Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scored an East Texas Lease!! Stand Selection/ Pine Plantation???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scored an East Texas Lease!! Stand Selection/ Pine Plantation???

I was fortunate enough to get a membership on a 2500 acre club that I have been trying to get on for many years now. The lease is 10 minutes from my house and is good East Texas hunting. The new management and reduction in number of members last year should only make it better in the years to come. The lease is large enough that each member gets their own area and still have 8-10 floating areas that people can sign into. Now I have to make a decision on what area I want to claim as my permanent stand for rifle hunting.

There are three stands that all have caught my eye. Two are secluded in younger pine plantations, one of which borders a big neighbor property that is almost a sanctuary. Aside from a youth hunt they do there is not much hunting done on the place.The third spot is telephone right of way running through mature hardwoods that was select cut last summer.

Do any of you guys have much experience hunting the thicker pine plantations? My only experience hunting the pines is mature thinned pines in NF. The spot looks great and I would think that deer would like to bed in the thick stuff, but I have no knowledge to know if this is a false assumption or even if the deer leave these areas when season comes and acorns start dropping.

Anyway I am stoked about this coming season! Thanks for any words of advice!

If it was me I would hunt the one next to the big neighbor just my two cents good luck

Comment

The hardwoods area is a no brainer.
      As long as you keep your shooting lanes trimmed in the pine plantations you will be fine.
      Hand corning the shooting lanes in the pine plantations works well. Strap a couple of redneck gravity feeders with the spouts about 40" off the ground on some pines in those plantations. I have great results doing it. Are hunting you near Diboll?

Comment

Im out 103 West of Lufkin

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
          Im out 103 West of Lufkin
          Not far from me. I am on 1818.

Comment

Hardwoods.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
              Not far from me. I am on 1818.
              I know some guys hunting out that way!

Comment

2.5 miles past 58 Junction.
                Renfro Hunting Club.

Comment

Hunt the oaks!!!!

I hunt a similar property. My primary stand overlooks a creek bottom with lots of White Oaks. Mid October through mid November when acorns are dropping I see lots of deer when those hunting the pine plantation see very few.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                    Hunt the oaks!!!!

I hunt a similar property. My primary stand overlooks a creek bottom with lots of White Oaks. Mid October through mid November when acorns are dropping I see lots of deer when those hunting the pine plantation see very few.
                    Why not hunt both? I do. And, I have a lot of success. Bucks will skirt those pine plantations waiting for the does to exit before and during the rut. Feed it properly to keep the does in it.

Comment

Telephone right of way hands down At the island???
                      Last edited by Huggybear; 02-24-2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        Why not hunt both? I do. And, I have a lot of success. Bucks will skirt those pine plantations waiting for the does to exit before and during the rut. Feed it properly to keep the does in it.
                        I can hunt the ones I do not choose to be mine as floating stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                          Telephone right of way hands down At the island???
                          Not too far from it!

Comment

I can hunt the ones I do not choose to be mine as floating stands.
                            Exactly why I would choose 2-3 locations if you are allowed. You can burn an area out quick in East Tx.
                            Not to mention educating your animals.

Comment

Not too far from it!
                              Cool! Good deer in there. I'm just about 15 miles down the river from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X