Freestone County Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freestone County Rut

For you folks that may have hunted in or around Freestone County this opening weekend, have ya'll seen any signs of pre-rut activity?

Best weekends are last two of bow season and first week of rifle. Atleast it was when I hunted there. Youth weekend was always the best.

Comment

Things are heating up around here right now. Had two young bucks in a knock down, drag out in my back yard yesterday evening. Was pretty cool to watch. The next two weeks should be high points in the rut. Opening weekend of gun season will be on the back end.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
        Things are heating up around here right now. Had two young bucks in a knock down, drag out in my back yard yesterday evening. Was pretty cool to watch. The next two weeks should be high points in the rut. Opening weekend of gun season will be on the back end.
        That's good to hear. I've been drawn for the archery hunt over at Richland Creek WMA. It's gonna be the 22nd through the 26th. That's also during the full moon period. I'm ready!

Comment

We hunt near there and from 10/22 to 11/1 is the best time...

Solunar says 2nd best hunting time in OCT this year will be 10/24 and it's a full moon. I'd be in the stand that week, rut will be kicked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
            That's good to hear. I've been drawn for the archery hunt over at Richland Creek WMA. It's gonna be the 22nd through the 26th. That's also during the full moon period. I'm ready!
            Good luck, you should be hitting it just about right... maybe a tad late but will still be good. There have been some BIG deer shot back there over the last several years.

Comment

Texan16, that one that I'm assuming your son is holding on your avatar is a beast too. Did your boy shoot that?

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                This right here is dead on for Freestone County.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
                  Texan16, that one that I'm assuming your son is holding on your avatar is a beast too. Did your boy shoot that?
                  He wishes he shot it. That deer was taken off the Mobley Ranch in Bryan a few years ago by another hunter we were guiding. My son has shot some good deer, but nothing close to that one.... maybe one day.

Comment

Working...
                  X