2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clyde_G View Post
    I'd like to know the same thing. I sent the TPWD Public Hunt Division a facebook message this morning asking about this. The reply was "Drawings are held the following business day after the application deadline." I followed up with saying that I still have applications that closed on 8/15 with a status of "Application Received." The reply was "You can contact the Public Hunting Program at (512)389-4505." I haven't been able to get through at that number.
    They probably disconnected it after all the angry calls

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      My problem is not so much with it being digital but rather the odds went into the crapper with the ease of application and no limits on how many times you can apply.
      A lot of folks here started applying "in the new system" and got drawn, so they think it's great.
      But, in the old system, where you had to put your ONE egg into ONE basket, the odds of getting drawn were sooooooooooooo much better, unless you put in for the high end places like the Chap.
      I haven't drawn a hunt in the new system yet, whereas I drew a hunt every 2 or 3 years in the old.

Comment

My problem is not so much with it being digital but rather the odds went into the crapper with the ease of application and no limits on how many times you can apply.
        I can understand your thinking as it pertains to a single hunt app but Ifor one like the ability to now apply to several hunts in a category instead of putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
          A lot of folks here started applying "in the new system" and got drawn, so they think it's great.

But, in the old system, where you had to put your ONE egg into ONE basket, the odds of getting drawn were sooooooooooooo much better, unless you put in for the high end places like the Chap.

I haven't drawn a hunt in the new system yet, whereas I drew a hunt every 2 or 3 years in the old.

Last year was my first year applying and I drew a rifle hunt, this year I got drawn for the same spot again. Shortly after that it was withdrawn, but hey that’s 2/2 [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            I can understand your thinking as it pertains to a single hunt app but Ifor one like the ability to now apply to several hunts in a category instead of putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak.
            Why would you like that, your odds are exponentially worse now Back with the old system you were almost guaranteed to draw once every 3 years like Hagerman is now. When Hagerman goes to the state draw system next year you will be lucky to draw once every 10 years. I never went more than 3 years not drawing a TPWD archery hunt in the old system, and commonly I would draw one every other year.
            Last edited by bossbowman; 08-17-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              We were on the same wave length with "eggs in basket"analogy

Comment

2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Originally posted by Clyde_G View Post
                I'd like to know the same thing. I sent the TPWD Public Hunt Division a facebook message this morning asking about this. The reply was "Drawings are held the following business day after the application deadline." I followed up with saying that I still have applications that closed on 8/15 with a status of "Application Received." The reply was "You can contact the Public Hunting Program at (512)389-4505." I haven't been able to get through at that number.

Mine say App Recieved as well but all our preference points went up by one so I’m taking that as a strike out on all of them...

Comment

Why would you like that, your odds are exponentially worse now Back with the old system you were almost guarnateed to draw once every 3 years like Hagerman is now. When Hagerman goes to the state draw system next year you will be lucky to draw once every 10 years. I never went more than 3 years not drawing a TPWD archery hunt in the old system, and commonly I would draw one every other year.
                  That didn't guarantee anything under the old system. We got drawn for chap the first yr we put in and ended up going 4 of the first 6 yrs we put in. I know alot of people that had been putting in for 10+ yrs that had never drawn anything especially at the chap. I have been putting in for draws since about 2006, in those 12 yrs I have drawn a hunt 6 times. 4 of those hunts were with the old system. in the last 3 yrs with the new system I have drawn something 2 times with several draws left to come this yr. All of my hunts have been on low odds high hunter app hunts. So far the new system hasn't effected my success percentage at all.
                  There were several TBH guys the last few yrs that have drawn multiple hunts in a season. I doubt they think the system is flawed. I still know alot of guys that put in for the same hunts I do that have yet to get drawn and have 10+ PP but no hunts drawn. For them old system versus new system doesn't matter either. Its all 100% luck.

Now I do believe they should make the preference points weigh higher even tho I have been drawn with little to no PP on most of my draws.

You see it as a failure but I have noticed no difference in success and by all accounts my success % has gone up, it may change as time goes on.
                  I hope your luck changes this yr, there is still plenty of hunts left to draw.

Comment

Just curious how much $$$ do you dump on these hunt applications every year???, I bet its alot if your drawing that often...

Its not 100% luck, 100% luck is no preference points like New Mexico does. Fewer hunts + more hunters applying + unlimited applications, you can't deny the odds are worse than they used to be, that is a fact.
                    Last edited by bossbowman; 08-17-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

An example of how lousy the system is let’s say for example you have 800 people putting in for a given mule deer hunt back in the old days. now with the new system you can put in for every mule deer hunt so that never jumps up to say 3000 applicants let’s say for the same 10 to 15 permits. If back in the old system everyone averaged five points then that would be 4000 names in the hat for those 10 to 15 permits. Now under the new system let’s say everyone average is five points but you have 3000 people applying now because of no limit on apps, there is 15,000 names in the hat for them same 10 to 15 permits. You have better odds of drawing the most coveted big game tag in the western United States whatever that might be, than drawing a public mule deer hunt in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephenc View Post
                        I drew …. any one else draw that one or have any experience there?
                        Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                        Yes, drew Nannie last year. 5 days, saw nothing. Not a single
                        deer was brought in. Great staff, cool place. Tough hunting. Lots of hogs.
                        Ok. So how is the success rate measured? Last year "Nannie Stingfellow Archery Deer" shows a 38% success rate. What am I missing?
                        Do acorns count?

Last edited by ABWGTX; 08-17-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Those success rates are skewed. If you look at the detailed statistic spreadsheets that success rate included the hunters that shot hogs (non-targeted game) for that hunt.

Comment

From my understanding if it has say hogs listed on a deer hunt and someone kills a hog it goes toward successful percentages. I may be wrong but a park guy told me that is why they list anything that could be remotely present on the property that they want killed.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                              Those success rates are skewed. If you look at the detailed statistic spreadsheets that success rate included the hunters that shot hogs (non-targeted game) for that hunt.
                              How does one gain access to said details? Don’t recall ever seeing this for any of the tpwd hunts. Found them for some other spot though.

Comment

If you go to the Draw Hunts home page and scroll down there is a link to the "Previous Years Statistics"

Comment

Working...
                                X