AR rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
    If people are unable to find a buck that is 13" in an AR county, they probably wouldn't see a buck at all if it wasn't for AR.
    Exactly. trigger happy people

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      I wish the rule didn't apply to kids, but then the adults would have the kids tag their deer.
      Why? I see that as the main group of shooters taking young bucks. For some reason adults think young kids should shoot young bucks. If they trust the kid to shoot a 2yr old 6 or 8 point they should let them shoot the the mature buck they have saved for themselves instead. Most fear they will make a bad shot and loose a trophy how's that same fiat fair to a young deer?

When kids start to hunt it's time for dad or papa to put their tags aside to start guiding for them and they can just shoot whatever is left. JMO
      Last edited by justintyme8303; 12-11-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Louisiana is a state that needs to start this. I work with several La boys and they want to see it happen.

They know if a youngster gets off their reservation, he is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
          Why? I see that as the main group of shooters taking young bucks. For some reason adults think young kids should shoot young bucks. If they trust the kid to shoot a 2yr old 6 or 8 point they should let them shoot the the mature buck they have saved for themselves instead. Most fear they will make a bad shot and loose a trophy how's that same fiat fair to a young deer?

When kids start to hunt it's time for dad or papa to put their tags aside to start guiding for them and they can just shoot whatever is left. JMO

I think a beginner should be able to shoot anything to get them hooked.

Comment

I wish the rule didn't apply to kids, but then the adults would have the kids tag their deer.
            100% wish kids under (X) age could kill what ever they wanted. I understand to make a kid wait and earn a big buck, but east Texas is hard hunting and can be boring starting a kid off that way until they get hooked.

Reason why I hunt out West now...

Comment

I personally like the 13" rule but I think GW should use common sense.. If a deer is close and its the first time dealing w that hunter then let it go.. As for kids I like starting them off with Does and Spikes.. Their excitement is the same as if they shot the deer of a lifetime.. Then let them start big buck hunting.. I have hunted a lot with my niece this year and it has been a fun experience. We had a few mishaps with the bow but she did get it done rifle hunting w my wife..

Comment

Originally posted by duckman49 View Post
                100% wish kids under (X) age could kill what ever they wanted. I understand to make a kid wait and earn a big buck, but east Texas is hard hunting and can be boring starting a kid off that way until they get hooked.

Reason why I hunt out West now...

They are not waiting to earn a big buck they are learning the rules and being taught management to grow big bucks. Also learning its not all about trophy hunting and any legal deer doe or buck is a trophy. Teaching them any day in the field is a win. Have them glass around and birdwatch learning different birds make it a game. My son spotted a buck that way in the brush when he was watching two cardinals go at it.

I just think there is just way more to teach them about hunting than the kill shot. Get them hooked on the outdoors just spending time with dad and all this things they can do out there. The campfires and joking around and cutting up got me hooked before I ever hunted.

I just see way too many pics on FB of young kids with young bucks and everyone all happy about it. Teaching them bad management.

Comment

They are not waiting to earn a big buck they are learning the rules and being taught management to grow big bucks. Also learning its not all about trophy hunting and any legal deer doe or buck is a trophy. Teaching them any day in the field is a win. Have them glass around and birdwatch learning different birds make it a game. My son spotted a buck that way in the brush when he was watching two cardinals go at it.

I just think there is just way more to teach them about hunting than the kill shot. Get them hooked on the outdoors just spending time with dad and all this things they can do out there. The campfires and joking around and cutting up got me hooked before I ever hunted.

I just see way too many pics on FB of young kids with young bucks and everyone all happy about it. Teaching them bad management.
                  I agree for the most part. Doesn't bother me if a kid kills a young deer that is legal. But your right, shooting a buck is just a small part of hunting..camp life, camp fire, food, hunting stories, driving through the pasture, trail cameras, shooting squirrels, watching nature etc. That is what it is all about.

Comment

I would rather them see bucks the can't shoot and get the adrenaline flowing rather than see no bucks at all and lose interest. Without the AR I saw a 10th of the buck #'s I see now.

Comment

Agreed as well! My kids got bored, waiting ... now they hardly want to go at all.

Comment

Bad management? They couldn't care less about management when their time afield is so limited with school and all. They just want to come home with something, not sit in the weather for 2 or 3 days and every deer they see is unshootable, that still frustrates me at times but I'm an adult and I partly understand the AR but good cow, at least let their first deer be anything without spots. PFFFTT, ... management, that comes later when they're more patient. We're not all freakin' biologists here.

Comment

If kids are bored sitting around on the right deer you should try squirrel, duck, or dove hunting with them. Lots of fun action can be had small game hunting. There is more than deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Louisiana is a state that needs to start this. I work with several La boys and they want to see it happen.

They know if a youngster gets off their reservation, he is dead.
                            x1000

Comment

Of the 4 properties I hunt, one is an AR county and it by far has the biggest and oldest deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                                If kids are bored sitting around on the right deer you should try squirrel, duck, or dove hunting with them. Lots of fun action can be had small game hunting. There is more than deer hunting.
                                Ditto

Comment

Working...
                                X