Replacing outlet with GFCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this'll help you get the answer you seek:

"As noted above, GFCI protection has been required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles in the bathroom area of a dwelling unit for more than 20 yr.

GFCI protection devices are also required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles located in garages and grade-level portions of unfinished or finished accessory buildings used for storage or work areas of a dwelling unit [210.8(A)(2)]. However, there are a couple of exceptions to this rule. GFCI protection is not required for receptacles that are not readily accessible, such as a ceiling-mounted receptacle for a garage door opener. Nor are they required for a receptacle on a dedicated branch circuit located and identified for a cord-and-plug-connected appliance, such as a refrigerator or freezer.

Per 210.8(A)(6), GFCI protection is required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles that serve kitchen countertop surfaces in a dwelling unit (Fig. 1 on page 54). GFCI protection is not required for receptacles serving appliances like dishwashers, or convenience receptacles that do not supply countertop surfaces. Receptacles installed within 6 ft of the outside edge of a wet bar sink must also be GFCI-protected [210.8(A)(7)]. However, GFCI protection is not required for receptacles not intended to serve wet bar countertop surfaces, such as refrigerators, ice makers, water heaters, or convenience receptacles that do not supply counter-top surfaces."

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      I live in the country, and behind my gate the code is what I say it is

A lot of families have died in house-fires because of this train of thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
        Here's the answer-- google "Where is GFCI required?" and you will find per the fire code one is not required for your garage outlet. They are required in outlets servicing counters around sinks in kitchens and baths, etc.

Some local codes may be more restrictive however.

Very wrong

Needs to be a dedicated circuit too. At least in my world it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          Maybe this'll help you get the answer you seek:

"As noted above, GFCI protection has been required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles in the bathroom area of a dwelling unit for more than 20 yr.

GFCI protection devices are also required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles located in garages and grade-level portions of unfinished or finished accessory buildings used for storage or work areas of a dwelling unit [210.8(A)(2)]. However, there are a couple of exceptions to this rule. GFCI protection is not required for receptacles that are not readily accessible, such as a ceiling-mounted receptacle for a garage door opener. Nor are they required for a receptacle on a dedicated branch circuit located and identified for a cord-and-plug-connected appliance, such as a refrigerator or freezer.

Per 210.8(A)(6), GFCI protection is required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles that serve kitchen countertop surfaces in a dwelling unit (Fig. 1 on page 54). GFCI protection is not required for receptacles serving appliances like dishwashers, or convenience receptacles that do not supply countertop surfaces. Receptacles installed within 6 ft of the outside edge of a wet bar sink must also be GFCI-protected [210.8(A)(7)]. However, GFCI protection is not required for receptacles not intended to serve wet bar countertop surfaces, such as refrigerators, ice makers, water heaters, or convenience receptacles that do not supply counter-top surfaces."
          Hmm, thats interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
            Here's the answer-- google "Where is GFCI required?" and you will find per the fire code one is not required for your garage outlet. They are required in outlets servicing counters around sinks in kitchens and baths, etc.

Some local codes may be more restrictive however.

Well, I went back and could not find the source of my incorrect info above. The NEC does say otherwise---and there are specific requirements for a cord and plug appliance in the garage. Lesson learned for me--look closely!

Comment

Working...
            X