Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #51
Russ79
Ten Point
 
Russ79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nacogdoches, Tx
Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC
Default

Not knowing what kind of business you are in another way to look at it. Generally when you go from hourly to salaried you become part of management which means more responsibility and many times you don't feel you are being properly compensated for the extra responsibility. If all you want out of your "job" is what your paycheck is then by all means stay hourly because you will never feel like you are getting paid enough when your are salaried for the time you put in.
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #52
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

You really need to know the added perks/incentives IMO.

I was hourly for a long time. When I was brought into the office 4 years ago, I got about a $15K/yr paycut when you look at my annual earnings on hourly vs my new base salary. I was skeptical at first but I took it anyway.

As things got moving, I was all the sudden given a brand new company truck (loaded out), all fuel paid for, deer hunts in Kansas, duck hunts, dove hunts. Then I got my 5 figure bonus at the end of the year

Then I understood the “pay cut”


Oh yea, working less hours and can leave early or come in late to take care of personal things if needed and not have to lose out on my “hourly earnings”
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #53
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

Salaried also has it's down side. Although you know your pay is going to be the same each paycheck, you may or may not be expected to work lots of odd hours and overtime. I worked on salary for many many years and seldom can I remember working a 40 hour week. Most of the time I put in 45 to 50 hours. I did have the security of knowing my budget was intact due to bad weather etc where the field people lost time and had to make up for it when the weather cleared.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #54
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

If you’re applying for the job because a new company has pursued you, or your current company is trying to advance you, you’re in a position to ask for compensation for lost overtime in the switch. This could also apply to you if you possess a skill set that they’re not going to easily be able to find elsewhere. If you’re just applying on your own, and especially if they will have other qualified applicants, I don’t think it’s appropriate to ask. If I was the boss, and had other good options, I wouldn’t hire someone who came in and immediately asked for a raise. I only read through part of this thread, so I don’t know which situation you’ll fall into, but tread lightly if you don’t have any leverage.

Last edited by bullets13; 06-17-2018 at 05:14 PM.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #55
Ryanm
Four Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan
Default

I would ask about the bonus structure before making any decisions. Most salaried employees recieve sizable bonuses when P&L goals are met... This does depend heavily on your industry though.

In a perfect world, if you're working alot of extra hours, business is good and your bonus should reflect that.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #56
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ79 View Post
Not knowing what kind of business you are in another way to look at it. Generally when you go from hourly to salaried you become part of management which means more responsibility and many times you don't feel you are being properly compensated for the extra responsibility. If all you want out of your "job" is what your paycheck is then by all means stay hourly because you will never feel like you are getting paid enough when your are salaried for the time you put in.


Iíve been salary for almost 20 years and Iíve never felt like that.

I negotiate what I feel is a fair salary for my time. Thereís times when I put in extra and thereís times when I have lots of flexibility. My check is the same either way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #57
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ79 View Post
Not knowing what kind of business you are in another way to look at it. Generally when you go from hourly to salaried you become part of management which means more responsibility and many times you don't feel you are being properly compensated for the extra responsibility. If all you want out of your "job" is what your paycheck is then by all means stay hourly because you will never feel like you are getting paid enough when your are salaried for the time you put in.
I'm in the natural gas industry.
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #58
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
You really need to know the added perks/incentives IMO.

I was hourly for a long time. When I was brought into the office 4 years ago, I got about a $15K/yr paycut when you look at my annual earnings on hourly vs my new base salary. I was skeptical at first but I took it anyway.

As things got moving, I was all the sudden given a brand new company truck (loaded out), all fuel paid for, deer hunts in Kansas, duck hunts, dove hunts. Then I got my 5 figure bonus at the end of the year

Then I understood the ďpay cutĒ


Oh yea, working less hours and can leave early or come in late to take care of personal things if needed and not have to lose out on my ďhourly earningsĒ
man, this sounds good! I want this type of paycut
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #59
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Salaried also has it's down side. Although you know your pay is going to be the same each paycheck, you may or may not be expected to work lots of odd hours and overtime. I worked on salary for many many years and seldom can I remember working a 40 hour week. Most of the time I put in 45 to 50 hours. I did have the security of knowing my budget was intact due to bad weather etc where the field people lost time and had to make up for it when the weather cleared.
this is true. honestly, I enjoy some of the late nights and comradery with my guys and will miss out on that if chosen for this new job. But, I'm looking to advance in my career and that is exciting as well
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #60
Sleepy
Pope & Young
 
Sleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnhtown View Post
man, this sounds good! I want this type of paycut
It also came with a daily headache!!

Believe me, there are times when I feel Iím not compensated enough. These are usually the times when nuts are dragging in the dirt and I feel there is no end in sight. And then there are the other times.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #61
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
If youíre applying for the job because a new company has pursued you, or your current company is trying to advance you, youíre in a position to ask for compensation for lost overtime in the switch. This could also apply to you if you possess a skill set that theyíre not going to easily be able to find elsewhere. If youíre just applying on your own, and especially if they will have other qualified applicants, I donít think itís appropriate to ask. If I was the boss, and had other good options, I wouldnít hire someone who came in and immediately asked for a raise. I only read through part of this thread, so I donít know which situation youíll fall into, but tread lightly if you donít have any leverage.
I'm applying for the job on my own, I knew it was going to open up soon and have been thinking a lot about it. I have a good support system around me at work (manager and supervisor) and feel I have a good opportunity at it. As far as asking for more money, I would be respectful and professional about it if the job was offered to me. And honestly, the pay might not even be a pay cut, I'm just speculating.
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #62
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm View Post
I would ask about the bonus structure before making any decisions. Most salaried employees recieve sizable bonuses when P&L goals are met... This does depend heavily on your industry though.

In a perfect world, if you're working alot of extra hours, business is good and your bonus should reflect that.
yes, I do know the exempt employees bonuses are significantly better but just don't know how much better as far as % goes. Not in a position to ask now
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #63
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnhtown View Post
I'm applying for the job on my own, I knew it was going to open up soon and have been thinking a lot about it. I have a good support system around me at work (manager and supervisor) and feel I have a good opportunity at it. As far as asking for more money, I would be respectful and professional about it if the job was offered to me. And honestly, the pay might not even be a pay cut, I'm just speculating.
To clarify, this is for the same company? If so asking for the raise (if needed) would be better, because theyíre already paying you the salary you seek for another position...
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #64
Da' Hitman
Eight Point
 
Da' Hitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Kerr County, Smith County
Default

I promoted to salary and the pay hike was significant, but the time and stress was too. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but definitely recommend you sincerely understand what the expectations are for the salary pozition. I went from working 4o hours/week right up to 65-70 hour weeks immediately. Pay is way better and benefits too, but a definite sacrifice to time and stress. That's just my experience. This is my first salary job ever
Da' Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #65
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
To clarify, this is for the same company? If so asking for the raise (if needed) would be better, because theyíre already paying you the salary you seek for another position...

yes, the same company.
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #66
bullets13
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fannett
Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnhtown View Post
yes, the same company.
Okay, that makes a big difference to me. Your employees already know what you have to offer, and if youíre worth your salary, theyíre likely to work with you if they want you to fill the position.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #67
hooligan
Pope & Young
 
hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Foard Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnhtown View Post
yes, the same company.
Does your career path and ability to grow and be promoted change if you gonthe salary route? That would be a big one for me. You will rarely actually work a 40hr week when salary but it has its perks. If you have the potential to be in a much better role and financial situation in 2-4 years I would jump at it

I average probably 55hrs/wk but there are some that itís 65-70 and some that are 35 depending on time of year and what accounts are where.
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #68
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Hitman View Post
I promoted to salary and the pay hike was significant, but the time and stress was too. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but definitely recommend you sincerely understand what the expectations are for the salary pozition. I went from working 4o hours/week right up to 65-70 hour weeks immediately. Pay is way better and benefits too, but a definite sacrifice to time and stress. That's just my experience. This is my first salary job ever
I'm lucky to get a 45 or 50hr week now on hourly, so im used to working long work weeks. I know another guy that works the position that I applied for and he normally works 40-45hrs a week.
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #69
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
Okay, that makes a big difference to me. Your employees already know what you have to offer, and if youíre worth your salary, theyíre likely to work with you if they want you to fill the position.
agreed
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 09:09 PM   #70
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Does your career path and ability to grow and be promoted change if you gonthe salary route? That would be a big one for me. You will rarely actually work a 40hr week when salary but it has its perks. If you have the potential to be in a much better role and financial situation in 2-4 years I would jump at it

I average probably 55hrs/wk but there are some that itís 65-70 and some that are 35 depending on time of year and what accounts are where.
yes, going the salary route will definitely open up more doors in the future. Your opinion about it is how I feel as well. Even if I do lose some pay, it will be more beneficial in the long term.
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #71
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Lots of good advice all around. I think these type of situations/decisions have different implications for different people obviously. Best advice I can offer is discusses all aspects with your wife (less money now = minus, more family time = big plus, more potential to grow in the future = big plus). At the end of the day, money isn't everything. Best off luck to you and your family with what ever you decide to do.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 PM   #72
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Lots of good advice all around. I think these type of situations/decisions have different implications for different people obviously. Best advice I can offer is discusses all aspects with your wife (less money now = minus, more family time = big plus, more potential to grow in the future = big plus). At the end of the day, money isn't everything. Best off luck to you and your family with what ever you decide to do.
thank you very much, solid advice
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #73
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Lots of good advice all around. I think these type of situations/decisions have different implications for different people obviously. Best advice I can offer is discusses all aspects with your wife (less money now = minus, more family time = big plus, more potential to grow in the future = big plus). At the end of the day, money isn't everything. Best off luck to you and your family with what ever you decide to do.


This is a very important point and canít be overstated. Whether or not itís been discussed, family time is important. Way more important IMO than a few extra $$ on a paycheck. Your family relationship will be stronger and for me, there ainít enough $$ in the world for me to sacrifice that any more than I have to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #74
sharpstick35
Six Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

I've been offered a salary position with my current company twice in the last year. I'm already near the top of the hourly pay scale and my benefits wouldn't change. the killer in the deal for me would be the huge pay cut. I currently put in between 96 and 112 hours a week with every 3rd week off. But like I said I'm already at the top of hourly so I wont be getting much in the way of raises in the future.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #75
txhunter90
Eight Point
 
txhunter90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Default

Salary a lot of times means more headache, but in the long run will be better. I have a buddy that is a petroleum engineer, he was a field hand first. Currently works in the oil and gas industry as a engineer in the office. He is thinking about going back to hourly as a field hand, because of the headache and stress plus not making near the money in the office as the field. I have also been looking to possibly find an hourly job, but I basically have low stress job. Can leave and take off when I want, and get off more than most holidays.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #76
CaptainDave
Ten Point
 
CaptainDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

It really depends on the industry as many are different.

With that said, for a large segment of the corporate world, there is a perceived difference and whether it's right or not, many in Executive management believe exempt employees are paid to get the job done, while non-exempt employees are just paid for their time. I'd also lean to say that salaried positions in general have more room for upward movement as compared to hourly; especially in the latter half of a career.

Again, it really depends and all compensation/benefit factors should be examined. There's no right or wrong answer.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #77
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
This is a very important point and canít be overstated. Whether or not itís been discussed, family time is important. Way more important IMO than a few extra $$ on a paycheck. Your family relationship will be stronger and for me, there ainít enough $$ in the world for me to sacrifice that any more than I have to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
very true! kids aren't getting any younger and neither am I
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #78
brnhtown
Eight Point
 
brnhtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: College station
Hunt In: Houston and Freestone county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
It really depends on the industry as many are different.

With that said, for a large segment of the corporate world, there is a perceived difference and whether it's right or not, many in Executive management believe exempt employees are paid to get the job done, while non-exempt employees are just paid for their time. I'd also lean to say that salaried positions in general have more room for upward movement as compared to hourly; especially in the latter half of a career.

Again, it really depends and all compensation/benefit factors should be examined. There's no right or wrong answer.
yes, basically, what is the job worth to you?
brnhtown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com