• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
    Delivery cost does not included punctured tires on ranch roads

That can add up quick..

Comment

I am probably kicking a hornets nest here, but feeding deer, cotton seeds bothers me. Some hunters around us have started feeding it and it seems that we have had less deer than in years before. Cotton seeds contain gossypol (sp.?) a chemical that is known to cause sterility. It was originally used, many years ago, as a male contraceptive, and it worked, too good actually. It made the men who took it, permanently sterile. The game biologist I have talked to say it is not a problem in deer or cattle or hogs. Still, they are mammals just like man. Has anyone ever done any conclusive testing to see for sure? If there is any chance at all in it causing sterility in deer why take the chance? Just my thoughts. I feed nothing but corn and protein pellets. Food for thought huh?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
        I am probably kicking a hornets nest here, but feeding deer, cotton seeds bothers me. Some hunters around us have started feeding it and it seems that we have had less deer than in years before. Cotton seeds contain gossypol (sp.?) a chemical that is known to cause sterility. It was originally used, many years ago, as a male contraceptive, and it worked, too good actually. It made the men who took it, permanently sterile. The game biologist I have talked to say it is not a problem in deer or cattle or hogs. Still, they are mammals just like man. Has anyone ever done any conclusive testing to see for sure? If there is any chance at all in it causing sterility in deer why take the chance? Just my thoughts. I feed nothing but corn and protein pellets. Food for thought huh?

It's been researched many times. If you don't want to believe the wildlife biologists then I'm not sure my post will make any difference either

What I read was it was only an issue in pen raised deer given high amounts of cottonseed without the ability to also consume plenty of natural browse. Even then the sterility was temporarily, and if cottonseed was taken away they would be right back to normal in a week or so. This was info I had read a few years ago when I first decided to feed it. It's pretty much a non issue for free range deer according to Wildlife biologists at this point.

Comment

San Angelo area cotton seed

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          It's been researched many times. If you don't want to believe the wildlife biologists then I'm not sure my post will make any difference either [emoji4]

What I read was it was only an issue in pen raised deer given high amounts of cottonseed without the ability to also consume plenty of natural browse. Even then the sterility was temporarily, and if cottonseed was taken away they would be right back to normal in a week or so. This was info I had read a few years ago when I first decided to feed it. It's pretty much a non issue for free range deer according to Wildlife biologists at this point.

This is pretty much what I have read word for word.

MisterB Your deer numbers being low is prob more related to the 2011 drought recovery and much better available food sources with out good rains than a little bit of cottonseed sterilizing your herd.

Comment

cotton seed does come in 50# bags

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
              My honest opinion is YALL don’t have less deer but YOU have less deer. When they really take to it they can’t get enough so I’m betting those feeding it have more deer now.

Comment

Originally posted by tmcbigdaddy View Post
                cotton seed does come in 50# bags
                Yes it does, and it is like buying a bar of gold compared to the bulk options. Feed stores in the Uvalde / Del Rio area sell the 50# bags anywhere from $11.99 to $14.99 a bag. Bulk prices calculate out as low $4.00 per 50 lbs.

Comment

Can one of yall show me a picture of how you feed it? Or the wire basket or whatever you put it in? How much protein does it have? Thanks

Comment

How many stations will 1 ton fill approximately and how long does it normally last once they take to it?

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                      Can one of yall show me a picture of how you feed it? Or the wire basket or whatever you put it in? How much protein does it have? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here ya go....Build a wire feeder and add cottonseed
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                          We use a 20 Ft Horse Panel and cut it in half and then roll it into a ring. This gives you 2 Feeder rings. The horse panel has small enough squares that the cottonseed will stay inside but big enough for the deer to eat through. Drive a T-post in the ground and set the ring over it. These will hold 600 to 750 pounds. Where I hunt the deer will eat it within 3 to 4 weeks, and that is with me having timed protein and corn running. Alot of folks use v-mesh horse wire, but it is not quite as sturdy, but also works well.
                          Attached Files

Comment

They love it.....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cookemerkel View Post
                              How many stations will 1 ton fill approximately and how long does it normally last once they take to it?
                              For the Horse Panel feeder rings we made. You can fill 3 of them full with 1 Ton. It depends on your deer numbers, but mine go thru 750 pounds in about 3 weeks, but that is also having timed protein and corn running. Also depends on time of year. From now till March they will be hammering it.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtip5575 View Post
                                For the Horse Panel feeder rings we made. You can fill 3 of them full with 1 Ton. It depends on your deer numbers, but mine go thru 750 pounds in about 3 weeks, but that is also having timed protein and corn running. Also depends on time of year. From now till March they will be hammering it.
                                Awesome, thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                                X