DQ at a "fun shoot"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DQ at a "fun shoot"?

When I signed up to participate in the Hill Country Shootout, I was under the impression that it was a "fun shoot". At least that is what I was told by all who had been there. And when I heard all this uproar about the use of a plunger or spring, I didn't give it much thought since I shoot from the shelf. However, I was surprised at the ferocity to which TBOT wanted to stick to their dumb little rule and make such a big deal over nothing! Wasn't this shoot for fun? What's the rule for anyway? I can understand things like the obvious like don't shoot in the direction of others or no wheels or cams, but really come on?! Then when I heard that a couple of guys were told by a prominent TBOT official that if they didn't like the rule they could go shoot somewhere else, I was really surprised! Maybe those TBOT officials up there busy winning 6-8 raffle prizes should have been up there scrutinizing near perfect scores? I mean it may sound trivial to some, but it's hard to believe that a person can score a near perfect score, that is common with a compound bow in windy conditions, uphill, downhill, and long distances, and only hours before couldn't hit a target at 15 yds. on flat and level ground and spent more time looking for their arrows in the field or the arrow bucket than practicing? Again this may sound trivial, it may sound like a whining but I'm not the only one who noticed. And thus the reason why I will not sign up for TBOT membership since it just seems to complicate a fine sport.

seems to be a pretty contentious situation....

are there any competing entities?

Comment

I thought this thread was about the new mini-blizzard.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
        I thought this thread was about the new mini-blizzard.
        it's that drinkin thread you were on....contact buzz....

Comment

First of all, just because YOU think a rule is stupid, does that mean it should not be enforced? The rule is there and therefore should be enforced for EVERY participant. The merit of the rule can be discussed and the rule changed if need be, but as long as the rule is there it should be enforced for all.

Secondly, the Hill Country Shootout is a fun shoot, but not a "fun shoot". By that I mean almost everybody has a great time while there but that this is a very competitive shoot that draws some of the best trad archers in the state, and a few from out of state.

Thirdly, I was there and saw no scores that even vaguely looked out of whack. If you want to accuse someone of cheating then name them and show your proof. Insinuating that this occurred on an internet forum is in very bad taste; esp with no proof.

This still goes with the third point, if you are going to insinuate that a TBoT officer rigged a raffle, then please name them and show us all the proof that you have that this happened. Again, an open internet forum is a bad place to to make such insinuations; esp with no proof offered.

Fourth, I'm sorry that you have these views and that you would not want to join a statewide organization for a sport which you say is a "fine sport".

Bisch
          Last edited by Bisch; 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Mini blizzard my eye...this is a tsunami.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastflight71 View Post
              When I signed up to participate in the Hill Country Shootout, I was under the impression that it was a "fun shoot". At least that is what I was told by all who had been there. And when I heard all this uproar about the use of a plunger or spring, I didn't give it much thought since I shoot from the shelf. However, I was surprised at the ferocity to which TBOT wanted to stick to their dumb little rule and make such a big deal over nothing! Wasn't this shoot for fun? What's the rule for anyway? I can understand things like the obvious like don't shoot in the direction of others or no wheels or cams, but really come on?! Then when I heard that a couple of guys were told by a prominent TBOT official that if they didn't like the rule they could go shoot somewhere else, I was really surprised! Maybe those TBOT officials up there busy winning 6-8 raffle prizes should have been up there scrutinizing near perfect scores? I mean it may sound trivial to some, but it's hard to believe that a person can score a near perfect score, that is common with a compound bow in windy conditions, uphill, downhill, and long distances, and only hours before couldn't hit a target at 15 yds. on flat and level ground and spent more time looking for their arrows in the field or the arrow bucket than practicing? Again this may sound trivial, it may sound like a whining but I'm not the only one who noticed. And thus the reason why I will not sign up for TBOT membership since it just seems to complicate a fine sport.
              After reading your post again, it sounds like you must have proof that someone cheated. Please bring forth the evidence so the situation can be righted.

Also, FYI, a perfect score at this shoot would be a 600. There was no one even close to a perfect score as the highest score was 149 points less than perfect. Any good compound shooter would have smoked the highest score shot on this course from the same stakes in the same conditions.

Bisch
              Last edited by Bisch; 04-17-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                After reading your post again, it sounds like you must have proof that someone cheated. Please bring forth the evidence so the situation can be righted.

Also, FYI, a perfect score at this shoot would be a 600. There was no one even close to a perfect score as the highest score was 149 points less than perfect. Any good compound shooter would have smoked the highest score shot on this course from the same stakes in the same conditions.

Bisch
                I was just thinking, a mediocre compound shooter would have been at least 30 up on that course

And you had to buy the tickets and put them in the jar to win the raffle...
                Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 04-18-2011, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Popcorn: ready and maybe beer worthy.

Comment

If you think someone turned in a puffed up score card contact a TBot officer and give your information. See the TBoT site for contact #.

Comment

Fastflight71 Ive read your post several times and were you DQed and if so why

Comment

Maybe he is referring back to the '09 shoot when Jerry Vickery turned in a 492 and they let the score stand?

That's all I can think of

Dave

Comment

No, Dave, he is not talking about the '09 shoot. He is talking about the 2011 shoot.

Comment

Probably a drive-by slashing Deb. We may never know what he is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                              Probably a drive-by slashing Deb. We may never know what he is talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X