twin windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

twin windows?

I have some old single pane windows that i need to replace. Some of them are twins. At least that is what ive gathered it is called when 2 windows are joined together. Rough opening is like 59x63 1/2. Can i buy those at lowes or home depot? Lowes website has no idea what a twin window is.

Yes. You'll need to remove the nailer to join the two.

You might have to order a mullion strip.

Comment

What he said. ^^

Comment

not to hijack your thread OP, does anyone on here install windows? Fixing to buy a house and need around 15 windows replaced. They're a mix of singles and twins. Figured I'd hire it out instead of trying to do them all myself.

Comment

Ok thanks. Is there a method of attaching the two windows together where they butt? Adhesive?

Comment

My brother is the owner/operator of the Windows of Texas branch here in Angelo. Problem is he doesn't get to far east. Midland to Dallas would be no problem. I'm sure he would gladly help you out with any questions. He might even trade installation for a hunt or fishing trip. You never know.

Here is his information if you feel like asking him.

Zach White
            (325)7I6-79O8
            Last edited by benwhite34; 01-06-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

No glue. You break off the flanges ( one on each window ). Install the center mulion. ( looks like an I beam ). Bolt clips on top and bottom of window. Ready to go. Talk to your local lumber yard. Someone should know. If not, go somewhere else. It can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                Ok thanks. Is there a method of attaching the two windows together where they butt? Adhesive?
                they are joined with a mullion strip or mull bar.

those are an odd size a 2/6 x 5/0 window (30x60) would be a standard size but not stocked at store two mulled together would fit 60x60 hole depending on brand of window. some are 1/2" smaller.

installing the mull strip is done with screws after you remove the nailing fin from one side of window.

Comment

If ya have the time pretty easy to replace

Comment

Working...
                  X