Pond Structure Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pond Structure Ideas

Within a week our main pond at the ranch will be about 40-50% bigger. During the remodel I lost a lot of my structure and will need to get some in there before it rains. Here is what I am planning?

I have 15 wooden pallets coming. Plan to build 4 sides and a lid and stack a 3-400lb rock on top. Ill have enough pallets to make 4 of those

I have four blue plastic barrels screwed side by side on some 2x12's. I stack large rocks on the 2x12's at each corner.

I have a 20' long tree that was in the bottom of the pond that has always held fish.

Several rock piles consisting of rocks from the size of a basketball to 5-700lb

I would like to build a flooded timber area with 10-12 posts of varying length and diameter.

Kind of feel like this is plenty but am I missing anything?

Jeff IMO you cant ever put to much. Its hard to beat just good old brush piles and sunken brush. One thing I recently did is plant six Bald Cypress, that when grown will be in about 1-2 ft of water when the lake is full. I plant to plant a few more.
    Last edited by BrandonA; 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Sand/gravel flat for spawning. We use the pallets but build triangles out of them with weight in the middle. You can run crankbaits over and around them. You can use irrigation pipe to make to make "bushes" We got it from a local nursery for free. Those work good from 2-5 feet. It gives the fry somewhere to hide.

Comment

Saw the PVC trees you can make. Easy to jig without getting hooks stuck to them easy so you can get really up in there for crappie and such

Comment

That sounds like a lot of weight to be stacked on top of a pallet, especially after it is submerged for a few years, just my first thought.

We got landscape timbers and built structures out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Jeff IMO you cant ever put to much. Its hard to beat just good old brush piles and sunken brush. One thing I recently did is plant six Bald Cypress, that when grown will be in about 1-2 ft of water when the lake is full. I plant to plant a few more.
            Ive got 4-5 good sized piles in the area that still has water. Thought about drilling a couple post holes and concreting in 6-8 pvc pipes of varying length come up and out of them.

Comment

Do the pallets in triangles and they'll stay up longer. and you won't need as big a rock. I'd drive Tposts in the corners and wire the pallets too them. Bend a cattle panel into a circle and wire the ends together, fill with rock. Contour the bottom with ditches and channels for fish to get from shallow to deep water and VV.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                Ive got 4-5 good sized piles in the area that still has water. Thought about drilling a couple post holes and concreting in 6-8 pvc pipes of varying length come up and out of them.
                Ive thought about doing the same thing just haven't gotten around to it.

Comment

Old tires tied together works good too

Comment

5 gal buckets or the 55 gal barrels with concrete in the bottom half and put a butt load of PEX pipe cut in varied lengths all sticking out of it to look like a "fountain" shape. That and PVC condos are the best and wont hang your lures....

Comment

Concrete precasters sometimes have broken pipe and drain boxes. I have used those and gotten them for the cost of picking them up and they work pretty good. As said before, PVC crappie condos and concrete buckets with PVC sticking out of them work well. Christmas trees in season can be conreted to a bucket and dropped anywhere. Sand and gravel bedding areas.

I know a guy that broadcast grass seed after excavation and it came up before it filled up. Water cleared much faster than his other pond. Same thing with ag lime.

Comment

I intend to have a big flat with a bunch of bull rock. I like your idea of putting some boulders in there as well. I also intend to leave an island somewhere in the pond for a good transition for the fish to hide out on as well as cut a creek or something in the middle if I can. I am also going to flood as much timber as I can. Beyond that a good spawning flat is hard to beat. Tires also work pretty well if you can get them to stay in place. Especially strategically placed along your spawning flat. The fish will use them to spawn in.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                          I intend to have a big flat with a bunch of bull rock. I like your idea of putting some boulders in there as well. I also intend to leave an island somewhere in the pond for a good transition for the fish to hide out on as well as cut a creek or something in the middle if I can. I am also going to flood as much timber as I can. Beyond that a good spawning flat is hard to beat. Tires also work pretty well if you can get them to stay in place. Especially strategically placed along your spawning flat. The fish will use them to spawn in.
                          Something I am going to make is a floating island and plant some vegetation on it.

Comment

I used 5 gallon buckets with different legth pvc pipes concreted in. It was cheap and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              Something I am going to make is a floating island and plant some vegetation on it.
                              How big of a pond are you working with. Im hoping mine will be 2 acres plus I hope.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X