South Africa Hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
    Bush buck are awesome as well and don’t forget the Poor Man’s Buff the Wildebeest !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll admit I've been watching too much YouTube at work and the wildebeest has me thinking now too!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
      I'll admit I've been watching too much YouTube at work and the wildebeest has me thinking now too!
      It is a good one, but they are a pretty tough animal, can it be done with a bow? Sure, I have done it as well as several thousand others, but they are no chump. It will take good arrow placement. Other than that, you are fine

Don't get yourself all worked up, just look at the kill shots for each animal and remember to shoot them in the shoulder, not just behind, but dead in the shoulder! The "V " is where you want to shoot them. The vitals are compact and forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Adansonia View Post
        It is a good one, but they are a pretty tough animal, can it be done with a bow? Sure, I have done it as well as several thousand others, but they are no chump. It will take good arrow placement. Other than that, you are fine

Don't get yourself all worked up, just look at the kill shots for each animal and remember to shoot them in the shoulder, not just behind, but dead in the shoulder! The "V " is where you want to shoot them. The vitals are compact and forward.
        Truth!

Do not shoot them like you would a whitetail!! Found that out the hard way!

Comment

Originally posted by Adansonia View Post

Haha the excitement of booking should wear off soon, then the long 19 month wait!

A lot of the videos I see they have what looks like pocket guides for shot placement. Do you know of any good ones for this?

Comment

Haha the excitement of booking should wear off soon, then the long 19 month wait!

A lot of the videos I see they have what looks like pocket guides for shot placement. Do you know of any good ones for this?
            I like The Perfect Shot by Dr. Kevin Robertson.

I have the big book and the mini-edition.
            Last edited by Phillip Fields; 01-05-2018, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Oh no, stay excited! It is a huge trip that most only dream of. Just don't worry to much about the animals. A good quality 450-500 grain arrow with a good FOC will do the trick on the animals you are after. The key is shot placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                I like The Perfect Shot by Dr. Kevin Robertson.

I have the big book and the mini-edition.
                I'll check them out, thanks!!

Comment

I'll check them out, thanks!!
                  I have the mini version, but also know that your PH should also be telling you exactly where to shoot it. My PH is very good about that. The angle of the animal and the environment around them can change things up some, but your PH will always know the right spot to put the shot when the time comes. I still remember my PH telling me to shoot a Warthog right in the shoulder. It was against everything I knew from hog hunting. Also tried to avoid that. But, he knew the animal and vitals well. He knew the Warthog was quartering too and that if I did what he said, I'd be fine. It took a few seconds of hesitation before I decided to trust him. But, it was perfect. Right through the heart and sunk the arrow to the fetching. That's when I decided, ALWAYS listen to your PH. They will ALWAYS know best. Its their job.

Comment

WOW, sounds fun. I hope to go some day.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                      I have the mini version, but also know that your PH should also be telling you exactly where to shoot it. My PH is very good about that. The angle of the animal and the environment around them can change things up some, but your PH will always know the right spot to put the shot when the time comes. I still remember my PH telling me to shoot a Warthog right in the shoulder. It was against everything I knew from hog hunting. Also tried to avoid that. But, he knew the animal and vitals well. He knew the Warthog was quartering too and that if I did what he said, I'd be fine. It took a few seconds of hesitation before I decided to trust him. But, it was perfect. Right through the heart and sunk the arrow to the fetching. That's when I decided, ALWAYS listen to your PH. They will ALWAYS know best. Its their job.
                      Good advice! Thank you sir

Comment

Not much of a PH if they do not tell you which animal to shoot and exactly where to shoot it. I always listen to mine and listen carefully.
                        Remember one thing also, in most places you will pay the trophy fee for that animal even if it is not found. Shot placement is critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Not much of a PH if they do not tell you which animal to shoot and exactly where to shoot it. I always listen to mine and listen carefully.
                          Remember one thing also, in most places you will pay the trophy fee for that animal even if it is not found. Shot placement is critical.
                          I figured they would be most helpful, but thought it might be beneficial to know a little myself going into it.

Comment

I figured they would be most helpful, but thought it might be beneficial to know a little myself going into it.
                            It's actually good practice to do now. After hunting Africa I shoot all my animals in the same place. You can shoot any animal right above the elbow and you'll be perfect. No bone there and always in the vitals no matter what animal. After years of doing this on whitetail and hogs I never worry about it when I go to Africa. It's now natural and one less thing I have to think about.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                              It's actually good practice to do now. After hunting Africa I shoot all my animals in the same place. You can shoot any animal right above the elbow and you'll be perfect. No bone there and always in the vitals no matter what animal. After years of doing this on whitetail and hogs I never worry about it when I go to Africa. It's now natural and one less thing I have to think about.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X