so it slings some outside the trap and they can gradually get used to going inside.

Comment

About 18 years ago, I met a guy that built his own trial just like the boar buster trap and he used to catch a whole bunch at a time. Since then I have always wanted to make one.

Comment

I have a Bullcreek Gamechanger Jr and really like it. I went with it over the boarbuster for ease of transport. It is very mobile and sets up easy without tools.

Comment

Warfarin.

Comment

did they make Warfarin legal yet? that looks interesting... will it kill derr???

Comment

My trap is 6 16' panels with a 4' gate, regular tripod-mount feeder inside. I keep a game camera on the fence and it is obvious that they are not coming in the trap every night. Once they are regulars, I bait the heck out of the area with hand-corn, to include making a road from the other feeder 60 yds away to my door. Eventually, appetite overcomes caution and when they are coming regular, I set the trap. I've caught 30-35 so far this year.

Comment

We have attempted to trap with a few different types of traps but have definitely had the most success using AR's with the Pulsar Thermal scopes. We have killed around 70 in the last 5 months. We still have a long way to go but for once we are actually making a noticeable difference in the population.

Comment

Working...
                              X