Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cerakote a Scope?

Ever had one done?

I'm looking at a new rifle with the burnt bronze barrel, action..want something really different.

Been researching different scopes and not many that offer this color to match with the exception of Leopold? From what I have read so far, it would appear one better use someone with a lot of experience doing it. Not opposed to getting one that is factory done but just not a lot of experience with Leopold..only a few owned to date.

Any ideas of who have you used if you had a cerakote job done? From my research so far, some Scope brands will NOT honor warranty if this is done "except" if it was done by a previously approved source...per Leopold?

In......getting ready to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on the Weatherby Badlands in 7mm rem mag. It has the burnt bronze cerakote.
    Buddy just purchased one in .257 Roy and was asking the same question as you

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
      In......getting ready to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on the Weatherby Badlands in 7mm rem mag. It has the burnt bronze cerakote.
      Buddy just purchased one in .257 Roy and was asking the same question as you
      Google "burnt bronze cerakote" and look at the Leopold results. I'm so OCD I would like to have the matching rings, scope, etc.? Never owned this color scheme before but at least for me I like it! My preferred brand of scope offers nothing in this color...for the sake of not getting bashed I won't reveal the brand I prefer, lol!!

Keep in touch and let me know what you find out and decide on...no rush here so time marches on.

Comment

It will be hard for an applicator to match a factory burnt bronze finish exactly. I would study it hard before committing to having it done. The pro list is much shorter than the con list when it comes to coating optics.

Comment

Just picked up the Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon it has the burnt bronze. I've been thinking the same thing. I did order some Talley rings that are factory burnt bronze so they should match. I already have a Leupold mk4 lr/t 4.5-14x50 that I will be topping it with. But I am in the same boat this (want it to match)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
            It will be hard for an applicator to match a factory burnt bronze finish exactly. I would study it hard before committing to having it done. The pro list is much shorter than the con list when it comes to coating optics.
            Won't disagree since I've never had it done, but I have done a LOT of research to date. Still open for debate?

Comment

This guy did a Tikka synthetic stock for my brother and it came out great. I’ve seen a fair amount of his work. He’ll do it and it’ll be right.

I’ve been contemplating the same thing with the Mesa from Christensen that’s in the bronze. Would hate to slap a black scope on that beauty.

He’s near the Cabelas in Buda.

Comment

For you guys considering this, keep in mind the Cerakote product that will likely be used to do this is the air cure version, which can be very slick. I have seen more than a few cerakoted optics that slipped in the rings unless they were OVER-TORQUED to the point of almost causing damage to the tube. It is a potential issue, along with a voided warranty. If you go with the oven cure(which most wont on optics) it lays down thicker and then you have dimensional changes between the rings and tube which can cause another set of issues. Not saying don't do it, just some things to consider before going down that path.

Comment

Working...
                X