Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #5101
txpanhandle32
Eight Point

Hunt In: allison NE tx panhandle

have any of y'all ever hunter UNIT 51 in NM? second bow season
txpanhandle32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #5102
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Just an FYI for anybody looking at pack brands. I bought a kuiu pack probably 5 years ago, well a few weeks ago the straps messed up, called on the 30th and have already gotten the replacement straps. They covered return shipping and everything. Great customer service!
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #5103
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX
Default The Elk Thread

Iím very happy with my Kuiu pack and an investment in gear. For what itís worth, I walked through star thistle and some other prickly stuff in their lightweight Alpine pants and did not get pricked.

I went to the range today and got the sight adjusted out to 50 yards for 525 grain CT Rhinos with 145 grain Muzzys. Iím thinking to hunt with the heavier arrow instead of my 400 grain Cheetahs. I have done 150 grain Magnus Buzzcuts ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #5104
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Guys, I put a fresh CR2 battery in my range finder yesterday. When putting it in I thought ďI need to post a reminder on TBHĒ.

Thereís fires today in all 3 areas Iím planning to hunt MT with my son.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #5105
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
Guys, I put a fresh CR2 battery in my range finder yesterday. When putting it in I thought ďI need to post a reminder on TBHĒ.

Thereís fires today in all 3 areas Iím planning to hunt MT with my son.

Good reminder Bill. My 1st area in Idaho is on fire too. On to plan B area. 28 days
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #5106
Redraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
I hunted it first rifle about 5 yrs ago. I hunted the south part without any luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #5107
txpanhandle32
Eight Point

Default The Elk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider View Post
I hunted it first rifle about 5 yrs ago. I hunted the south part without any luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

10-4 im hunting the north end, thanks!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #5108
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Just an FYI for anybody looking at pack brands. I bought a kuiu pack probably 5 years ago, well a few weeks ago the straps messed up, called on the 30th and have already gotten the replacement straps. They covered return shipping and everything. Great customer service!
Kuiu packs are the best I've seen in that price range, they don't handle super heavy loads that well but if you want to be (relatively) comfortable at 60+ lb you'll have to spend twice the cash for something like a Kifaru/MR/SG so for the price Kuiu can't be beat.

I will second their customer service, they accidentally shipped me 2 left gaiters (their gaiters are amazing!) and when i called them they shipped out replacements right away with a label to ship the wrongs ones back to me, no questions asked
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #5109
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Default The Elk Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Kuiu packs are the best I've seen in that price range, they don't handle super heavy loads that well but if you want to be (relatively) comfortable at 60+ lb you'll have to spend twice the cash for something like a Kifaru/MR/SG so for the price Kuiu can't be beat.

I will second their customer service, they accidentally shipped me 2 left gaiters (their gaiters are amazing!) and when i called them they shipped out replacements right away with a label to ship the wrongs ones back to me, no questions asked

Ok so Iím a fan of Kuiu. I use their clothing extensively (almost exclusively) for my hunting needs. But their frames arenít in the same ballpark as Kifaru or Stone Glacier (or Exo....never used Mystery Ranch). And the cost difference isnít double.

Kuiu makes an ok pack for medium to light loads. Their bags are awesome. Frame is just so so.

An Icon Pro frame and suspension is going to run you $300 plus shipping. I can get the new Stone Glacier Krux Evo brand new for less than that. And none of the better frames are going to cost you more than $375 or so.

Last edited by RdRdrFan; 08-13-2018 at 09:35 AM.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #5110
quackadikt
Eight Point

Default The Elk Thread

Quote:

I had an Icon Pro 3200 and youíre pretty spot on. The bag is an awesome bag. Iíve had a half dozen different packs, and itís been my favorite bag. The frame is fine to about 50-60lbs. That said, MR blows them out of the water in my opinion. Even the Pop Up frame carries weight better for me than the Kuiu frame. Iím not trying to say the Kuiu isnít perfectly serviceable, because it is. But for about the same price, I think youíd be crazy to not at least try a MR or SG.

quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #5111
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Just a note: I have given up on trying to make a cow elk sound with a mouth call. I sound like a kitten or a gobbler or an old screen door. Not an elk.

Primos Hoochie Mamma....here I come.

Carry on with your thread.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #5112
wytex
Six Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Just a note: I have given up on trying to make a cow elk sound with a mouth call. I sound like a kitten or a gobbler or an old screen door. Not an elk.

Please don't. Get yourself a Sceery Ace-1 elk call or a primos , etc.. The bite and blow calls work great. Carry at least 2 or 3.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #5113
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell
Default The Elk Thread

Chew, try an external mouth call such as the Phelps EZ Estrous.

Last edited by Patton; 08-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #5114
ELKAHOLIC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever ELK live. Kansas and Fisher co.

Quote:

Have you tried several different reeds? Some reeds don't work for me. I also trim about 1/8" off the sides to get a better seal. The dark blue one from primos works the best for me. I can make all sounds good with it and a few more. Some I can bugle good with, but not cow call, some I can cow call, but don't get a good bugle, some work good for chuckles some not. Try several, I have probably 15 different ones but only use a few.

Make sure you are getting a good seal, get them wet and chew on the edges. no pun intended.

I like open reed and bite calls too, but if they get too wet they will screw up. I always carry a few of those too.

Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 08-13-2018 at 11:29 AM.
ELKAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #5115
quackadikt
Eight Point

Chew, keep your teeth closed...it makes a world of difference.

But this is one of the best, easeist, cheapest cow calls I've used.
https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...7767/cat100398

And if you haven't already, watch Rockey Jacobson's videos on YouTube.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #5116
Chew
Pope & Young

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it. Will be buying something a little easier. Good suggestions above.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #5117
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
Hunted it as far back as when it had single season.
Attached Images

old killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #5118
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:

https://phelpsgamecalls.com/product-...mp-diaphragms/

Chew, these are the easiest to use diaphragms I have found...by far. I've tried most of them but like the pink one the best.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #5119
Chew
Pope & Young

I've tried a phelps and a primos diaphragm call. I'm calling challenged.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #5120
NoFence
Eight Point

Quote:
Practice just holding pressure on it. Like as if you're trying to blow air out but hold a seal against it with your tongue so there's no air whatsoever going across the reed, you'll feel it in your diaphragm. That's the same feel you should have when you're calling. Just barely take off any pressure to make that high note.
NoFence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #5121
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
You picked up a left over muzzleloader elk tag? What unit? PM if you prefer. There weren't a ton of options and you might be in the same unit I am going first rifle.
PM Sent
BuckSmasher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #5122
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
Ok so Iím a fan of Kuiu. I use their clothing extensively (almost exclusively) for my hunting needs. But their frames arenít in the same ballpark as Kifaru or Stone Glacier (or Exo....never used Mystery Ranch). And the cost difference isnít double.

Kuiu makes an ok pack for medium to light loads. Their bags are awesome. Frame is just so so.

An Icon Pro frame and suspension is going to run you $300 plus shipping. I can get the new Stone Glacier Krux Evo brand new for less than that. And none of the better frames are going to cost you more than $375 or so.

I was referring to full packs, Kuiu full packs run in the $3-500 range, my full Mountain Warrior and frame was around $800 so yeah, not exact numbers but pretty close.

I had an old Kuiu Ultra (forgot what size, somewhere around 3000) and it was OK but my Kifaru blew it out of the water.

So for full packs it's hard to beat a Kuiu if that's your budget limit, but like we both agree, the other high end guys blow them out of the water.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #5123
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post

Icon Pro frame is $211 in Outlet, 2016 model. They give you new clips to attach to a 2018 Icon Pro 3200 bag sold for $160. Thatís what I bought. Iím never going to try to carry over 70# since Iíll destroy my 60+ year old back. The thing with Kuiu is to get on their email list and watch for sales.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #5124
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Came in at work today- 150s for a 525 grain elk arrow.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #5125
txpanhandle32
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by old killer View Post
Hunted it as far back as when it had single season.
going to send you a PM
Old 08-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #5126
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
I was referring to full packs, Kuiu full packs run in the $3-500 range, my full Mountain Warrior and frame was around $800 so yeah, not exact numbers but pretty close.

I had an old Kuiu Ultra (forgot what size, somewhere around 3000) and it was OK but my Kifaru blew it out of the water.

So for full packs it's hard to beat a Kuiu if that's your budget limit, but like we both agree, the other high end guys blow them out of the water.

Use the Kuiu bag and the pack cost is virtually the same. With Kuiu, the bag isnít the weak link.

Quote:
Icon Pro frame is $211 in Outlet, 2016 model. They give you new clips to attach to a 2018 Icon Pro 3200 bag sold for $160. Thatís what I bought. Iím never going to try to carry over 70# since Iíll destroy my 60+ year old back. The thing with Kuiu is to get on their email list and watch for sales.

Meh, discount pricing is available on discontinued models of all pack brands. The point is that there are better packs for virtually the same price.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #5127
Neano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trickham and Granger Lake

I’m sure it’s been mentioned on here before, but keep an eye on the Rokslide classifieds. Kifaru bikini frame on there right now for $275. Just gotta find a bag and you are in a Kifaru set up for $475 or less depending on which bag. I was skeptical before, but I picked up a bikini frame and AMR bag on there for just over $400. Been practicing for my upcoming elk trip and have been very impressed. doing 75lb loads for 5-8 miles with no problem.
Neano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #5128
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:

Comparing an ultra to Kifaru duplex is like comparing a tundra to an f250 PSD. Made for different things.

I’m not a carbon fiber frame fan(in any capacity, frame, stays, bow riser, etc) but that’s not a fair comparison.

I’ve used EXO, Duplex, Krux and pro. If properly fitted at 75lbs from a comfort standpoint, I’d rank duplex, Exo, Krux then pro, with that said under 75lbs it is a very very even field, and none are unbearable like an elberstock is. I think Kuiu makes best bags and exo second, Orginal Exo’s where a steal for price. I’d like to use the then new kifaru light frame to test. My only complaint was the duplex was to stiff with out a a large load, exo SG and even Pro where much more comfortable

Last edited by Texans42; 08-13-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #5129
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:

You can get MR for pretty close to that if you watch for sales. I got a Selway for 375 shipped from Black Ovis last week and they have been closing out multicam at Moutain Archery for a month.

https://www.mountain-archery.com/clo...ing-packs.aspx
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #5130
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Chew, try the Primos open reed Timberline. It's easy to learn and you can make some very accurate calls .
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #5131
MooseontheLoose
Ten Point

Getting closer....few more weeks and I'll be up and after these guys again. Colorado high country public land OTC.

MooseontheLoose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #5132
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
Getting closer....few more weeks and I'll be up and after these guys again. Colorado high country public land OTC.

Getting close!

I have meetings in Denver on Thursday and will spend this weekend up in the mountains on another test hike. I borrowed a Vortex spotter to pair with the Rx100. I'll test it out this weekend.

I put together and packaged some meals yesterday using my dehydrated ingredients (some combined with off-the-shelf items)

I made seafood chowder, Shepherds Pie, spaghetti w/meat sauce, venison stroganoff, chili, chili mac and cheese and burritos (to add to tortillas). I'll test a couple more of the meals this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #5133
simek
Ten Point

Michael, you wanna prepare my meals? Looking good, amigo.
simek is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #5134
Texans42
Ten Point

I feel extremely lazy now...

I walk by my dehydrated ever day.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #5135
ELKAHOLIC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever ELK live. Kansas and Fisher co.

That's awesome Michael!
Could be a new side business!
ELKAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #5136
Gclyde28
Eight Point

Colorado Unit 61 is burning, 25k acres so far and only 19% containment. Has a decent stretch of Divide Road closed down.
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #5137
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
That's awesome Michael!
Could be a new side business!

LOL! Heck NO!

I will gladly cook for my hunting partners or anybody that invites me to hunt with them, however!

Video uploaded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #5138
wytex
Six Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Getting close!

I have meetings in Denver on Thursday and will spend this weekend up in the mountains on another test hike. I borrowed a Vortex spotter to pair with the Rx100. I'll test it out this weekend.

I put together and packaged some meals yesterday using my dehydrated ingredients (some combined with off-the-shelf items)

I made seafood chowder, Shepherds Pie, spaghetti w/meat sauce, venison stroganoff, chili, chili mac and cheese and burritos (to add to tortillas). I'll test a couple more of the meals this weekend.

Watch that weather Friday, monsoons are coming back and lightning could be an issue for you.
Great looking meals, carbs are your friend at altitude. You'll be burning mucho calories.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #5139
cram369
Four Point

You're ahead of me. Just got the last of my clothes and still waiting for my tent. Did get my granola snack bar nailed down last weekend though

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
cram369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #5140
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:

Chew, Try the matriarch bite and blow call from Rocky Mountain calls. Super easy to use and sounds 100 times better than that Hootchie. For bugling try their Select a bull bugle tube. No diaphragm needed. I have always used a diaphragm call but a few years back I had some dental work that made me have to give them up. I switched to the calls above and haven't missed a beat. All the elk I have called in the last few years were using those.
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #5141
KingsX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Getting close!

I passed through Denver a couple of hours ago headed west to Utah. Man I70 over the mountains is a sight to see. Beautiful scenery.

KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #5142
DavidH44
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

After trying to decide between Colorado and Idaho for my first elk hunt, I finally took the dive and bought an elk A tag for the Island Park zone in Idaho. Success rates are around 20% for the unit I plan on hunting. I have a wall tent I can camp out of and lightweight stuff if I decide to stay in my hunting area. If anyone has any tips for this area, I'd appreciate it.
DavidH44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #5143
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH44 View Post
After trying to decide between Colorado and Idaho for my first elk hunt, I finally took the dive and bought an elk A tag for the Island Park zone in Idaho. Success rates are around 20% for the unit I plan on hunting. I have a wall tent I can camp out of and lightweight stuff if I decide to stay in my hunting area. If anyone has any tips for this area, I'd appreciate it.
Take a big gun, G. Bears come to calls faster than the Elk.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #5144
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Dont stress about Grizz and don’t over think sidearm size.

If you decide to carry spray, buy two, and pop the top on one when you get there so you are familiar, out side of that go have fun!!!

Last edited by Texans42; 08-17-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #5145
DavidH44
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Haha I bought some spray the other day, I'm hoping I'm far enough away from Yellowstone that I won't see any
DavidH44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #5146
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 34 New Mexico

Short 3 weeks from today will be in Weed Nm. Im getting pumped
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #5147
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Haha I bought some spray the other day, I'm hoping I'm far enough away from Yellowstone that I won't see any
I wouldnít stress, but be bear smart at camp. Also pretty sure you can buy two elk tags, also those elk tags also work for bear, wolf, and lion. But for sure buy a wolf tag. To cheap not too
Old 08-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #5148
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillophil View Post
Short 3 weeks from today will be in Weed Nm. Im getting pumped
I used to spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods. Enjoy your hunt!
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #5149
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Default The Elk Thread

Quote:

Iíll drive through Island Park en route to the Ennis area. Iím sure thereís griz there, but the Madison Range west of Yellowstone has lots of Ďem, as does the Gravelies.

Tips for first time elk hunter? Do not look at the antlers as youíre drawing your bow. 100% focus on your shooting spot. Aim small, miss small.

The size of their racks can mess up your concentration and shooting.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #5150
Drop Tine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

Will be in the Gila in three weeks. This is my second trip, and I gotta say the preparation is a big part of the fun. Hard to describe how cool it was to hear a screaming bull for the first time.
Drop Tine is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top