Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common misconception and advice from a novice archer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common misconception and advice from a novice archer...

Two things have come to pass after putting in alot of time and effort into becoming a better archer. The first being bow arm. Having had your bow setup and you have the respective anchor point(s) and form is for the most part sound, your bow arm is where it's at. It needs to be ROCK STEADY and never waiver. PERIOD!

The next would be the difference between maintaining back tension and holding. Holding is just that..holding. If you come to full draw and just hold the anchor point yes you actually ARE maintaining muscular tension. You would have to or else you wouldn't be able to hold the bow back at full draw...but this is not what you're looking for.

HOWEVER, back tension is something different. I've found that getting to anchor and pulling into it ever so slightly has shown even minor mistakes to be less obvious in my shot placement. HOLDING is not back tension/pulling through the shot...pulling back just enough into your anchor WHILE holding is what you're looking for. This maintains a more stable shot and ensures your pressure on the string continues directly behind the arrow thoughout the shot sequence.

My 30 target shoot score is about a 270 average. Working on this yesterday and EVERY shot coming to full draw, anchoring, aiming, PULLING INTO THE SHOT THE WHOLE TIME, and maintaining a rock solid bow are UNTIL MY ARROW HAS HIT THE TARGET produced a 290. The best 30 target round I've ever shot yesterday in a practice round. My course was divided into 10 targets sub 15, 10 between 15 and 23, and 10 23 out to 28.

Agreed

Comment

X2

Comment

I agree also, except that I don't aim so much as concentrate on where I want the arrow to hit, if that makes sense.

Comment

Proper back tension release will definitely make you a more consistent shooter.

Bisch

Comment

Good points Ryan... are you gonna dab a little bit in the southern region and shoot Clifton? I might be heading up there

Comment

Thanks for the tip! Would something like the Rigid Formaster help develop the proper back tension?

Comment

Originally posted by equin View Post
                Thanks for the tip! Would something like the Rigid Formaster help develop the proper back tension?
                Yes! It will surely tell you if you are not have proper expansion at release.

Bisch
                Last edited by Bisch; 04-21-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Good advise. Keep em coming. I need all the help I can get.

Matt

Comment

Great Point!

Comment

Great advice..those are great scores

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
                        Good advise. Keep em coming. I need all the help I can get.

Matt
                        k...

make sure you let go of the right end when you're ready to shoot!

Comment

Lol, I think I got that one figured out. But I can always use the reminder.

Thanks,
                          Matt

Comment

Thanks,
                            Matt

Comment

Thanks,
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X