Cable Damascus Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable Damascus Knife

Took a long break from the knife shop, I got burned out of mostly stock removal knife making. I've sold over 2000 knives the last 15 years and stock removal just became hum-drum. I had this cable laying around my shop for over a year and decided to fire up the forge and get hammering. I'll be back in the shop hopefully after the New Year (I have eye surgery Dec 19th) I should be ready to start swinging the forging hammer again. All my new work will be forged, and I appreciate all of you that I put off that were wanting knives. I'll be making my own San Mai, some Damascus and will be forging ball bearings steel and I'm sure other high carbons like W-2.
    Again, to all of you that I put off, I appreciate your business and all of you that have been long time customers.
    This one is going to one of my sons who wanted a small EDC.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	phpSeMkxAPM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	25134725

Name:	phpSS9ezaPM.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	25134726

Name:	phpyilXjXPM.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	25134727

That's pretty cool, Bob! I look forward to seeing your San Mai knives, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
      That's pretty cool, Bob! I look forward to seeing your San Mai knives, too.
      Thanks Sam, I think the first one will be 1095 core with 15n20 jacket.

Comment

That should have lots of contrast!

Comment

Well I have enjoyed the 2 that I got from you, can’t wait to see what you can do with a hammer.

Comment

I really like that knife. PM me a price for one just like it please.

Comment

Beings how I'm into steel erection and crane and rigging as my livelihood, I'd love to have a cable Damascus.

Comment

thats an awesome knife.

Comment

How high of a carbon content are you looking for on your cable?

Comment

Love that knife... shoot me a price on that style

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
                      How high of a carbon content are you looking for on your cable?
                      There's really no way to tell the carbon content of cable or a means to measure it. On this one I quenched it in oil and it did not harden so I re-heated it and quenched it like I do W-2 or 1095 in my brine solution and it hardened to 62 HRC.

As far as some you guys asking for price, I'm not sure yet, depends of where I have to buy it and how big a piece of cable I can get. It's pretty easy to find 3/4" cable but I'd like to find some 1" and prefer some 1 1/2. I know that the time I have to spend forging them the price depending on handle material will be in the $200.00 to $300.00 range.
                      I know that if I'm going to put the time into forge welding steel I want to add some really nice handles on them. They will all be one of a kind knives.

Comment

Do you make up your own brine solution? I want to try hardening a hoof rasp blade in brine instead of old once used Lou Anns peanut oil with corn meal floating in it.

Comment

There's really no way to tell the carbon content of cable or a means to measure it. On this one I quenched it in oil and it did not harden so I re-heated it and quenched it like I do W-2 or 1095 in my brine solution and it hardened to 62 HRC.

PM sent sir

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post

As far as some you guys asking for price, I'm not sure yet, depends of where I have to buy it and how big a piece of cable I can get. It's pretty easy to find 3/4" cable but I'd like to find some 1" and prefer some 1 1/2. I know that the time I have to spend forging them the price depending on handle material will be in the $200.00 to $300.00 range.
                            I know that if I'm going to put the time into forge welding steel I want to add some really nice handles on them. They will all be one of a kind knives.
                            Actually if you can get a mill cert it’s real easy to measure the carbon content. Reason I was wondering if you was looking for a certain amount of carbon content is because we have tons to cable where I work and I could get you as much as you wanted. We have to know the carbon content of all our steel and strand and cable because the carbon content will tell us if it’s going to be weldable or not.

Comment

You could do a spark test and guestimate how much carbon is in it. Just get some 1060, 1080, and 1095, and grind each of them, noting the differences in the sparks. Then grind the cable with the same grinding belt or stone and see how those sparks compare.

Comment

Working...
                              X