Considering re-homing my Labrador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering re-homing my Labrador

I'm writing this with a heavy heart. Dutch, my 7 year old Labrador may need to be re-homed. I've had him since he was a pup, and he has been a great hunting partner. He's equally comfortable in the duck blind or sprawled out on the living room floor. Unfortunately, he's gotten cantankerous in the past year. He bit my niece last year when she jumped on him while he was sleeping on the floor. She shouldn't have jumped on him, but still he shouldn't have bitten her. He's also gotten to the point that he won't tolerate other dogs. He doesn't show a bit of aggression around the house, but introduce another dog and his temper is razor thin. It's possible he could be worked with and socialized. He's taken training very well in the past. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to continue to risk keeping him in the house with my 4 year old son.

Anyone who might be interested in adopting him can have him for free, but they need to be aware of the following:
    1) I would not risk him with young kids.
    2) He needs to either be the only dog, or be housed with someone who is experienced in handling these situations.
    3) I will want to meet with you to discuss. I care a great deal for this dog and WILL NOT send him somewhere where he will be abused or neglected.
    4) He has an allergy issue and requires a prescription for Apoquel, which is not cheap.
    5) He's lived indoors his entire life and is housebroken and crate trained.
    6) He is a worthwhile companion. You will get back all of the love you give ten fold.

I am going on vacation this week and will be out of town. If anyone is interested, please PM me or leave a message here and we can set something up for when I return. Dutch deserves a great home, and I really don't want to see him go, but I have to put my kids first and can't take the risk.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Slow&Steady; 03-09-2018, 04:56 PM.

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
    I'm writing this with a heavy heart. Dutch, my 7 year old Labrador may need to be re-homed. I've had him since he was a pup, and he has been a great hunting partner. He's equally comfortable in the duck blind or sprawled out on the living room floor. Unfortunately, he's gotten cantankerous in the past year. He bit my niece last year when she jumped on him while he was sleeping on the floor. She shouldn't have jumped on him, but still he shouldn't have bitten her. He's also gotten to the point that he won't tolerate other dogs. He doesn't show a bit of aggression around the house, but introduce another dog and he is temper is razor thin. It's possible he could be worked with and socialized. He's taken training very well in the past. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to continue to risk keeping him in the house with my 4 year old son.

Anyone who might be interested in adopting him can have him for free, but they need to be aware of the following:

1) I would not risk him with young kids.

2) He needs to either be the only dog, or be housed with someone who is experienced in handling these situations.

3) I will want to meet with you to discuss. I care a great deal for this dog and WILL NOT send him somewhere where he will be abused or neglected.

4) He has an allergy issue and requires a prescription for Apoquel, which is not cheap.

5) He's lived indoors his entire life and is housebroken and crate trained.

6) He is a worthwhile companion. You will get back all of the love you give ten fold.

I am going on vacation this week and will be out of town. If anyone is interested, please PM me or leave a message here and we can set something up for when I return. Dutch deserves a great home, and I really don't want to see him go, but I have to put my kids first and can't take the risk.

Tough decision to have to make. Dutch a great dog, I’m sorry that it’s come to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very tough. Hope you find a good owner for him.

Comment

Our lab did the exact same thing around 7 years of age. He is now just a grumpy old ******* that has his own room . lol

Comment

Sorry about your situation but understand your kids come first! I really hope Dutch finds the perfect home!

Comment

Pm sent...

Sorry you have to deal with this......
            Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I hear Chesapeake retrievers can be the same way but from birth. Been around several and love them, but they are definitely a 1 person dog. Sorry to get off topic. I wish we could try to take him but we have 2 children, a 7 and 10 year old.

Comment

What you have is a behavior issue. He can be trained. So can the niece.

Comment

Keep the dog and train the kids. I grew up around coon hounds and grey hounds and learned at a early age what not to do around certain dogs! Kids are easy to train! Well unless the dog is just plain old vicious toward people, then different view all together....
                  Last edited by muddydog; 03-10-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                    What you have is a behavior issue. He can be trained. So can the niece.
                    Yep . My mom's Chihuahua bites her now and then. Dog bit me once...

Ain't no way I could get rid of a dog I've had 7 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                      Very tough. Hope you find a good owner for him.

Comment

For those of you saying keep the dog an train the kids, I hope you never have to deal with this. He’s a great dog 99.9% of the time, but that 0.1% is not acceptable. My son is just turning 4 and accidents happen. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it isn’t funny, cute, or something that could be laughed off when a pretty little 5yo girl gets bitten. Also, a 5lb chihuahua with a bad attitude isn’t even in the same ballpark as an 80lb lab who’s suddenly become volatile with other dogs and kids. I understand it’s a behavior issue, but he lives in the house with my family. I’ve trained several dogs and I know how to address most behavior issues, and I’m not willing to have him in my house with my kids during that process. That said, I live in the suburbs and really can’t make a suitable arrangement outdoors considering all of the dogs in the neighborhood. I wish it never would have come to this, but it has. Bottom line, my kids come first.

Comment

For those of you saying keep the dog an train the kids, I hope you never have to deal with this. He’s a great dog 99.9% of the time, but that 0.1% is not acceptable. My son is just turning 4 and accidents happen. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that it isn’t funny, cute, or something that could be laughed off when a pretty little 5yo girl gets bitten. Also, a 5lb chihuahua with a bad attitude isn’t even in the same ballpark as an 80lb lab who’s suddenly become volatile with other dogs and kids. I understand it’s a behavior issue, but he lives in the house with my family. I’ve trained several dogs and I know how to address most behavior issues, and I’m not willing to have him in my house with my kids during that process. That said, I live in the suburbs and really can’t make a suitable arrangement outdoors considering all of the dogs in the neighborhood. I wish it never would have come to this, but it has. Bottom line, my kids come first.
                          I agree 100% with this decision. Not only for your kids, but friends and family.
                          What if your kid has a friend over that doesn’t know any better and gets bit.

I know it’s probably hard, but I think you are making the right call.

Comment

While a tough thing to do, I agree with you.
                            A buddy of mine got his first retriever, years ago. Paid high dollar for the dog then even more for the training. His dog did the same. They learned the dog had cancer and suspect that is what flipped that switch. He was a great dog, just didn't feel well.
                            He, too, had to let his buddy go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My grandson's love my lab. She got even a growl or wrinkled lip with them if have to do something.

Have you considered a muzzle?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X