No announcement yet.

great read ... Pharmacist's actions shut down Pain Mgmt clinic after son dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great read ... Pharmacist's actions shut down Pain Mgmt clinic after son dies

Justice for Danny

How a small town pharmacist caught his son's killer - and then took down the most notorious pill mill doctor in New Orleans history

Mr. Schneider is a hero who risked his life to shut down a pain management clinic in NOLA. The clinic was open 24 hrs per day with lines outside the building, 80 people deep at 3 a.m. just to get their fix. N.O. PD was providing security which makes this situation even worse.

I posted this story because it's a very good read and many of us can relate. Whether you're a drug addict in recovery like myself, a pharmacist who dispensed oxycontin, a normal person who grew up in rural Texas and lost their best friend or sibling to an overdose, or a parent who had to bury their child, this story hits home in so many ways. It's a 20 minute read as you may want to tag it for future reading.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...incart_m-rpt-2

Great read! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Going to read it tonight. I lost my great uncle to all of the things he could swallow or shoot up. He needed medical help not long before he died (he was actually clean at this time for the first time in maybe 20 years) and the nurse told my grandmother they didn't have enough drugs in the hospital to get him high enough to stop the pain. He stayed sober long enough to care for his mother till her death in September 2007. He was found March 3, 2008 with the needle still in his arm. My daughter was born March 3, 2010. I didn't even realize it was the same day but my grandmother said the Lord did that to give her joy on that day again.

Comment

saved for later

Comment

Just got done with this read. You have got to give it up for Mr. Schneider and his resilience from the death of his son. He could have just as easily turned a blind eye to this problem but instead pursued this massive drug ring despite the high levels of danger involved in fighting it.

Comment

What a story---stuck to his guns and the result has saved lives no doubt.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Great story! Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very good read. He believed in his cause and followed it to the end.

Glad they instituted that database

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very interesting read

Comment

Very powerful story. The two things I take away from it are first, it is amazing how much good one righteous, determined and fearless man can do. The other is, how in the world did all the various levels of enforcement - from federal down to local - let this epidemic get so out of control? The kind of "pill mill described in N.O. were/are common all over the country. It is inexcusable that they let it go on for so long. They have got a little better handle on it now but the epidemic seems to be unstoppable. Too much money in it I guess...

Comment

Needless to say, as a pharmacist myself, I love this story. Thanks Blake.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            Very powerful story. The two things I take away from it are first, it is amazing how much good one righteous, determined and fearless man can do. The other is, how in the world did all the various levels of enforcement - from federal down to local - let this epidemic get so out of control? The kind of "pill mill described in N.O. were/are common all over the country. It is inexcusable that they let it go on for so long. They have got a little better handle on it now but the epidemic seems to be unstoppable. Too much money in it I guess...
                            Back in the day, Oxycodone/Oxycontin was the miracle drug for cancer related pain. Around the mid 1990's, it was introduced to Physiatrists & Pain Management doctors who began prescribing it for acute chronic pain. There was no government regulation and the snowball began to roll downhill very fast. In 1997, I can only remember a few PM doctors in NOLA, BR, and Lafayette. By 2000, there were several dozen and the waiting rooms looked like a scene out of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Purdue Pharma invested millions in DC lobbyists to make sure their advocates were taken care of and doctors were pushing their pills. FYI - Purdue has made over $31 Billion on Oxycontin sales

I meet with PM doctors weekly and the system has definitely changed for the better. Patients now have to undergo monthly urine drug screens and are only provided with a 30 day script. Unfortunately, all those former patients
                            who were strung out on Oxy are now resorting to heroin and fentanyl to continue their high. This is why we now have a serious epidemic of drug overdoses in America. From 16 yr old high school students to 55 yr old attorneys, heroin doesn't discriminate. Use it 1x and you can end up in the obits.

Comment

Thanks CB for your perspective on this crisis. It seem that Federal LE “investigations” always take years before anyone is arrested.

Comment

Working...
                              X