Cotton seed deployed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy8 View Post
    Just remember to take away the cotton seed a couple of months before the rut. It sterilizes the bucks, but given a couple months, they will be ok.
    I have never heard of such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
      I have never heard of such a thing.
      It's just temporary, but it does happen. Don't let that scare you off, cotton seed is very high in protein.

Comment

Just remember to take away the cotton seed a couple of months before the rut. It sterilizes the bucks, but given a couple months, they will be ok.
        Free Range deer will never consume enough to cause them to be sterile, at least that is what I have read and been told about feeding the cotton seed..

Comment

Where did ypu get your seed? Did you buy bulk or bags?

Comment

Who would have thunk it

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
              Free Range deer will never consume enough to cause them to be sterile, at least that is what I have read and been told about feeding the cotton seed..
              It is hard to keep my feeders full. They love the stuff.

Comment

Hogs will tear up the baskets at at the bottom. They chew on it to extract the oil and spit it out. If you find to much of the seed falling through the wire you may want to use the V mesh wire. Tighter weave. Good luck

Comment

Cotton seed deployed

We have not seen a hog on our place in the 8 years I've been there!!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                    If you find to much of the seed falling through the wire you may want to use the V mesh wire. Tighter weave. Good luck
                    I would really like to use that, but we already had the roll of wire that we used.

That V mesh is high dollar!!

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by ducks-and-bucks View Post
                        If that were the case there would be no hogs in south texas... or texas...
                        Hogs and coons can't digest it. If one was to eat too much it might die.

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                          This is what I've learned as well. Damon, it took our deer a couple months to get hooked and we kept protein feeders in the feed pens until they did--which kept the deer coming to feed pens. Don't get discouraged if they still aren't touching it after a month or so.

Mixing corn or some other attractant may speed the process but it draws hogs and coons as well. Coons may scatter the seed and hogs can tear up the feeders if you mix corn with the cottonseed. Just be patient and keep feeding protein until they catch on. You will lose a lot less due to waste which saves money in the long run.

Good luck!

Comment

This simply is not true in a free-range situation.

Comment

Question for y'all feeding cotton seed. Are y'all getting it in a super sack or a dump trailer?

Comment

I get it delivered several tons at a time in a haul truck with a dump trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X