Custom Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
    I just talked to Jon Beanland yesterday (he is about 45 miles from me), and had him put me in line for a rebuild on my Remington 40X that the barrel is shot out in. He is in Oklahoma, but barely. He is a good guy, and really knows his stuff. He is running about 6 months out right now, but then again, for some barrels you will wait nearly that long anyways. I ordered my barrel from Bartlein yesterday as well, and they estimated it would be 4-5 months. I would be leery of anyone who could start next week anyways, most good smiths are backed up at least a few months unless they have a big shop with several people working there.

My advice would be to figure out what kind of rifle you want exactly, then find a smith that does that kind of work, that has a good rep, and talk to him. Most have their specialties, and matching the smith to the build helps a lot. That way you aren't butting heads. Here in Texas I have used Mike Bryant (top notch, but not taking work right now), and Tip Burns down at Canyon Sporting Arms by San Antonio.

MB is no longer building custom rifles , retired from the business and closed shop

Comment

Here's a rifle I had built by a local 'smith in Buffalo (Wayne Chapman). It's really just a M700 standard length action with a Shilen #17 heavy varmint contour barrel, in a Remington BDL laminate stock w/factory .920 barrel channel. Stock supposedly came from a run of Sendero specials for either Bass Pro Shops or Gander Mountain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040013 (Small).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	24284993

Name:	P1040014 (Small).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	24284994

Anyway, it works well......chambered in .284 Winchester. Got a pronghorn doe at 400yds with it back in October. This is a 2nd round hit at 1000yds in preparation for that hunt.

Name:	IMG_9907 (Small).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	24284995

Point of all this is, you don't have to spend a whole bunch of money for good hunting performance. Although, the custom rigs shown are to drool over...

Stu

Comment

Just buy a rem 700 and throw a HS stock on it!

Comment

A s and s gun I believe just set another record last week , just saying

Comment

Ray Perry
            350 Henry Street
            Bridge City, Texas
            409 735 4007

He has built several for me with Hart barrels, accurized most of the other ones, and is about wrapped up with my 7 mag 2003 shot show limited edition that is getting a few tweaks and a new boyds stock.

Comment

Roberts Precision Rifles in Spring, Texas

Comment

Working...
              X