Question for taxidermists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for taxidermists...

I recently got several hides back from a tannery. (beaver, coyote, two otters, and a prairie dog) Unlike hides I've had tanned before, these were very gummy feeling. Kinda greasy with matted fur. Makes you feel like you MUST wash your hands after handling.

My question is this - can I soak in soapy water and try to degrease them without damaging them? Will it hurt the "tan" that the tannery did?

After the money I spent to have them tanned I'm a pretty bummed by the end result. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Unfortunately if you put them in soapy water they will dry hard. Once they are in any water the skin will dry up and you would have to re work the hide for it to be soft again. If you are mounting the animals it would work great because you have to re hydrate the hide anyway because you want it to dry hard around your form , but for just having the hides I would not recommend it if you want them to be soft.

Comment

Call the tannery

Comment

Originally posted by Jpenn24 View Post
        Unfortunately if you put them in soapy water they will dry hard. Once they are in any water the skin will dry up and you would have to re work the hide for it to be soft again. If you are mounting the animals it would work great because you have to re hydrate the hide anyway because you want it to dry hard around your form , but for just having the hides I would not recommend it if you want them to be soft.
        I'm not mounting the hides. I guess if I had to re-work the leather side to be soft again it wouldn't be the end of the world. As long as I won't damage them. That's my main concern.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
          Call the tannery
          I may do that. Don't know what they would/could do at this point, but I guess that's the point of calling.

Comment

ttt

Comment

What tannery if you don’t mind me asking. Want to make sure I don’t use them

Comment

Try dry shampoo, first. It's in an aresol can, spray it on the fur, let it dry, then brush it out.

Washing them SHOULD NOT damage the tan. It's just leather, with the hair still on it, but as JPenn said, when they dry they will be stiff, and not soft anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  Try dry shampoo, first. It's in an aresol can, spray it on the fur, let it dry, then brush it out.

Washing them SHOULD NOT damage the tan. It's just leather, with the hair still on it, but as JPenn said, when they dry they will be stiff, and not soft anymore.
                  I didn't know dry shampoo existed. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
                    I didn't know dry shampoo existed. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.
                    Yep. Dated a girl with dreads, and that's how she washed her hair. Your hides might smell like a tropical sunrise though.

Comment

Working...
                    X