Smoking when is windy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking when is windy

I'm trying to smoke a brisket today but this 20mph wind is making it hard to get temp up and keep it steady. I took our patio umbrella and rigged it up to block the wind for now. What's the secret?

What type of smoker are you using?

Comment

Just watch your weather. I don't think there is a secret, just makes for a harder fire. Point fire box opposite direction of the wind.

Comment

Just a offset stick burner. I had the firebox facing the wind. Seems like the other way would just suck all the heat out and not let it flow.

Comment

close the damper most of the way then adjust as needed. It will take a little while to figure out where it needs to be.

Comment

I would set the smoker like a deer quartering toward the direction of the wind with the firebox being the butt of the deer, this is my preferred method and my door opens to shield the wind when it is like this and it works out as I leave it cracked for proper air flow, just my two cents.

Comment

My little offset rig has the same problem. Usually I can get it running pretty good by using a box fan and facing the firebox away from the wind. I can adjust the box fan the the rear dampener to get thing running smooth.

Comment

The secret is a Kamado

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                  The secret is a Kamado
                  Don’t bring a knife to a gunfight

Comment

Secret is double walled pit with ceramic insulation. :-). Other than that, you just need to keep an eye on it and feed it slowly

Comment

Big green egg

Comment

I lean a sheet of plywood up against mine to make a wind deflector when needed.

Comment

I move my smoker over by the fire ring and burn wood there first. Then using a shovel and set of tongs, feed coals/ log into the firebox as needed. A lot easier to control the temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                            The secret is a Kamado
                            This

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cold 1 View Post
                              I move my smoker over by the fire ring and burn wood there first. Then using a shovel and set of tongs, feed coals/ log into the firebox as needed. A lot easier to control the temp.
                              Sorry but I just gotta say.... REALLY?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X