Donkeys and deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donkeys and deer

Does anyone have donkeys? If so do they mess or interfere with deer? I know they keep coyotes away but how are they with deer? Do they spook the deer or chase them off? Will they mess with deer feeders?

We used to have 3 miniature donkeys and yes they liked to eat a little corn now and then so we built a pen around the feeder and it detoured them. As far as deer, they weren't really scared of them but wouldn't jump in the pen if the donkeys were right next to it. They liked to keep a 20-30 yard buffer from the donkeys.

Comment

Had donkeys destroy some feeders-they were getting off the neighbors place

Comment

Our place has 2 and as far as I know they are no bother.

Comment

Been hunting about 50 ac for the last 8-9 years and the donkeys haven't been a problem but all my feeders are penned up. Keep my slingshot and pocket full of 5/16" nuts in my pack and they leave in a hurry.

Comment

We had one for a few years (uninvited) and he wasn't that bad but if he did show up at a feeder and knew you were there he wouldn't leave. He did love to eat hand corn and pretend to be a bucking bronco every once in awhile which I'm sure scared any deer considering coming in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

They ate my hand corn, would lick my spin plate and would eat corn out of the jeep when I hunted with them. Feed pen and varmint guard took care of most problems. Couldn't leave an open bag of corn in the back of the truck ever.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have 2 on our lease and don't really have issues.

I've had them scare off deer before but I see it no different than cows.

Comment

I had seven on my place once that escaped my neighbor. They monopolized my food plots and the only pics I got were the danm donkeys. I called the SO, the animal control officer warned the neighbor, she rounded them up. There is no fence between us and I suspect she let them out of her pen because they were costing her to feed them. I ran them off several times, but they came back. This happened two years in a row. I was sorely tempted to put my backhoe to work, but I restrained myself. If donkey backstrap was any good, they might have disappeared slowly.....one at a time. There was a white one in the bunch and I tried to interest some of my friends in a " rare albino mule deer doe hunt " but alas, no takers.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      I had seven on my place once that escaped my neighbor. They monopolized my food plots and the only pics I got were the danm donkeys. I called the SO, the animal control officer warned the neighbor, she rounded them up. There is no fence between us and I suspect she let them out of her pen because they were costing her to feed them. I ran them off several times, but they came back. This happened two years in a row. I was sorely tempted to put my backhoe to work, but I restrained myself. If donkey backstrap was any good, they might have disappeared slowly.....one at a time. There was a white one in the bunch and I tried to interest some of my friends in a " rare albino mule deer doe hunt " but alas, no takers.
                      Ha

Comment

A lease I was on several years ago had a few. They would come in and eat corn right next to the deer. The deer might spook when they first come in, but then they would come back and all eat together.

Comment

Maybe GarGuy will chime in on this thread... I think he may be the only guy on the planet that hates those destructive suckers more than I do!! When they learn that they can push on your feeders and make corn fall out, that feeder will be on the ground in short order. They ate the camouflage netting right off my ground blind... That high dollar military stuff!! My experience with them is not good and deer would not come anywhere near 'em...

Comment

So at this point I'm leaning towards no on a donkey....

I was already initially leaning that way but if they are going to hit the feeder and spook my deer than a big fat no...

Comment

But they will guard your pigs like nothing else can.

Comment

Working...
                              X