Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hogs won't come out in daytime since shooting a big sow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs won't come out in daytime since shooting a big sow.

But I thought my shot missed her. My view was obstructed by hay bales. Couldn't see which direction she ran. And when I made a quick walk of the area couldn't see her anywhere, it was getting dark fast.

Found her two days later laying in tall weeds. The buzzards have since taken care of things.

I've noticed that the hogs stay in the thickets now in the daytime and will only come out after dark. Wonder how long they'll continue this pattern?

Hunt them at night. Get one of those sniper hog lights.

Comment

Originally posted by BaconIsMyFriend View Post
      But I thought my shot missed her. My view was obstructed by hay bales. Couldn't see which direction she ran. And when I made a quick walk of the area couldn't see her anywhere, it was getting dark fast.

Found her two days later laying in tall weeds. The buzzards have since taken care of things.

I've noticed that the hogs stay in the thickets now in the daytime and will only come out after dark. Wonder how long they'll continue this pattern?

Going on 3 years at my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
        Hunt them at night. Get one of those sniper hog lights.
        This^^. They sell lights for guns.

Any dead carcass nearby, coupled with shooting a gun at them would probably turn them a little nocturnal. Don't think the sex of the pig matters

Comment

The only thing predictable about hogs, is their unpredictability.

Unless you're at STGS' place. His hogs are just dumb.

Comment

IMO having Nocturnal hogs is a good thing. It gives the deer a chance to eat during daylight hours and then I also don't have to get to my stand early when the sun is still up and it's 100 degree's out. With the right lights and setup, shooting hogs at night can be easy.

Comment

Hogs remember. When I shoot during the day, I won't see them in that area for a ways. Not all the time but they do get more reserve. They do get more nocturnal. But also, pigs usually lay up during the day when it's hot out. Bet they return in cooler weather. Was frustrating for me until I got a thermal scope. Now, they can't hide. Death in complete darkness.

Comment

I shot a sow with my bow last Monday night. The pigs haven't been back to the feeder since. I finally saw them yesterday on my property for the first time since.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

The hogs on and around my property are nocturnal. However, last September my camera kept picking up a sounder that was coming out during the evening and morning daylight hours. I jumped in my stand one evening and sure enough a female came out. I nailed her with my crossbow. They stopped coming out during the daylight but kept coming out at night. I hit a young male one night and the sounder simply stopped coming around, although the lone boars would come to eat. Then, about two months ago the boars stopped coming too. I have no idea *** is going on. However, I do see more deer.

Comment

Most people think pigs will just come running to a deer feeder. Pigs are one of the toughest animals i have ever hunted, especially big, older pigs. They are very smart, aware of surroundings, and remember.
                    Pressured pigs are even harder. When i have been successful at hunting feeders i would check cams every 2 or 3 days. If a group was there in the daylight 3 to 4 days in a row i would hunt them. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Sometimes they would just completely disappear for a while. They are very unpredictable.

Comment

Ours are usually a week to two weeks after shooting one.

Comment

I wish mine would disappear, I have more pigs this year than I have ever seen and my deer sightings are way down, only have 2 pics of deer in the last few weeks, the rest are pigs. I'm going out this weekend to sit in the tripod and hope they show up, my AR would like to have some words.

Comment

I shot a big sow at my feeder about a month and a half ago. It ran about 10 yards and died. I left it there for the buzzards to clean up. Had lots of buzzard pics on the camera for the next three days. After that I haven't had hogs come to the feeder during the day and only a couple show up at night. I have deer eating at it every morning now. Before I killed that hog there were hogs throughout the day coming to the feeder and keeping my deer away.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I shot a big sow at my feeder about a month and a half ago. It ran about 10 yards and died. I left it there for the buzzards to clean up. Had lots of buzzard pics on the camera for the next three days. After that I haven't had hogs come to the feeder during the day and only a couple show up at night. I have deer eating at it every morning now. Before I killed that hog there were hogs throughout the day coming to the feeder and keeping my deer away.
                            This is what bugs me. The deer have been staying away since the hog activity picked up. Or at least they're staying on a northern part of the ranch. Harder to hunt them (deer). there.

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
                              I wish mine would disappear, I have more pigs this year than I have ever seen and my deer sightings are way down, only have 2 pics of deer in the last few weeks, the rest are pigs. I'm going out this weekend to sit in the tripod and hope they show up, my AR would like to have some words.
                              Do it but take your shotgun instead

Comment

Working...
                              X