No announcement yet.

Thinking of trying Lyft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a heads up, most reputable personal insurance companies will NOT insure you if you do ride sharing of any sort.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
      I wouldn’t be able to deal with all the drunks but I’ve heard some great stories
      I hear some unique opportunities present themselves to the single guys driving after the bar closes.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        Just so you know, you can't drive for Lyft or any of the other ride services with regular consumer car insurance. They'll refuse to pay any claims and fire you as a customer.

I have commercial insurance already just need to check on what it will cover. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

I’d rather downsize on things in my life instead of working 7 days a week. Sounds fun and all but that will get old real quick. Fuel will eat you alive. My buddy drives for Lfyt and is always gone. The other day he drove till 5am. Screw that if I was in your position I would sit down and figure out my bills.

Comment

Thinking of trying Lyft

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
            I’d rather downsize on things in my life instead of working 7 days a week. Sounds fun and all but that will get old real quick. Fuel will eat you alive. My buddy drives for Lfyt and is always gone. The other day he drove till 5am. Screw that if I was in your position I would sit down and figure out my bills.

I already work 6-7 days a week running a family business... just wanting to try it out for extra cash. The nice thing is you do It when you want to, not because you have to. If I get an emergency job/family need I sign out and go take care of it. We are downsizing big time which is why she’s able to stay home with the kiddos. Just trying to take care of my family the best I can.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
              I already work 6-7 days a week running a family business... just wanting to try it out for extra cash. The nice thing is you do It when you want to, not because you have to. If I get an emergency job/family need I sign out and go take care of it. We are downsizing big time which is why she’s able to stay home with the kiddos. Just trying to take care of my family the best I can.
              Got any rifles for sell 😂😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                I hear some unique opportunities present themselves to the single guys driving after the bar closes.
                Haha I can only imagine!

Comment

Read about insurance on their web sites, and more important talk to your agent/broker.

I use Uber for short rides like when I dropped off my truck for service. The usual answer to “do you make any money?” Is you need to put in long hours.

Going out Fri and Sat 10pm -2am and driving home drunk people? Think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                    Got any rifles for sell [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That’s not our family business I speak of, just a side project so far... 6 years in the making. I am running, a now 3rd generation, machine shop that is very successful due to service not profit. And btw yes PBBA does have air rifles/air shotguns for sale [emoji6]

Comment

I'm sure y'all have thought/talked about it...but has the wife looked into tutoring? My SIL is a teacher and makes some pretty good side cash as a tutor for college and HS students.

My brother did the Lyft/Uber thing and he was barely breaking even when he sat down and calculated the actual cost of mx and insurance into it.

About two years ago, I switched from taking my personal car to the airport, to hailing Ubers and Lyfts. The math of it was pretty simple: Uber was cheaper than paying for my driving and parking*. A…

^ He does a great write-up on his experience driving for uber.

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                        I'm sure y'all have thought/talked about it...but has the wife looked into tutoring? My SIL is a teacher and makes some pretty good side cash as a tutor for college and HS students.

My brother did the Lyft/Uber thing and he was barely breaking even when he sat down and calculated the actual cost of mx and insurance into it.

About two years ago, I switched from taking my personal car to the airport, to hailing Ubers and Lyfts. The math of it was pretty simple: Uber was cheaper than paying for my driving and parking*. A…

^ He does a great write-up on his experience driving for uber.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          I would search, Does driving for Lyft/uber really make you money.

I looked into it and seemed over the long game to be a break even at beast.
                          My ( estranged ) wife drives for uber. I think she said she averages $9/hr, mostly north houston area. With gas, wear and tear, waiting time between rides etc it sure doesnt look very profitable. Lot of miles wearing out your vehicle. Once this vehicle starts having issues she will be broke quick.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                            Cleaning up puke out of the back seat?

Comment

Uber charges them if they puke in your car. But you still gotta clean up someone elses puke in your car! Seems like she said it was $35

Comment

I always talk to my Uber/Lyft drivers about their businesses when I use the service. Here is what I’ve gatherered.

1) Start an LLC and get the proper insurance. 2) Use Mile IQ to track your mileage, so you can write it off on your taxes (this includes the driving you have to do when not shuttling a customer) 3) The nicer and bigger your car, the more money you can make. Look in to Uber Black. 4) Learn flight schedules. You don’t want to take someone to the airport if no flights are coming in the next 4 hours. You always want to be thinking about your next ride. 5) Working events where surge pricing kicks in is an easy way to make more money. 6) Don’t get a bad review. 7) Work for multiple services. 8) Get to know your customers. This can lead to repeat business or a side gig. This especially applies if you have a nice car. 9) Working nights can be more profitable. However, this can mean dealing with drunks. 10) Carry a gun (this is more my thought).

Comment

Working...
                                X