No announcement yet.

Wagyu Cattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no help with anyone raising them but I've sure ate some. Best beef you can buy and also the most expensive. The marbeling of this meat is excellent. I highly recommend anyone who gets a chance to try it to do it. Best tasting beef you can buy.

Comment

danm that cut looks good!!!

Comment

SLow cooked in the oven until rare to med rare, rest it and reverse sear it. I had a gal text me the other day asking how to reverse sear a steak. I told her steak and B. day wasn't until for another week and her husband must be anxious. After she texted an expletive or two I explained the process. Couple hours later she texted back saying her husband never wants another steak that isn't reverse seared, ever. LOL converted another one!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Gutierrez View Post
          Do these cattle produce Wagyu essentially guaranteed?

I thought beef grades were judged on the table not the hoof.
          IDK so I'm asking.

If so.
          Is it economical to buy one and have it slaughtered?
          Wagyu is a breed of cattle. They are the decedents of a few Kobe cattle that were brought over from Japan before Japan banned exports of live cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            So, is Wagyu a breed, or a grade?
            Neither

"How about the more innocuous term Wagyu (often domestic Wagyu or Australian Wagyu)? It is frequently bandied about as a synonym or “translation” of Kobe. See it on a menu or in a store and ask about it and you will often be told it is the breed of cattle the famous Japanese Kobe beef comes from. Many websites selling “Wagyu” say exactly this.

Another big lie. Actually, several more big lies.

Real Kobe beef is from a very specific breed of cow , just one of several types of Wagyu. In fact, Wagyu is not even a breed. Not that it matters much here, but actual Kobe beef comes from the Tajima-gyu strain of black wagyu breed - and by law, only from that breed. Wagyu, on the other hand, means “Japanese Cattle” and generally refers to the four main historically Japanese breeds collectively.

I know the folks at the American Wagyu Association are not going to be happy that you are learning this, but then if they actually think theirs is better than other types of beef, they should have come up with a new name for it, like “Great Great American Beef,” and let it swim or sink in the free market based on its quality. This is how most products are launched. It took Toyota and Honda a long time to build a quality reputation that matched that of American cars - they didn’t get there through the shortcut of calling themselves “Domestic American Automobiles.”

There is no authentic Japanese Kobe beef sold in this country, anyplace. Not one slice of it. What is heavily marketed as Kobe beef on menus is at best an imitation of Japanese beef, and at worst has no relationship whatsoever to the genuine article.

Comment

This is something that has also caught my interest. I've done a little research on them but not a whole lot. It seems the biggest issue with Wagyu cattle is getting the calves healthy as it seems to be more labor intensive and involved on your part than other cattle. As stated above, there are two breeds of Wagyu available in the US and each tend to have a unique characteristic to their quality of meat.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                Anyone raise wagyu beef on here? Looking to get in the business. I see in Japan theyfeed them beer and saki. Would keystone be ok? or
                Do they require premium brands?

Seriously any
                Tips would be helpful.
                I worked with a guy that is looking into putting a Akaushi bull on his red angus momma cows. You sell the calves back to Heartbrand Beef(I think) they are out of Waelder . I can give you his contact info and he can give you more info.

Look up www.heartbrandbeef.com

Comment

Nick and Sams in Dallas has several varieties of wagyu and Kobe steaks on their menu. One of the Kobe is $60 an ounce. That would make for an expensive ****.

Comment

I see in Japan theyfeed them beer and saki. Would keystone be ok? or Do they require premium brands?
                    If they won't enjoy a Keystone with me, then I don't need their high maintenance beef...

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                      I worked with a guy that is looking into putting a Akaushi bull on his red angus momma cows. You sell the calves back to Heartbrand Beef(I think) they are out of Waelder . I can give you his contact info and he can give you more info.

Welcome to corporate food production, same general formula as big corporate chicken and turkey they provide the breeder stock and you are now a slave to the standard
                      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

My son (ferrellv) works for the Rocking 711 in Jackson Co. they have about 200 wagyu momma cows and about 35 wagyu bulls. You can look them up on facebook. It is the best eating beef I have ever ate.

Comment

I have looked at the 711. It’s outside of Edna just down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post

This right here. I know the family that owns Heartbrand very well and they are great to work with. The beef is undeniably the best available to eat.

Comment

I have looked at the 711. It’s outside of Edna just down the road.
                              Yes sir the guy that owns it is a real nice guy. If you already have some good cows he will get some straws pulled from his bulls for you. They also flush embryos as well.

You can PM me if you would like his name and number. he likes showing off his cows. he will probably be having some cross bred calves for sale before to long.

Comment

This is EXACTLY what I want to do with a 40acre tract I just picked up.

I figure a few momma calf pairs should do me.
                                The neighbor next to me grows hay on his 80acres

Comment

Working...
                                X