Texas Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Advice

My uncle and I plan on hunting Lake Meredith this year during bow season.
    We have never been up there.

Any advice?

Do we need snake protection for footwear if so any suggestions?

Any places to stay up there or is it better to camp out?

How much Water should we bring each day out ?

We plan on hunting the north and north west side of the lake.

Thanks for any information!

Comment

Did you have any luck with the scouting? I'm planning on taking my Dad there this fall to hunt mulies and was wondering what to expect. We plan on packing in several miles on horse back.

Comment

Another note on amistad.. They do have mullies but they are very rare, but, you are not allowed to shoot them

Comment

Originally posted by scottfible View Post
          Did you have any luck with the scouting? I'm planning on taking my Dad there this fall to hunt mulies and was wondering what to expect. We plan on packing in several miles on horse back.
          If you are going horseback, check be sure and hunt the back of some of the big canyons. You'll have an advantage with horses. Lots of hunters but most stay close to the roads. Get high and watch down on the canyon walls or up on any mesquite flats up on top of the canyons. Get a good map from the NPS and look at Big Canyon, Devil's canyon and Saddlehorse Canyon onthe north side of the lake. On the south side look at Coetas Creek and everything between Mullinaw trailhead and Coetas creek.

Comment

I hiked in all those canyons you mentioned and around plums creek?

Stayed overnight, no campfire. Froze my butt off. Drank using a water purifier the Canadian river. Only saw one coyote and 3 doe. The grass and bush is tall down in the valley. We set up on a ridge and played a game of who could find the most pumpkins across the bottom. Like mentioned everyone stays real close to the roads.

That trip was fun but hard. It was hot during day and freezing at night. No fires allowed either. Feasted on mre

Comment

The deer were big but few in between. I hunted opening weekend there. Might be better later in year

Comment

Originally posted by mfsasser View Post
                Amistad doesnt have mule deer
                We will let that be your little secret.

Comment

Two TPWD draw hunts I know of for muleys are Black Gap and Matador WMA's.

I hunted Black Gap for muleys and javelina back before it was a draw. It was a great mule deer bowhunt. Haven't been drawn since, and I hear the drought really hurt the population out there, so I'd definitely call the biologist in that area before I considered applying for that one again.

But it was a great place to hunt, for sure. Very scenic, very remote and lots of critters. I shot a javi there in the early 90's.

John

Comment

Is there a permit needed for the lake Meredith hunts?

Comment

No permit required besides hunting liscense. I just saw they haven't updated their website for the 12-13 seasons. The season's don't always match TPWD because it's a National Park.

Comment

I just sent an email asking about seasons and when the website will be updated. I'll post/relay that info when I get a response.

Comment

Working...
                        X