Closed Thread
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

Default Urban Meyer

I am sure that there are folks out there who know more about this situation than I do but appears that they may have caught him telling a lie...
I am sure that most of the Ohio State fans will want to turn a blind eye and move on. I am not sure that the media will be so ready to let it die...
I am predicting that he will be the next Texas Tech head coach...
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
monsterspike
Eight Point

might as well fire him for lying. who does he think he is? the president, or congressmen, something?
monsterspike is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

There is a lot to this story. The main problem I see is he kept him on his staff for 3 years after the original report of the guy beating his wife. I guess wins/losses mean more than a persons life to some people. In my opinion it shines a bad light on Meyer’s character on what he is willing to turn a blind eye to. Plus why lie about it from the get go and then 3 days later fess up that you did know about it then.
aggie2000tx is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
There is a lot to this story. The main problem I see is he kept him on his staff for 3 years after the original report of the guy beating his wife. I guess wins/losses mean more than a persons life to some people. In my opinion it shines a bad light on Meyer’s character on what he is willing to turn a blind eye to. Plus why lie about it from the get go and then 3 days later fess up that you did know about it then.
My problem as well. But Meyer never had cared about moral issues he cares about wins and losses.
BrandonA is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

I'm usually on the other side of the fence, but this just feels like a total witch hunt to me
Deers & Beers is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
webb09
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Rumor has it he was looking at houses in Westlake Hills.
webb09 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Yes, I think he lied, no I don’t think Ohio State fires him.

And I don’t think Tech has the cache, nor cash to hire him if he gets fired
Playa is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Dup post, not sure why
Playa is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

He can come to LSU once he’s learned his lesson ����
drop dead fred is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
jer_james
Ten Point

I think he lied to the media - I dont necessarily care about that.

I think Smith should have been fired back in 2015.

I think Meyer should be suspended a few games, but not fired.

The Ohio State University is pretty much life for me and Family.
jer_james is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
BeerMe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb09 View Post
Rumor has it he was looking at houses in Westlake Hills.
Lol, that would create a media meltdown here in Austin!
BeerMe is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Meyers statement hurt him. In today's world ignoring physical abuse against women and children isn't tolerated. Personally I would fire him and move on. Meyer is a great coach but ******bag of a human being. He hasn't changed from his days in Florida.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
buckfan50
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County
Default Meyer

I'm a Buckeye and still have a sister living in Columbus. This is what she is telling me. Ohio State will wrap up it's investigation in two weeks. It's looking better for Meyer now because it appears that he did report up what he knew to the athletic director so he followed what he was supposed to do. He got into trouble because he reported to the press that he had no knowledge. "which I don't blame him" Looks like the AD may be in more trouble than Meyer. She is also saying that it looks like the police department covered it up and it's a mess. What ever happens Ohio States image is going to be pretty tarnished. She thinks that there was just a huge rush to judgment by the press. They just love it when someone as powerful as Meyer does something wrong. I personally don't agree with anything that has happened there so don't shoot the messenger. Jim
buckfan50 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Colorado

Since when did we stop allowing the Police Department to handle these issues? If it happened the police should have been called, charges pressed and end of story. Why are the two wives talking about it instead of the victim and the detective? Did the wife keep quiet because of the money he was making and now things went so far south that she brings it up? Wrong is wrong and a man should never lay his hands on a woman but let’s handle it upfront and all these Universities won’t have to try to save face! It’s called 911!!!!!
parkchief100 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #15
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

One 2015 text exchange between Courtney and Shelley Meyer shows the extent of Shelley’s knowledge of the alleged domestic abuse and that she was concerned for Courtney’s safety.

Shelley: “I am with you! A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don’t blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me”

Courtney: “Restraining orders don’t do anything in Ohio-I tried to get protection order which is what started this whole investigation. And that should go through soon finally. It’s hard bc you have to prove immediate danger. Legal system is tough. Basically you have to prove he will kill u to get protective order”

Shelley: “Geesh! Even w the pics? Didn’t law enforcement come to your place ever??”

Urbans wife knew about it in 2015. And was scared of him. (A member of her husbands staff)

I think both Urban and the women beater are lowlifes. Urban should have absolutely done more than just sit by and lie to the media about the abuse. Aside from wining footballs games Urban has very little positive qualities going back to when he was at Florida.
batmaninja is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
Gladesgator
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk County, FL and AR

Urban Liar should be fired for enabling domestic violence by one of his assistant coaches for almost 10 years. This first incident was in 2009, the abuser is the grandson of Meyer's mentor, Earl Bruce.

OSU has already started continuing the cover up by putting in the decision in the hands of a select committee of OSU folks, I am sure that committee won't be biased at all.
This right after their unmitigated disgusting disaster with the Doctor.

Everyone, is worried about poor Urban, who is worried about the victim.

Meyer lied about knowing about the 2015 incident, his wife know about it, all the other assistant coaches and wives know about it but the head coach didn't know about it. Same, head coach that is a total control freak about every aspect of the program.

He is a prime example of everything that is wrong with CFB, win at all costs, no matter the cost to innocent women. I hope OSU does the right thing and fires him but don't think they will, if the don't I hope they lose every game they every play. Just like Baylor, MSU and PSU.
Gladesgator is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Urban's wife is going to take the fall for all of it so Urbs can keep his job… Pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #18
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Urban's wife is going to take the fall for all of it so Urbs can keep his job… Pathetic.

I don't see how she takes the Fall when they both know. The AD may go down with Urban. The biggest question is why didn't they fire him
Old 08-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #19
Dudley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker & Uvalde counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfan50 View Post
It's looking better for Meyer now because it appears that he did report up what he knew to the athletic director so he followed what he was supposed to do. He got into trouble because he reported to the press that he had no knowledge.
It looks like this is being overlooked by many. He followed protocol and reported it to AD. His problems come from then lying about it to the press.
Dudley is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Well there are 23,000 plus Ohio State fans that have signed a petition to keep Meyer already. So I guess they are fine with him lying as long as they have good football
aggie2000tx is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #21
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I don't see how she takes the Fall when they both know. The AD may go down with Urban. The biggest question is why didn't they fire him

Because she is not the head football coach at Ohio State University… And he is.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #22
jer_james
Ten Point

His statement explained that he followed protocol.

I believe Smith should have been fired, but IF Meyer's statement is correct, which the investigation will prove, then I don't believe he should be fired.
jer_james is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #23
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

She’s an OSU employee also. If the gal told her she was being abused and mrs Meyer didn’t report it to the title9 office then she needs firing for failure to do so which as an employee she’s obligated.

Urban Meyer knew of the allegation in ‘15, the coach came to him and offered it to him that he was voluntarily going to the police station to discuss the allegations. From what I’ve read Meyer notified the AD about the conversation. I don’t know if the guy was arrested in ‘15 or not, but I’m guessing not as he kept his job with the AD knowing about the conversation between he and Meyer. Had he been arrested he’d have been terminated I feel.

Whether the Police failed to do what’s right or not is another story.

I think Meyer will coach this year (and I don’t like him) as evidence has surfaced he did tell his AD what he knew. He shouldn’t be fired for lying to the Media. His attorney may have told him not to say anything for that matter
drbonner is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #24
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post

I believe Smith should have been fired, but IF Meyer's statement is correct, which the investigation will prove, then I don't believe he should be fired.
I heard that some of the prior incidents had police reports filed. Not sure if that's true or not. If so, along with possibly following protocol, Meyer may not get the boot.

The guy is a POS for retaining this coach on his staff. However, it doesn't sound like he was involved in some type of massive cover-up either.
CaptainDave is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #25
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:

But he also crawfished about knowing anything about it.
JeffJ is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #26
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonner View Post
She’s an OSU employee also. If the gal told her she was being abused and mrs Meyer didn’t report it to the title9 office then she needs firing for failure to do so which as an employee she’s obligated.
Does Title IX cover non students? As I read about Title IX, I only see it pertaining to students.

Still a POS though on all accounts, I'm just not sure Title IX will hang Urban Meyer.
JeffJ is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #27
Passthrough
Pope & Young

tOSU fans will look past it.....the rest of the world sees that he should be fired.
Passthrough is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #28
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Was the coach arrested that did the assault? Guess I am just confused as to why anyone would think that a head coach/boss would go on the NEWS and spill personal information that he may have been unclear about. But now he is in trouble because he "lied" about knowledge of it. I mean why is it a head coach or boss is responsible for making decisions based on personal home matters of his employees when he has no time to "investigate" those issues for himself. Let the cops/law handle criminal matters and based on there verdict head coach/boss makes there ruling as well. Let the coaches coach there sport and do there job, which at that level is to win. With that said I completely agree. If the guy was arrested and charged and then nothing was done or said about the matter and "swept" under the rug then YES I agree, someone should be held responsible for not dealing with it.

Oh and for the record I am in no way a Ohio State fan. I don't really have a team I cheer for. I just watch em all and enjoy the game.
elliscountyhog is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #29
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

I still have some issues with someone being fired over what some else says they did. To me, if charged, suspend him, if found guilty, fire him.
BrianL is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #30
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

Of course you don't…

They've had plenty of time now to create whatever evidence they need… The A.D., and probably Mrs. Meyer will take the fall, and urban will keep coaching…

Old 08-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #31
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

New rumor from a longhorn fan...Urban fired, Hermann to Ohio State and Saban to Austin.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #32
Phdan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK

Quote:
My problem as well. But Meyer never had cared about moral issues he cares about wins and losses.

Funny, seems a lot of Tech fans are the same way
Phdan is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #33
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

I'm confused about the whole thing...

What is he guilty of...
TENRMORE is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #34
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post

What is he guilty of...
That's where I'm at. I don't condone domestic violence, but he didn't do anything wrong. You can't fire a guy for "allegations". Meyer reported it to his boss, so not sure what he did wrong. Lying to the media isn't a crime.
panhandlehunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #35
monsterspike
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post

What is he guilty of...
he did not accuse a friend publicly of being guilty of a swirling unproven rumor. he was supposed to save a woman that was unwilling to press charges.

the courts and cops were powerless but a football coach should be held to a higher standard.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #36
BeerMe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

I don’t think he gets fired on a technical issue. I think he’s outed because keeping around a coach that reportedly beat his wife is toxic.
BeerMe is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #37
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
I don’t think he gets fired on a technical issue. I think he’s outed because keeping around a coach that reportedly beat his wife is toxic.
Agree 100%
Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #38
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post

No one at Ohio State cares about that… Can he win them football games? That's all that will matter to them.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #39
monsterspike
Eight Point

if meyer fired the guy, and the guy was found not guilty, or was never even charged, how much would meyer and osu have to settle for, out of court??

the girl didnt want to cost the assistant his job, and in the process brings down the entire program?! its bananas.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #40
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I have a feeling he's going to wiggle out of this.
oktx is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #41
longhorn_cop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx panhandle, Mex.

Any major college coach can and frequently does hire and fire any coach on his staff for whatever reason.
Happens almost daily.
Hes pulling the ol joe pa excuse that he sent it upstairs and that was that.
No sir, this is not some first line supervisor sending up a minor complaint up the chain of command.
The assistant coach even said meyer told him “if I find out your lying youre fired!” Thats the same interview where the assistant coach went OJ and blamed everything on the victim she was hurt due to defensive measures and cut her finger on his dip can. Even said she abused him.
Meyer knew. Kept him anyway and later lied about it.
He got caught plain and simple.
No if OSU fires him over it is another question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
longhorn_cop is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #42
BrandonA
Pope & Young

If you caught Mark Packer show this afternoon, a compliance officer for a Div. I school called in. He stated when it comes to sexual and physical abuse if you are associated with a school then have to report it regardless of conviction or not. So that begs to question what about the other coaches? Did they report ? I think there was a coverup and agree with above police were in on it. Heaven forbid disrupt the almighty Buckeyes football.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #43
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
If you caught Mark Packer show this afternoon, a compliance officer for a Div. I school called in. He stated when it comes to sexual and physical abuse if you are associated with a school then have to report it regardless of conviction or not. So that begs to question what about the other coaches? Did they report ? I think there was a coverup and agree with above police were in on it. Heaven forbid disrupt the almighty Buckeyes football.
Does this trickle down to Herman. He worked very closely with Zack Smith.
oktx is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #44
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Does this trickle down to Herman. He worked very closely with Zack Smith.
That's a good question. Did he know and did he report it to the higher ups? Would the be Meyer or AD? Don't have a clue. But should get interesting
Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #45
Jefecinco
Six Point

Hunt In: Bell and Throckmorton County TX and NM

Quote:
That's a good question. Did he know and did he report it to the higher ups? Would the be Meyer or AD? Don't have a clue. But should get interesting
Herman left for UH in December 14. So if this latest incidence in question was 2015 he should be clear. But who knows in these deals.

My problem is this. Guys Wife may be legit or crazy, but Urban is the highest paid State employee of Ohio. Buck stops with him. And he kept this guy around long after 2015. He was lucky the face of the Florida franchise was Tebow, cause there were so many arrests and issues there too.

One of the two best college coaches. But at what cost. Fans don’t care. Hell how many Penn State fans supported Jo Pa.
Jefecinco is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #46
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefecinco View Post
Herman left for UH in December 14. So if this latest incidence in question was 2015 he should be clear. But who knows in these deals.

My problem is this. Guys Wife may be legit or crazy, but Urban is the highest paid State employee of Ohio. Buck stops with him. And he kept this guy around long after 2015. He was lucky the face of the Florida franchise was Tebow, cause there were so many arrests and issues there too.

One of the two best college coaches. But at what cost. Fans don’t care. Hell how many Penn State fans supported Jo Pa.
Yep why keep him . I don't care if he followed protocol. I would fire his *** for keeping him. I don't think Ohio St can keep him. His checkered past doesn't help any. I guess as far as Herman goes how long did they know of abuse. I'm sure asst coach didn't just decide one day in 2015 , after 6 yrs of being nice looked in the mirror and said " well today I think I'm just gonna beat the hell out of my wife"

Last edited by BrandonA; 08-06-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #47
skinsfan
Four Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

Was the guy ever convicted of a crime?
skinsfan is offline   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #48
Jefecinco
Six Point

Hunt In: Bell and Throckmorton County TX and NM

Quote:
Yep why keep him . I don't care if he followed protocol. I would fire his *** for keeping him. I don't think Ohio St can keep him. His checkered past doesn't help any. I guess as far as Herman goes how long did they know of abuse. I'm sure asst coach didn't just decide one day in 2015 , after 6 yrs of being nice looked in the mirror and said " well today I think I'm just gonna beat the hell out of my wife"
True. Dude had history. But the big things were in 2015. Maybe Herman knew. Maybe everyone knew. But the fact is this was Urbans boy. Grandson of Earl Bruce, Urbans mentor. Look at the resumes of everyone on staff at Ohio State. All were either head coaches or coordinators or high level guys before coming there. Except this guy. Maybe Urban saw something in him, or maybe it was the grandson deal. Hard to be a whistle blower on the most powerful man in the state or his guy. How many knew about Sandusky. Not trying to compare what they did.
Jefecinco is online now   Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #49
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefecinco View Post
True. Dude had history. But the big things were in 2015. Maybe Herman knew. Maybe everyone knew. But the fact is this was Urbans boy. Grandson of Earl Bruce, Urbans mentor. Look at the resumes of everyone on staff at Ohio State. All were either head coaches or coordinators or high level guys before coming there. Except this guy. Maybe Urban saw something in him, or maybe it was the grandson deal. Hard to be a whistle blower on the most powerful man in the state or his guy. How many knew about Sandusky. Not trying to compare what they did.
According to what I heard if you were an employee you had to report it. Now maybe he was to report to Meyer. I don't know. But either way if the rest or some of the coaches knew they were required to report regardless of how big the man is.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #50
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

This is silly...
12RingKing is offline   Back To The Top
Closed Thread