Rutty Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rutty Meat

Killed a nice mature buck last weekend and am cutting him up today. The meat itself smells much more, idk, rutty maybe? Or gamey? I’ve never noticed the smell on does or early season/late season bucks. This buck though is pretty strong. Almost to the point I don’t really know if I even want to make burger out of it. I’ve got a Kansas buck and doe for burger grind. Would link sausage, breakfast sausage, or jerky be better? I’m assuming some of you know what I’m talking about. Smells **** near like he did when I was cleaning him up. And yes, I take good precautions when skinning and quartering. Had him on ice within a couple of hours after he deceased. Been adding ice as needed, with the drain open ad cooler tilted.

Leaving him on ice for a couple of days is my only trick. I don’t think I’ve ever had one smell as gamey and what you are describing though.

Comment

Kind of late since you shot him last weekend, but if you pour apple cider vinegar in with the ice a few times as you drain off the water over 4-5 days, it gets rid of the gamey taste. Still, I would try it with the boned out meat for 24 hours,and rinse it off before grinding.

Comment

I know exactly what you are talking about. Has a strong smell between urine and musk. In for solutions.

Comment

Last time I had this happen, I loaded up a big cooler with all the meat and filled with ice. Set it up to drain for 7 days. Propped the no drain end up on a block so it would constantly drain. Made great sausage.

Skinny

Comment

Skinny may be onto something there. I killed an OLD heavy 8 just over a week ago and MAN was he rank. when we walked up to him my son asked what the terrible smell was, and no I did not gut punch it. We labeled the meat "rutty Buck" before putting into the freezer. Back strap and hindquarters have been fine, but I am still leery of the rest.
            This was the biggest bodied buck I have taken low fence. I hate to waste any of him.
            Hope the best for you, let us know how it turns out if you do any grinding.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              Last time I had this happen, I loaded up a big cooler with all the meat and filled with ice. Set it up to drain for 7 days. Propped the no drain end up on a block so it would constantly drain. Made great sausage.

Skinny
              This

Rwc

Comment

U have a dog?
                My dog gets venison regularly and loves it

Comment

Debone and add a 1/2 cup of vinegar to meat, ice and water. Let soak an hour and drain and rinse a couple of times.. It will pull the blood and gamey smell and flavor out of it. I was taught along time ago to do this for people who do not like the gamey taste with backstrap.

Comment

I never had one smell or taste gamey. We quarter and leave in the cooler with ice and drain for 5 days then Debone

Comment

I've had does that taste like this too. The smell is exactly like a bottle of buck in rut scent and it tastes like it smells. Dogs get it.
                      I don't know if we didn't get the meat chilled fast enough or what.

Comment

Did you get all the glands out?

Comment

I have had one buck like that. Big 9 point swollen neck and you could smell it. Like a big Old Barbados Ram.We did the cooler deal plus cut up limes and put with ice. Kept the drain plugs open and added ice daily.

Made different types of sausage out of him. You could smell it when cooking

Comment

slice for frying, marinade in whole milk, fully submerged 8-12 hours, salt, pepper, flour and fry. youre welcome.

Comment

I brine soak mine and that's not an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X